What is everyone reading?

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos" by Steven Strogatz.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Finished The Violent Bare it Away (definitely one of my new favorite books, as disturbing as it is) and Everything which Rises Must Converge (definitely one of O'Connor's most darkly comedic stories).

Trying to get a good rhythm going of alternating between O'Connor, the History of Saudi Arabia and Marc Bloc's The Historian's Craft of a couple chapters in each per day.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
FountainPen said:

Might be my 101 New Years 2013
What kind of fiction is that? Mystery? Sci-fi?

Sorry, couldn't resist!  ;D

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Religion From Tolstoy to Camus

An anthology edited by Walter Kaufmann. There are texts included by Tolstoy, Dostoevsky (including the obligatory The Grand Inquisitor), Pope Pius IX, Pope Leo XIII, Nietzsche, Clifford, James, Royce, Wilde, Freud, Cohen, Enslin, Niemoller, Hay, Barth and Brunner, Pope Pius XII, Maritain, Tillich, Wisdom, Schweitzer, Buber, Camus, McTaggart and Flew and Hare and Mitchell, and Pope John XXIII.
Are you just trying to tempt me into the sin of scoffing?

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Just started this morning...

How is that? Does it support the idear that the Fathers all believed in a pretty literal creation narrative?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
A Christian Ending: A Handbook for Burial in the Ancient Christian Tradition - J. Mark and Elizabeth Barna

Replete with website:

http://www.achristianending.com/

Breezed through it today and am going to go through it more thoroughly. Best and most easily accessible resource for avoiding the nonsense that is the typical way of dying in the "First World" especially America.

Glad to see that more than a few of my ideas about my death fit solidly into a tradition Orthodox fashion.

Hope to have my casket soon.

Highly recommended.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
William said:
Asteriktos said:

How is that? Does it support the idear that the Fathers all believed in a pretty literal creation narrative?
Anything worth the ink it is printed on wouldn't.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
William said:
I don't know yet... fwiw it's a more academic book (untranslated greek sprinkled through the text and whatnot). There are 16 references listed in the index under allegory, so he does talk about that a bit. There isn't an index entry for "literal" (or a variation), but there are related things like "historicity of Adam" and such. I'll post on it when I know more...

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Asteriktos said:
Religion From Tolstoy to Camus

An anthology edited by Walter Kaufmann. There are texts included by Tolstoy, Dostoevsky (including the obligatory The Grand Inquisitor), Pope Pius IX, Pope Leo XIII, Nietzsche, Clifford, James, Royce, Wilde, Freud, Cohen, Enslin, Niemoller, Hay, Barth and Brunner, Pope Pius XII, Maritain, Tillich, Wisdom, Schweitzer, Buber, Camus, McTaggart and Flew and Hare and Mitchell, and Pope John XXIII.
Are you just trying to tempt me into the sin of scoffing?
;D  The funny thing is that, in his introduction to Ecce Homo, Kaufmann seems to speak out against this type of thing:

"The body of knowledge keeps increasing at incredible speed, but the literature of nonknowledge grows even faster. Books multiply like mushrooms, or rather like toadstools--mildew would be still more precise--and even those who read books come perforce to depend more and more on knowledge about books, writers and, if at all possible--for this is the intellectual, or rather the nonintellectual, equivalent of a bargain--movements. As long as one knows about existentialism, one can talk about a large number of authors without having actually read their books." (emphasis his)

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
William said:
Asteriktos said:

If memory serves, St Basil mentioned that not all of the Old Testament is to be taken literally. However, I do not recall where I read this.

But, if someone is going to be making such an ahistorical argument that literal understanding of the Bible were the norm throughout the Church, then referring to the works of learned Church Fathers would not help anyway since the person is choosing to only listen to history that they agree with.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
"Read Me," by Neal Stephenson. Well, I'll be starting it later. Just got it out of the library.  :)

FountainPen

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I'm not enjoying my books. I feel we should start a book exchange then i could swap them for something more interesting. It could be a secret book exchange then you wouldn't know what you'd be getting.

:laugh:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I plan on responding to Reply #2150 eventually, but I also started another one on the same subject:

This one seems to be much more popular level, and also focused more on practical concerns and not exegesis/historical stuff...

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
FountainPen said:
I'm not enjoying my books. I feel we should start a book exchange then i could swap them for something more interesting. It could be a secret book exchange then you wouldn't know what you'd be getting.

:laugh:
Well now that we know your plan... . .  ;D