• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

What does this mean? "Greek language, the mother tongue of the spirit"

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
I do not know and everything I have ever heard from the same place has never encouraged my faith.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I can hardly read Greek at all.
However, this is being reported across the web.
One article links to this speech that lasts 10 minutes:

An English translation of one article (Google Translate) has:
Mr. Bartholomew, after praising the face and work of the great composer Mikis Theodorakis, spoke about the importance of the Greek language, as the mother tongue of the spirit, that is, the language that is heard in the church services, as he stated, and connects us with a past of centuries.

The following is the Announcement of the Patriarchate:

Speech of His Holiness the Ecumenical Patriarch Mr. Bartholomew at the online event organized by the Consulate General of Greece in Polis on the occasion of World Greek Language Day, which this year was dedicated to the memory of the great composer Mikis Theodorakis and the great poets, whose works he composed.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Seems debatable compared to Hebrew (predecessor of Aramaic), Aramaic/Syriac (Jesus/Apostles' language), and Arabic one of the 1st century Christians' languages still used for liturgy.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
It sure isn't Russian. That's for sure..

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
The Holy Spirit inspired the saints to translate the OT into Greek and write the NT (plus parts of the OT) in Greek. There are many wordplays, nuances and even gemmatria that are proper to the Greek language.

This doesn't mean we should bring the Pilatian heresy into the 21st century, but I honestly just think Patriarch Bartholomew is using a rhetorical style that's pretty common in Orthodox Christianity. He's not being dogmatic. Similar things could have been said of other languages.