• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What is everyone reading?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
JamesLesser said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Porter ODoran said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
An in depth read thus far. I can't give a full assessment of it yet, since I'm only about 1200 pages into it. But I nevertheless highly recommend this book for anyone truly interested in the subject. The author does a masterful job of defending his thesis without confusing readers with clarity or burdening them with brevity. This is a book that will definitely leave you saying, "I read that book." You might not agree with all of the author's opinions, and you certainly won't understand everything he says; but this work will force you to consider vital questions, such as, "why did I read that book?"
Hahahaha! ;D
I think you were the only one who realize this whole thing was a joke. ;)

Selam

LOL, That was hilarious.  I'll be the first to admit that you fooled me.  Well played sir.   :)
:)

If that book seems interesting to you, then perhaps you will like this movie:

Selam

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
^ I am enjoying it.  I have been using his glossary and Google to look up words such as "speely." ;D

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Gamliel said:
^ I am enjoying it.  I have been using his glossary and Google to look up words such as "speely." ;D
I think it would make a cool movie. Runs a bit long. Maybe some TV channel can make a mini-series out of it. :)

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Jesus Fallen? By Father Emmanuel Hatzidakis (GOA).

Just started on this lengthy book on the prelapsian/postlapsian discussion of the Incarnation of Christ. Might have been able to start sooner had Customs been a bit quicker.

CopticDeacon

High Elder
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:

It seems to have a good balance of theory and practice, and despite the pop-psych/buzzword/self-help vibe the cover has, the material is fine and the author tries to back up the claims/conclusions with that science stuff. Also, I know I'm breaking the part of the guy code that forbids reading instruction manuals, but cut me some slack just this once, ok?  8)

I consider the Bible,  to a degree, and many spiritual books like Orthodox Prayer Life, The Ladder of Divine Ascent, Way of the Ascetics, Unseen Warfare and more to be instruction manuals.  They instruct you on how to grow closer to God/finish the race/Theosis etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm a guy so don't feel bad haha

Sam G

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Although it's far from an Orthodox book, The Closing of the American Mind by Alan Bloom.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gamliel said:
Anathem / Neal Stephenson.
He went too far. He really shudda kept with the pulpier shorter stuff. This was by far his worst effort.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:

It seems to have a good balance of theory and practice, and despite the pop-psych/buzzword/self-help vibe the cover has, the material is fine and the author tries to back up the claims/conclusions with that science stuff. Also, I know I'm breaking the part of the guy code that forbids reading instruction manuals, but cut me some slack just this once, ok?  8)
Guy Code just saying that seems to preclude you being part of those who would need this text, speaking of which, is trash. What are you "reading" this for?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Sam G said:
Although it's far from an Orthodox book, The Closing of the American Mind by Alan Bloom.
Oh it would go ever well with many here. It is definitely Ameridox.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
They are hiring everywhere in Pittsburgh. I literally couldn't order from Taco Bell before I submitted an application.

Having worked there before, if you wanted to actually understand what Camus is incapable of trying to get across in this text, I would suggest taking Taco Bell up on an offer.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Sam G said:
One of the more overrated books of the last century. Every now and then he's right in his criticism of the ideas of his opponents, although he overstates the importance that relativism holds in the minds of his opponents. His own ideas, though, are not much better either. His strict universalism, for example, is in many cases as bizarre as the relativism he so consistently critizes, and despite taking issue with the relativists much of his ideas about literature come from Nietzsche. He also has the tendency to see western philosophy and literature before the 20th century as a continuous and harmonious whole, which, of course, it wasn't.

He is often unable to avoid sounding like a ranting old man, complaining on how x, y and z were so much better in his days, which makes the book hard to enjoy. All arguments of merit in his book has been said better elsewhere, and those that are new are bizarre and often contradicted by the author without himself noting it.

Sam G

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Sam G said:
One of the more overrated books of the last century. Every now and then he's right in his criticism of the ideas of his opponents, although he overstates the importance that relativism holds in the minds of his opponents. His own ideas, though, are not much better either. His strict universalism, for example, is in many cases as bizarre as the relativism he so consistently critizes, and despite taking issue with the relativists much of his ideas about literature come from Nietzsche. He also has the tendency to see western philosophy and literature before the 20th century as a continuous and harmonious whole, which, of course, it wasn't.

He is often unable to avoid sounding like a ranting old man, complaining on how x, y and z were so much better in his days, which makes the book hard to enjoy. All arguments of merit in his book has been said better elsewhere, and those that are new are bizarre and often contradicted by the author without himself noting it.
The book made a huge impression the first time I read it (2 years ago), but I was rather disappointed this time around for many of the reasons you mentioned above.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
What are you "reading" this for?
It was available at the library, so I decided to give it a shot. At 1000+ pages I should have figured I wouldn't come anywhere close to finishing it, which I didn't.

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
A second heavyweight, 'Saint Cyril of Alexandria and the Christological Controversy, Fr John McGuckin, published by SVS.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women's Development, by Carol Gilligan

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Hostage to the Devil, by Fr. Martin Malachi. Superb story telling, terrifying subject matter.

What Happened at Vatican II, by John W. O'Malley. Because I want to know.

Alxandra

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
My Life in Christ by St John of  Kronstadt and  The Hermitess Photini by Archimandrite Joachim Spetsieris

liefern

Reaction score
Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works by Hieromonk Damascene.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Concluding Unscientific Postscript to Philosophical Fragments, by Soren Kierkegaard

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Started it tonight with the young one. Much hilarity ensued. :D

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
xOrthodox4Christx said:
Zinn definitely has some valid insights regarding the evils and injustices that accompanied the founding of America. Which is why I actually have so little respect for him. Anyone who can so clearly see the evils perpetrated against Native Americans and slaves has no excuse for their militant support of abortion.

Selam

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
xOrthodox4Christx said:
Zinn definitely has some valid insights regarding the evils and injustices that accompanied the founding of America. Which is why I actually have so little respect for him. Anyone who can so clearly see the evils perpetrated against Native Americans and slaves has no excuse for their militant support of abortion.

Selam
The Indians? I don't think slaves had as much self-autonomy in that respect.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
xOrthodox4Christx said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
xOrthodox4Christx said:

Selam
The Indians? I don't think slaves had as much self-autonomy in that respect.
I meant Howard Zinn's support of abortion, not the Native Americans.

Selam