What is everyone reading?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Another one from the library...

I requested a couple Orthodox books through interlibrary loan, but they hadn't got here yet...

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Tell me you have read "The Man Who Was Thursday" by Chesterton
I've not read any of Chesterton's fiction. My wife enjoyed the Father Brown stories, but I never got into those.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Achronos said:
I've not read any of Chesterton's fiction. My wife enjoyed the Father Brown stories, but I never got into those.
Do read that story, it is simply outstanding fiction.

I love Heretics, Orthodoxy, Everlasting Man, Charles Dickens, Intro to Book of Job, etc.

http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/books/

That link has all his works avaialble online for you to read. Let me also note that when he writes about people like Thomas Aquinas he goes off in so many different tangents so its not only about who is talking about but so much more. I really liked the Aquinas work at that.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Liturgy of the Hours in East and West / Robert Taft

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Asteriktos said:
Achronos said:
Do read that story, it is simply outstanding fiction.

I love Heretics, Orthodoxy, Everlasting Man, Charles Dickens, Intro to Book of Job, etc.

http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/books/

That link has all his works avaialble online for you to read. Let me also note that when he writes about people like Thomas Aquinas he goes off in so many different tangents so its not only about who is talking about but so much more. I really liked the Aquinas work at that.
Thank you kindly for this link.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
A little piece of edifying Christian fiction, none other than High School Sweethearts.

And by reading, I mean read.

So what was high-school like for Mary and Joseph?

Always wondered?

You need no longer. (Language and some adult themes. Rated for "young teens" or older, 13+)

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8021174/1/High_School_Sweet_Hearts

You're welcome.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
-Gospel of St John
-"Assassination Vacation"
-St Cyril of Alexandria's "On the Unity of Christ"
-Will be starting "Unseen Warfare"

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Severian said:
-Gospel of St John
-"Assassination Vacation"
-St Cyril of Alexandria's "On the Unity of Christ"
-Will be starting "Unseen Warfare"
High School Sweethearts a little daunting at the moment?

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
^Are you referring to my reading of Assassination Vacation? I plan on reading the first 100 pages then just skimming through the rest of it and getting some background info about the historical events described therein.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Severian said:
^Are you referring to my reading of Assassination Vacation? I plan on reading the first 100 pages then just skimming through the rest of it and getting some background info about the historical events described therein.
No, my silly post above yours, but let me know if it is any good as I have a buddy who might love it, if it is. He probably knows everything about the events contained in the text, but he might like if it is a decent read.

Thanks.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Ignatian Way to God, by Alexandre Brou (trans. William J. Young)
Byzantine Theology: Historical Trends and Doctrinal Themes, by Fr. John Meyendorff

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Too many books and not enough time to read. Just picked up Gogol's Dead Souls but will wait until if Dante is a go.

Itching for some Tolstoy. I have been completely biased towards the Russians whom I have an immediate kinship with.

Need to read more of the Old Testament. One day I will read Genesis in one sitting without closing the book and saying this is a load of crap!

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Russian Minstrels, a short history of the skomorokhi. Not a terribly exciting or well-written read but informative enough for my purposes. This book traces the history of the skomorokhi from their murky origins as possible pagan priests to their eventual proscription by Tsar Alexei and their enduring cultural legacy in Russian folklore, music, dance, and theatre.