What is everyone reading?

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Just bought a handful of books:
  • "Commentaries on Psalms 1-50", by St. Augustine (I pretend on buying other volumes when I can)
  • Presença-Langenscheidt German Grammar
  • Presença-Langenscheidt French Grammar
  • "Truth and Juridical Forms", by Michel Foucault
  • "I, Robot", by Isaac Asimov
  • a book about Brazilian Law History
  • a book about legal acts (so boring, and I still want to review the first chapters of my civil law manual before going into that)
  • commentaries on the ordinary articles of the Brazilian Penal Code
Before that, my last acquisition was a compilation of many apocriphal books I didn't even know that had been translated into Portuguese and some editions of a girls' magazine of the 50's. What can't you find in a used bookstore?

William T

Archon
Reaction score
wainscottbl said:
Origin of Species, by Charles Darwin.

That's an odd book to read.  Any reason for it?  I think you're best off just taking a modern life science course than doing a cold reading of Darwin.

Anyway,

doing my biennial (ish) reading of The Iliad

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
William T said:
wainscottbl said:
Origin of Species, by Charles Darwin.

That's an odd book to read.  Any reason for it?  I think you're best off just taking a modern life science course than doing a cold reading of Darwin.

Anyway,

doing my biennial (ish) reading of The Iliad.
I loved Origin of Species. Darwin was a brilliant man. You don't read it as a science textbook so much as insight on the history of science.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Started "The Northern Thebaid" last night.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Reading two very interesting and well written books:

The Faith of Christopher Hitchens by Larry A. Taunton
http://www.amazon.com/The-Faith-Christopher-Hitchens-Notorious/dp/0718022173

Defenders of the Unborn by Daniel K. Williams
http://www.amazon.com/Defenders-Unborn-Pro-Life-Movement-before/dp/0199391645

Selam

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Actually, it should be a bit longer than 15k words. He even recommended me Conan Doyle, who has written books with about 300~400 pages, but I read one of Sherlock's books and I really couldn't force myself to like it. I will consider I, Robot, it has always been in my to-read list.
If you're still looking, here is a list of novels around the 50K word limit.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Arachne said:
RaphaCam said:
Actually, it should be a bit longer than 15k words. He even recommended me Conan Doyle, who has written books with about 300~400 pages, but I read one of Sherlock's books and I really couldn't force myself to like it. I will consider I, Robot, it has always been in my to-read list.
Thanks! But I've been reading I, Robot. 69k words. If I knew Brave New World was shorter I might have chosen it, awesome film.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Arachne said:
RaphaCam said:
Thanks! But I've been reading I, Robot. 69k words. If I knew Brave New World was shorter I might have chosen it, awesome film.
Yes, I, Robot is fun and hope you are enjoying it.
As for Brave New World, the apology to that story was the last book he ever wrote some 30 years later, Island, a rather long read but worth it, as it delineates how a society can be put together & structured for the benefit of mankind. But only when you have time (who does?)

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
LenInSebastopol said:
RaphaCam said:
Arachne said:
RaphaCam said:
Yes, I, Robot is fun and hope you are enjoying it.
As for Brave New World, the apology to that story was the last book he ever wrote some 30 years later, Island, a rather long read but worth it, as it delineates how a society can be put together & structured for the benefit of mankind. But only when you have time (who does?)
Awesome, maybe I'll read both of them. I have a lot of spare time, at least until public university gets its funds back, which may take up to 2017, and my job is part-time, which I don't plan to change that soon.

BNW sounds like the diametral opposite of 1984, which is often quoted in any anti-government discourse, but I'm pretty sure Huxley got it right.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
The Iliad is done, though I didn't really give it the reading it has deserved these past few years.  Hopefully one day I'll be able to give it a few more intense all encompassing engagements.  On the other hand, it's nice to know I can read Homer, Ovid, etc rather passively and halfheartedly and still derive pleasure from it.  Reading some Nabokov poems in my spare time as well as some old Elizabethan poetry.

Rohzek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Recently finished Leibniz' Monadology. It sucked. It was nice though, because right after finishing it, I read Julien Jean Offray de La Mettrie's L'Homme Machine, in which he said as much about Leibniz' idea of monads as well. He said it was incoherent, which is exactly how I felt. As for La Mettrie, I really enjoyed it. I didn't expect to enjoy reading an 18th century materialist philosopher, but he managed to hook me. In short, La Mettrie argued that all things are caused materially and at one point alludes to the theory that is now common in cognitive neuroscience: that things mental arise from brain states. La Mettrie admits that this seems at some level to be incompatible with material functionality, but holds out hope that it will be figured out one day. I will probably go back and revisit it, but La Mettrie's concept of Natural Law pretty much resembles Darwin's Theory of Evolution in terms of species propagation. In some sense, this makes La Mettrie an amoralist, because he doesn't take any morality seriously unless it concerns survival of some sort. Pretty fascinating stuff to say the least.

