• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

What is everyone reading?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
'A Double Death on the Black Isle,' by A.D. Scott. :)

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
But my heart belongs to Finland
scamandrius said:
I dust this one off on occasion.  Good selections, though for an intermediate student (not suggesting you are), the lack of more copious notes can be a hindrance to building up more confidence.
I thought that the selections were too easy either, but I had to read it for a class. Still, the book is quite nice. Most genres and periods are represented.

The selection from Longus' Daphnis and Chloe, on the other hand, is quite difficult. It has some words that you wouldn't normally come across. At least now I got to know what 'grasshopper' and 'to play the panflute' is in Greek.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald

It always seems to make those 'best novels in English' lists... I'm not sure why I've never read it before.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Justin Kissel said:

It always seems to make those 'best novels in English' lists... I'm not sure why I've never read it before.
Ugh.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Lol, ugh to the lists, or the book, or both? I bought it for 25 cents at the ilbrary months ago, so I figured I'd might as well read it. Now you're making me wary...  :angel:

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Resurrecting Empire: Western Footprints and America's Perilous Path in the Middle East

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Justin Kissel said:
Lol, ugh to the lists, or the book, or both? I bought it for 25 cents at the ilbrary months ago, so I figured I'd might as well read it. Now you're making me wary...  :angel:
I just didn't like The Great Gatsby.  I read it twice, trying to like it because people made me feel as if I should, but I didn't enjoy it at all.  I much preferred This Side of Paradise, which those same people made me feel I shouldn't prefer or even like. 

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax.  Intriguing read so far.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Mor Ephrem said:
Justin Kissel said:
I just didn't like The Great Gatsby.  I read it twice, trying to like it because people made me feel as if I should, but I didn't enjoy it at all. 
Did you see the movie? I've yet to read the book but I did like the movie.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Alpo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Justin Kissel said:
I just didn't like The Great Gatsby.  I read it twice, trying to like it because people made me feel as if I should, but I didn't enjoy it at all. 
There are no fewer than 8 movie adaptations of the book.  ALl of them are bad because the book is bad.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
scamandrius said:
Alpo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Justin Kissel said:
There are no fewer than 8 movie adaptations of the book. 
But since one of the adaptations is fairly recent it was fairly obvious to which of them I was referring to. :p

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Deist
Jurisdiction
N/A
Justin Kissel said:

I've honestly never read many, if any, of those "best novels," The Great Gatsby, A Tale of Two Cities, anything by Jane Austen, etc. etc. included.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Alpo said:
scamandrius said:
Alpo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Justin Kissel said:

There are no fewer than 8 movie adaptations of the book. 
But since one of the adaptations is fairly recent it was fairly obvious to which of them I was referring to. :p
YOu can get the Robert Redford version on Netflix as well as one other.  Quit assuming things.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Nephi said:
Justin Kissel said:

I've honestly never read many, if any, of those "best novels," The Great Gatsby, A Tale of Two Cities, anything by Jane Austen, etc. etc. included.
DO NOT read anything by Jane Austen or the Bronte Sisters.  British Literature really took fifty steps backwards with those three.  Absolutely, read Dickens.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
scamandrius said:
DO NOT read anything by Jane Austen or the Bronte Sisters.  British Literature really took fifty steps backwards with those three.  Absolutely, read Dickens.
Backwards from Dickens?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Joseph de Maistre - Les Soirées de Saint-Pétersbourg

This guy must have had at least some mental problems since he's every bit as bloodthirsty as his guillotine-handling enemies. But he does make very good points every now and then. Even where I disagree with me he at least makes me think.

methodius

Elder
Reaction score
1/ 30 steps to heaven. Vassilios Papavassiliou.
  -a layman's version of The ladder of divine ascent.
and
2/ Orthodox spirituality. Dumitru Staniloae.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score

Scholastic Metaphysics: A Contemporary Introduction - Edward Feser

I like the approach this book takes, as it answers the objections which come from contemporary analytic philosophy.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
scamandrius said:
Nephi said:
Justin Kissel said:

I love the Brontes :( "Wuthering Heights" is my favorite novel of all time.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
kelly said:
scamandrius said:
Nephi said:
Justin Kissel said:

DO NOT read anything by Jane Austen or the Bronte Sisters.  British Literature really took fifty steps backwards with those three.  Absolutely, read Dickens.
Four, actually. Three Brontes and Jane, and all of them are my kind of girls. But we're dames, what do we know? ;)

http://whitepaintedwoman.wordpress.com/2009/08/01/it-must-be-rubbish-its-by-a-lady/

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Porter ODoran said:
You disagree with him?
I've never come across a writer or a philosopher I completely agree with.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Arachne said:
kelly said:
scamandrius said:
Nephi said:
Justin Kissel said:

DO NOT read anything by Jane Austen or the Bronte Sisters.  British Literature really took fifty steps backwards with those three.  Absolutely, read Dickens.
Four, actually. Three Brontes and Jane, and all of them are my kind of girls. But we're dames, what do we know? ;)

http://whitepaintedwoman.wordpress.com/2009/08/01/it-must-be-rubbish-its-by-a-lady/
But what I really want to know, Arachne and Kelly, is how you feel about The Great Gatsby

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Mor Ephrem said:
Arachne said:
kelly said:
scamandrius said:
Nephi said:
Justin Kissel said:

But what I really want to know, Arachne and Kelly, is how you feel about The Great Gatsby
Never read it. The plot doesn't interest me.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
After a few multi-ingenious pages of apolemical contrivances I can most assuredly tell you, if you will but listen, that reading the book will henceforth bring you multitudinous amounts of the most intensist of enjoyments heretofore unexperienced in your life. Also, you will read sentences like the previous one.  :p

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Mor Ephrem said:
kelly said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Keep it that way.
I haven't read it either. In university it was sidelined in favour of Their Eyes Were Watching God. Telling, I thought.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Arachne said:
Mor Ephrem said:
kelly said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Keep it that way.
I haven't read it either. In university it was sidelined in favour of Their Eyes Were Watching God. Telling, I thought.
This is wonderful news, really. 

littlepilgrim64

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOA
"Heavenly Wisdom from God-Illumined Teachers on Conquering Depression"  . . . wooo hooo  :laugh:

Need to switch-up to more light-hearted reading next go-round.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Arachne said:
kelly said:
scamandrius said:
Nephi said:
Justin Kissel said:

No it's not a dame thing. They're wonderful literature, if too different from our sensibilities for some.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Revelation / edited by William C. Weinrich, from the series Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture.

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Raylight said:
For the third time, I'm reading Mere Christianity by C.S.Lewis.

I re-read this about a year ago. Great book. I think this was the first book I read that opened me up to Christianity.

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
littlepilgrim64 said:
"Heavenly Wisdom from God-Illumined Teachers on Conquering Depression"  . . . wooo hooo  :laugh:

Need to switch-up to more light-hearted reading next go-round.
This book helped me tremendously when my my mother died. Heavenly wisdom indeed! And lots of it.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
The Antonines: The Roman Empire in Transition by Michael Grant.

The Thought of Cicero which is a collection of philosophical excerpts from the Roman statesman.

R

Raylight

stavros_388 said:
Raylight said:
For the third time, I'm reading Mere Christianity by C.S.Lewis.

I re-read this about a year ago. Great book. I think this was the first book I read that opened me up to Christianity.
Me too, this book and plus another one opened my heart to Christianity, it made Christianity make sense to me.