• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What is everyone reading?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Severian said:
LotR- the Fellowship of the Ring
Goodness, that dragged. 'The Council of Elrond' chapter took me literally days to wade through. :-\

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Severian said:
Goodness, that dragged. 'The Council of Elrond' chapter took me literally days to wade through. :-\
That's one of the best parts. A slow pace, a lot of lore and an idyllic setting.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Severian said:
Arachne said:
Severian said:
Did you manage to read through the whole trilogy?
Yup. The other two books together took me less time than that first.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Arachne said:
Severian said:
Arachne said:
Severian said:
Thank you for your response. I'm trying to become part of a new fandom since Star Wars has basically gone south. I figure LotR is as good a franchise as any.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Severian said:
Arachne said:
Severian said:
Arachne said:
Severian said:
Thank you for your response. I'm trying to become part of a new fandom since Star Wars has basically gone south. I figure LotR is as good a franchise as any.
Tolkien had too big a motor for his boat; that is, his literary vision was way beyond his capacity to convey it. His writing is downright dull in many places. A friend, who did her PhD on him, says he was like that as a lecturer as well - dull as ditchwater. You won't appreciate Tolkien if you stick to his words, only if you let your imagination go beyond them.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Arachne said:
Severian said:
Arachne said:
Severian said:
Arachne said:
Severian said:
Tolkien had too big a motor for his boat; that is, his literary vision was way beyond his capacity to convey it. His writing is downright dull in many places. A friend, who did her PhD on him, says he was like that as a lecturer as well - dull as ditchwater. You won't appreciate Tolkien if you stick to his words, only if you let your imagination go beyond them.
I see, thank you for the advice.  I noticed that myself even in the first few chapters of the book.

What's truly impressive is how well-developed (and involved) the lore is.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Arachne said:
Severian said:
Arachne said:
Severian said:
Arachne said:
Severian said:
U gives me a Sad

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Had to take a break from reading Children of the Mind.  Storm of Steel came in and I sat down to read the first paragraph and was totally engrossed.  His writing style is very poetic.  The author has a dry sense of humour and adds a sense of beauty to the horror and misery he endured.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
vamrat said:
Had to take a break from reading Children of the Mind.  Storm of Steel came in and I sat down to read the first paragraph and was totally engrossed.  His writing style is very poetic.  The author has a dry sense of humour and adds a sense of beauty to the horror and misery he endured.
I can't believe you aren't already a fan of Storm of Steel.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
vamrat said:
I can't believe you aren't already a fan of Storm of Steel.
Believe it or not, I just heard of it a few months ago and take a while to get around to reading things.

(Yeah, I am late to the party seeing as it was first printed in 1920...)

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Halfway through Kh. Frederica's new book "Welcome to the Orthodox Church" and almost done a bio of St. Nektary of Optina. Both great - recommend them both!

Nicene

High Elder
Reaction score
I've started rereading Jaroslav Pelikan's; "The Christian tradition series."

Also listened to Unbroken, the book about Louie Zamperini. The suffering he endured and his life in general was enthralling and his eventual conversion to Christianity (which was not talked about too much in the book) was described quite brilliantly.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The Acquisition of the Holy Spirit / St. Seraphim of Sarov.

methodius

Elder
Reaction score
from the cover of the March 2015
[white caps. on black background]
  'THE WAR ON SCIENCE'
          CLIMATE CHANGE --- DOES NOT EXIST
          EVOLUTION ---- NEVER HAPPENED
          THE MOON LANDING --- WAS FAKE
          VACCINATION----- CAN LEAD TO AUTISM
          GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD---- IS EVIL

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
methodius said:
from the cover of the March 2015
[white caps. on black background]
  'THE WAR ON SCIENCE'
Needs a link to National Geographic, Cover+March+2015 just links to women's fashion magazines:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/science-doubters/achenbach-text

wainscottbl

Archon
Reaction score
St. Basil's Hexaemeron, Homily 1. Also reading all the Gospel accounts of the Passion. Read Matthew just now. Will read the others sometime today (Good Friday). Lord have mercy on all us sinners!

methodius

Elder
Reaction score
@ opus 118.
Sorry, I'm a computer Neanderthal; providing links to [whatever]  is beyond me.
But thanks for doing it for me...

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
methodius said:
You have the same avatar as Maria, so I immediately supposed this post to be hers and an accurate description of what she believes.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
A most profound and articulate argument against the Death Penalty:

Reflections on The Guillotine by Albert Camus

http://redlemona.de/albert-camus/reflections-on-the-guillotine/reflections-on-the-guillotine

Selam

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Two Elders on the Jesus Prayer

Quick Overview

translated and compiled by Igor V. Ksensov. A brief life and examination of the writings of Archbishop Anthony Golynsky-Mihailovsky and Elder Joseph the Athonite together with a theological comparison of their writings and how it impacted their lives. The Jesus Prayer connects not only these two spiritual athletes, but provides a continual spiritual legacy from early Christianity.

Most Westerners first discovered the Jesus Prayer through translations of The Way of the Pilgrim more than half a century ago (1952). The works of two ascetics of the twentieth century: Elder Joseph the Hesychast of the Holy Mountain and Archbishop Anthony (Golynsky-Mihailovsky) of Russia, are used. Because Archbishop Anthony's text assumes that the reader is a complete novice, other beginners will find this volume helpful. Each of the stages or degrees of Prayer are outlined and compared to the teachings of Elder Joseph the Hesychast, making this an invaluable benefaction for one who seeks to grow in prayer.
http://www.crossroadbooks.com.au/two-elders-on-the-jesus-prayer.html
Well, what do you know.  There's a pdf available for free.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
The 'Hellenization' of Judaea in the First Century After Christ, by Martin Hengel

What it's about/argues:

This short but highly significant study ...demonstrates from a wealth of evidence, much of it made readily available here for the first time, that in the New Testament period Hellenization was so widespread in Palestine that the usual distinction between 'Hellenistic' Judaism and `Palestinian' Judaism is not a valid one and that the word `Hellenistic' and related terms are so vague as to be meaningless.

--Amazon.com
I haven't started it yet, but it's already surprising me. I knew it was short (124 pp.), but what I didn't expect was that the main text would be 57 pages and the endnotes 41 pages. Thatsa lotta notes. Not that I mind...

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Romans.

I've been anxious on reading the Bible lately after work.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
The 'Hellenization' of Judaea in the First Century After Christ, by Martin Hengel

What it's about/argues:

This short but highly significant study ...demonstrates from a wealth of evidence, much of it made readily available here for the first time, that in the New Testament period Hellenization was so widespread in Palestine that the usual distinction between 'Hellenistic' Judaism and `Palestinian' Judaism is not a valid one and that the word `Hellenistic' and related terms are so vague as to be meaningless.

--Amazon.com
I haven't started it yet, but it's already surprising me. I knew it was short (124 pp.), but what I didn't expect was that the main text would be 57 pages and the endnotes 41 pages. Thatsa lotta notes. Not that I mind...
Sounds like a devastating argument against any kind of Neo-Ebionite or Anti-Pauline position.