Right now I'm reading two books. Gerauld de Cordemoy's Discours physique de la parole and Alice Dreger's Galileo's Middle Finger: Heretics, Activists, and One Scholar's Search for Justice.

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
https://www.academia.edu/24296468/_Liturgy_and_Music_at_Hagia_Sophia_Oxford_Research_Encyclopaedia_online_April_2016

Yet, it is the liturgy with its large congregation, officiating clergy, and numerous choirs that brought about the effect of being transported to a place in between heaven and earth. Within its walls, a rich multisensory experience was created through the integration of architecture, music, acoustics, and liturgy. The material fabric of the building and its acoustics together with the liturgy performed by Hagia Sophia’s officiating clergy and the chants sung by the choirs formed the character of the cathedral rite. The architectural form and ritual performed in this space harmonized with the Byzantine philosophical and mystagogical explanations and enabled the religious experience of nearness to the divine 
An Encyclopedia article that is remarkably detailed.  Lots to learn for me anyway.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

An anthology of MtA-inspired fiction. My erstwhile storyteller has a story in, too.

jeffinjapan

Reaction score
Amazon just delivered, “Jesus, the Teacher Within” by Laurence Freeman OSB and, "Simply Jesus: A New Vision of Who He Was, What He Did, and Why He Matters" by N.T. Wright

sakura95

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Currently reading "Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church" by Vladimir Lossky which the priest at the Russian parish I attend lend me.

I'm nearly done with it.

There's a huge focus on Theosis and Apophatic theology throughout the book. The difference in theological approach between the East and West also pops out from time to time, particularly any contrast between St Augustine and the Eastern tradition. Sometimes he does considers certain aspects of Western theology, valid though usually that which is Pre-Schism.

I'm also interested in NT Wright's "Paul and His Recent Interpreters" which I saw at Waterstones. Sadly, I had to turn it down upon laying eyes on the price tag so I only got to read a few pages before putting it down.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Stayed up too late yesterday finishing the audiobook of "The Rosary Girls" by Richard Montanari.  :eek:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Wound of Dispossession: Telling the Palestinian Story, by Kathleen Christison

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just had this delivered:

Scuse me while I go squee and then read it through in one.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Just finished Balm of Gilead by Adina Senft.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Finally got around to Ernest Cline's Ready Player One. The plot and setting (for those who don't know, it's a near-apocalyptic future in which the only solace for most is a giant virtual reality MMO created by an eccentric billionaire with an 80s pop/geek culture obsession- who has hidden the right to inherit his fortune somewhere in the bowels of the program) are a lot of fun, as expected.

But the dialog! Eesh. It feels like I'm reading a Disney channel script sometimes (which one could argue is thematically appropriate, but that doesn't make it any less grating). Thankfully, the first person narration is not usually as bad and there hasn't been all that much dialog so far (I'm about a third of the way through).

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
LenInSebastopol said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
hecma925 said:
liefern said:
Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works by Hieromonk Damascene.
Beginning to tackle this now.
Excellent book.
Selam
Just finished my first of his books, Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future.
meh.
Is the above worth it?
I liked it very much. A bit too hagriographic for me, but it's a fascinating and detailed account of Father Rose's intellectual, philosophical, and spiritual evolution. It's very long but quite readable. I agree with you about "Orthodoxy and The Religion of the Future." Some frightening and disturbing parts in it that sound more like they're coming from an evangelical fundamentalist than an Orthodox monk. But I still love Father Rose.

Selam

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
A Great Idea at the Time: The Rise, Fall, and Curious Afterlife of the Great Books, by Alex Beam
So, how was this?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Astro City: Lovers Quarrel. Liked it better than I thought I would- and went from thinking that Quarrel and Crackerjack were kind of boring and generic to being a fan of both. It also had a great B-story and foreshadows some interesting things for future AC.

Now I'll likely get back to Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I didn't care for it.  It was exactly what I thought it'd be.

Rohzek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Sexual Personae by Camille Paglia. Time to see what all the fuss is about concerning this feminist heretic.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Rohzek said:
Sexual Personae by Camille Paglia. Time to see what all the fuss is about concerning this feminist heretic.

I've had that sitting on a shelf for two years.  Let me know how it is.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Rohzek said:
Paglia is an atheist. Or do you mean the fact that her version of feminism is often considered heretical?