What is everyone reading?

Elijah

Elder
Reaction score
Thank you all for the reply; do you have websites with free books?

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Ioannes said:
Elijah said:
Email me and I will give you my books for free, that goes for anyone.
How kind of you!  Hopefully those who can afford to purchase the books will do so. 

Ioannes

Reaction score
Website
stores.lulu.com
Ionnis said:
Ioannes said:
Elijah said:
How kind of you!  Hopefully those who can afford to purchase the books will do so. 
Information should be free, the paperbacks cost pretty much what it costs to print them.

elijahmaria

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
irenikontheskete.blogspot.com
Ioannes said:
Ionnis said:
Ioannes said:
Elijah said:
Information should be free, the paperbacks cost pretty much what it costs to print them.
Every good author deserves a living...a patron...a paying audience.

You are certainly then free to make your skills available as you see fit, moment to moment.

It is not information that we pay for with an author: it is that part of themselves with which they invest the presentation.

M.

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Ioannes said:
Information should be free, ...
But what about the author? Doesn't he deserve some royalty or remuneration for his hard work?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
Jewish Books: 18 Essential Texts Every Jew Should Read
Here is the list of 25 books for Christians:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/01/spiritual-classics-christian_n_989623.html?ref=christianity

Begins with On the Incarnation and contains many other excellent suggestions.

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
^ Very surprised by that list.  Some excellent suggestions indeed, and at the least, some pretty good exposure.

As for what I'm reading at the moment?
A lot of journal articles not particularly relevant to the board.

I would rather be reading most of the ones on the Huffington Post list.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
orthonorm said:
Jetavan said:
Jewish Books: 18 Essential Texts Every Jew Should Read
Here is the list of 25 books for Christians:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/01/spiritual-classics-christian_n_989623.html?ref=christianity

Begins with On the Incarnation and contains many other excellent suggestions.

I've read eleven on that list (some in full, some in part), more than I expected:

1. Blessed Augustine's Confessions (Highly recommended!)

2. The Philokalia (Still working through it, but wonderful stuff.)

3. The Institutes of John Calvin (Read most of it during my Protestant days. Calvin was not a very good writer IMO, too redundant. Can't compare with Luther's writings, which as heretical as they are nevertheless are thoroughly readable and very entertaining.)

4. Pascal's Pensees (I've read much of it. Good writer and a good philosopher, although his "wager" is given way too much prominence for some odd reason. That's one of his weaker arguments.)

5. Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan (Actually a very Orthodox book written by a Protestant.)

6. The Way of A Pilgrim (Don't need to say much about this one.)

7. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (Riches and depth on every page!)

8. Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton (This is not a book about Orthodoxy in the "Orthodox" theological sense, but a wonderful read nonetheless. Chesterton’s arguments are wonderfully witty and profoundly logical. Great stuff!)

9. The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer (One of the most influential books I’ve ever read. The ideas are thoroughly Orthodox in my opinion, even though Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran.)

10. The Seven Story Mountain by Thomas Merton. (Written by one of my spiritual heroes, this is one of my 3 favorite books.)

11. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (A very good book, sound Christian apologetics conveyed in a very readable manner.)

Selam

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
White Field, Black Sheep: A Lithuanian-American Life - Daiva Markelis

Ah, memoirs. :)

jnorm888

Archon
Reaction score
Website
ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com
http://www.amazon.com/Disputation-Pyrrhus-Father-Maximus-Confessor/dp/1878997017 (The Disputation With Pyrrhus of Our Father Among the Saints Maximus the Confessor)

As well as re-read:
http://www.amazon.com/Free-Choice-Saint-Maximus-Confessor/dp/1878997025/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318847257&sr=1-1 (Free Choice in Saint Maximus the Confessor)

And after I read that I'm going to read:
http://www.amazon.com/Person-Christ-Christology-Emperor-Justinian/dp/0881410896 (On the Person of Christ: The Christology of Emperor Justinian)

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
The Fashion File: Advice, Tips, and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of Mad Men -- Janie Bryant

I love her work on the show, and she is incredibly thorough. I could have read an entire book about that.  Too bad it was her talking about how women need to wear heels all the time. Disappointing.