Manalive

Elder
Reaction score
Cognomen said:
FountainPen said:
Manalive said:
Elder Ambrose of Optina by Sergius Chetverikov
This one alone is £39:53 on Amazon UK. Does it have gold leaf? #laughs
I believe it's listed as Old Calendar £39.53 (totally different).

It's $20.00 for the US version. So you'd spend about... £15.33 for it here.  ;D

FountainPen

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Manalive said:
Cognomen said:
FountainPen said:
Manalive said:
Elder Ambrose of Optina by Sergius Chetverikov
This one alone is £39:53 on Amazon UK. Does it have gold leaf? #laughs
I believe it's listed as Old Calendar £39.53 (totally different).

It's $20.00 for the US version. So you'd spend about... £15.33 for it here.  ;D
Good job it's not on my "Must Read" list then  ;D

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees

It’s 1791 and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is enlightenment Vienna’s brightest star. Master of the city’s music halls and devoted member of the Freemason’s guild, he stands at the heart of an electric mix of art and music, philosophy and science, politics and intrigue.

But six weeks ago the great composer told his wife he had been poisoned. Yesterday, he died.

The city is buzzing with rumours of infidelity, bankruptcy and murder. But Wolfgang’s sister Nannerl will not believe base gossip. Who but a madman would poison such a genius?

Yet as she looks closer, Nannerl finds traces of something sinister: a Masonic secret that might just be connected to his death. And as she listens to Wolfgang’s bewitching last opera, The Magic Flute, she realizes that the arias might contain more than just the music…

I've just started it, but it's an interesting read so far.  If you have any musical training and can understand the references to music theory (as I do), it's probably even more entertaining.  I'm a sucker for period mysteries and this one apparently has the Freemasons involved.  I'm also a sucker for anything Mozart related, so this book was tailor made for me.

I recently started up my goodreads account again.  If you're on there, look me up.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I just finished the chapter "The Grand Inquisitor" in The Brothers Karamazov.

Wow.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Asteriktos said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Asteriktos said:
Nitty-Gritty Grammar: A Not-So-Serious Guide to Clear Communication, ed. by Edith H. Fine and Judith P. Josephson
Is that kinda like Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults Upon Our Language, by Richard Lederer
Don't know, but that sounds like my kinda book  ;D
A few examples:

From a courtroom somewhere:
Q.  Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on dead people?
A.  All my autopsies have been on dead people.

The ladies of the church have cast off clothing of every kind, and they can be seen in the church basement Friday afternoon.

At restaurant-gas stations throughout the USA: Eat here and get gas.
I butcher myself twice daily.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
primuspilus said:
The 12 Caesars, for the 13th time  ;)
Oh memories.  I read the whole thing while in college.  Since then I have returned to Caesar often for reports and such, and Tiberius and Caligula for the humor.

EDIT - Oh, and for some gut busting chuckles you just HAVE to read Herodotus.

EDIT II - And don't forget Catullus and Martial!

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Catechism of the Catholic Church - It's learnin me goodly!

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I just looked up Orthodox books today, and I ran across this:

'Knowing and Living Your Orthodox Christian Faith,' by A.S. Bogeatzes

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/KNOWING-AND-LIVING-YOUR-ORTHODOX/book-fsQg8D2lWkSon_q_NlRWqA/page1.html

Has anyone read it? Do you know if it's any good?

Thanks.  :)

Stepan

Reaction score
going between Fr. Thomas Hopko's Orthodox Faith series and How to Live a Holy Life by Metropolitan Gregory.

Clerical title added to priest's name to make sure he receives the honor due his priestly office in the Church  -PtA

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Last year I cracked open The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy by Peter H. Wilson. Set it aside for reading some books about Orthodoxy, but now I am back at it.  I am about 1/3 of the way through and hope to get 1/2 way through by the New Year.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Finished Fr. Hopko's Rainbow Series as well as Wise Blood and A Good Man is Hard to Find.

Alaskan Missionary Spirituality, a collection of primary documents put together by Fr. Michael Oleska came in the mail the other day. I might start on that now.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
William said:
I just finished the chapter "The Grand Inquisitor" in The Brothers Karamazov.

Wow.
I just finished Fr. Zossima's monologue on Hell. I'm surprised at how profound the theology is for a fictional novel!

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
The most tragic thing I've ever had cause to read was an internal file note that read "Marcus Aurelius [name changed to something as ridiculous as the original to protect the innocent] improved this month -- he only killed two kittens".
LOL! Merry Christmas Mr. Akimori Makato!

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Papist said:
Socrates Meets Kant - Peter Kreeft

Philosophy of Mind - Edward Feser

The Philosophy of Knowledge - Kenneth T. Gallagher
Please don't post anything in the philosophy thread.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Schultz said:
Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees

It’s 1791 and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is enlightenment Vienna’s brightest star. Master of the city’s music halls and devoted member of the Freemason’s guild, he stands at the heart of an electric mix of art and music, philosophy and science, politics and intrigue.

But six weeks ago the great composer told his wife he had been poisoned. Yesterday, he died.

The city is buzzing with rumours of infidelity, bankruptcy and murder. But Wolfgang’s sister Nannerl will not believe base gossip. Who but a madman would poison such a genius?

Yet as she looks closer, Nannerl finds traces of something sinister: a Masonic secret that might just be connected to his death. And as she listens to Wolfgang’s bewitching last opera, The Magic Flute, she realizes that the arias might contain more than just the music…

I've just started it, but it's an interesting read so far.  If you have any musical training and can understand the references to music theory (as I do), it's probably even more entertaining.  I'm a sucker for period mysteries and this one apparently has the Freemasons involved.  I'm also a sucker for anything Mozart related, so this book was tailor made for me.

I recently started up my goodreads account again.  If you're on there, look me up.
Wish I had the time right now. But will certainly email the suggestion to myself. Sounds great. I had a whole epiphany regarding Mozart during a performance of the Magic Flute.

I haven't read a piece of a fiction in ages.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score

My copy looks just as beat up, and believe it or not also has a "USED" sticker on it  :D But I bought it from the public library for 25 cents, so no complaints!

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Got the following for Christmas:
The End of Sparta: A Novel by Dr. Victor Davis Hanson
Being as Communion by Metr. John [Zizoulas]
Byzantium:  The Beginning;  Byzantium:  The Apogee; Byzantium:  Decline and Fall by John Julius Norwich

Guess what I'm going to be doing for the next few months?  :D

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:

My copy looks just as beat up, and believe it or not also has a "USED" sticker on it  :D But I bought it from the public library for 25 cents, so no complaints!
Ecce Homo rulez.