What is everyone reading?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
GabrieltheCelt said:
The Acquisition of the Holy Spirit by St. Seraphim of Sarov

So I bought this little gem for about a dollar for my Nook.  Wow!  This is such a wonderful little book.  You really get the sense that this this saint really and truly cares about humanity.  If any y'all have the means, go out and purchase or borrow it; you won't be disappointed!
Just ordered it on my Kindle. Thanks for the recommendation!  :)

Selam

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Yes, if you do a Kindle search for 'Orthodox,' they have some surprisingly good stuff, and many older historical titles are now on ebook for $1 or so. :) I used to have a Kindle. I have a Nook Color now.

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Within the last month I've read:

The Long Emergency - James Howard Kunstler
The Geography of Nowhere - James Howard Kunstler
Lost to the West - Lars Brownsworth

I'm currently reading:

The Fall of Constantinople 1453 - Steven Runciman

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
I've recently taken to hunting down antique books lately. Bought a 1932 Georgia (US) history textbook (the things they said about black people are almost amusing--if they weren't so incredibly ignorant and biased) from a book sale at my university; bought a book of the early speeches of Wilfird Laurier, Canadian PM from 1896-1911, that was printed in 1890; and now I just bought a volume of Montesquieu's Persian Letters that was printed in Scotland in 1773. Can't say I agree with all Montesquieu says, but he definitely had some interesting things to say.

HabteSelassie

Archon
Reaction score
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I just finished The Hunchback of Notre-Dame.  Aside from a classic, this really is an epic novel! I loved it!  So funny and yet so well crafted! Such depth of imagery and casual insertion of mythic symbolism.  The dialogue was superb, the narration insightful without being dry or invasive.  The plot incredible.  

I love the combination of Church and gangster scandals, which is why one of my favorite contemporary authors is Arturo Perez-Reverte!  

I especially enjoyed how all the characters and events were interconnected, sometimes obviously, sometimes loosely, and how there was a syncretic blend of sociopolitical commentary merged with the sheer audacious fun of the Roman Noir era of French literature
The ending was perfectly tragic as well.  While I usually read novels too deeply like an English Lit teacher, I just enjoyed this one for what it was.  Maybe after a second read I will reflect better on what the novel means to me and what the symbolism expresses, but for now, reading was just fun enough :)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The Reactionary Mind:Conservatism from Edmund Burke to Sarah Palin by Robin Carey.  It was recommended to me.  Not something I would normally read, but it has been very englightening.  I am thankful for the recommendation. 

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Well, in an attempt to cope with an increasingly great amount of boredom, I decided to peruse my book shelf and see if there was anything I hadn't finished or hadn't read for a long time, and realized that I never did get very far into An Overview of Orthodox Canon Law by Metropolitan Rodopoulos, so I'm reading that now.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Interpretations of Life: A Survey of Contemporary Literature, by Will and Ariel Durant

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
Well, in an attempt to cope with an increasingly great amount of boredom, I decided to peruse my book shelf and see if there was anything I hadn't finished or hadn't read for a long time, and realized that I never did get very far into An Overview of Orthodox Canon Law by Metropolitan Rodopoulos, so I'm reading that now.
I've read that one, and it isn't a cure for boredom ;)

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
HouseOfGod said:
Asteriktos said:
HouseOfGod said:
Asteriktos said:
The Greatest Prayer: Rediscovering the Revolutionary Message of The Lord's Prayer, by John Dominic Crossan
Is this book good? Has anyone else read it?
Crossan is generally considered fairly unorthodox, but this hasn't been so bad so far. Not as dry as the other stuff by him that I've attempted either. Probably not a great book to read if you're looking for an orthodox perspective though.
That's what I was thinking, he's a Catholic priest, isn't he?
He was at one point but left the Priesthood for a woman. I don't think he is still regarded as a Roman Catholic based on the ideas he has espoused in various interviews.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
Never been bored in my life, but if I were, this is probably not how I would approach it.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
JamesRottnek said:
I've read that one, and it isn't a cure for boredom ;)
Lol, it's actually not bad.  I'm fairly interested in the subject matter, thankfully; but, it is certainly still not something that I can spend too much continuous time reading.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
Lol, it's actually not bad.  I'm fairly interested in the subject matter, thankfully; but, it is certainly still not something that I can spend too much continuous time reading.
Well I guess as long as you like it :)  I remember liking The Church of the Ancient Councils by Archbp. Peter (L'Huillier) more, but then that's a different type of book I suppose.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
JamesRottnek said:
Well I guess as long as you like it :)  I remember liking The Church of the Ancient Councils by Archbp. Peter (L'Huillier) more, but then that's a different type of book I suppose.
I've actually been meaning to get that one.

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Just finished reading Steven Runciman's book "The Fall of Constantinople", I have to say it is extremely depressing.

The hardest part was about the looting and sacking of the city. I couldn't help but sit there and marvel at why in God's name the Emperor didn't just immediately surrender the city and abdicate his throne, it would have spared so many lives, so many innocent people, so many icons and relics, so much religious literature. They could have spirited them away to Mount Athos or Russia (which was beating back the Mongols by this point). We would still have the icon painted by St. Luke as well...