What is everyone reading?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
orthonorm said:
Alpo said:
orthonorm said:
In what language? I've been trying to take it easy this week after some insane weeks of work, so this has been my method of winding down a little before getting early and decent sleep all week.

Eco is a genius. The intro is pure brilliance.

Enjoy!

And Alpo, you seem like someone who wouldn't mind a little ESL help, although you hardly require it as your English is quite good.

In American English for the most part at least, we borrow books from a library which lends them to use.

Let me know what you think of the book!

Do'h! I should have noticed that. Thanks. I try not to think of grammar while writing or speaking in English since being a perfectionist I could spend ages polishing everything but the method has it's downsides.

My copy is in Finnish. I try to remember write something if I actually end up reading it.
No you are correct in your method. It is one I should've adopted when learning the languages I did.

It was just a friendly correction.

Let me know if the Finnish translator followed Eco's own intentionally left untranslated passages or fragments in everything that is not in Italian.

I liked the English translator's decision not to offer an English translation for the parts of the text within the text or in foot or endnotes.
Did you skip over the Latin parts or ?
It ain't just Latin.

The Latin isn't terribly difficult and neither are any of the other uses of foreign languages.

Frankly, I find keeping the politics in mind more difficult. I've always hated history as such. In any historical piece of fiction, that is what I find the most difficult.

The references to prevailing thought is a bit too cute and feels forced at times. But I think the overall narrative to be just clever enough and not given to extremity by much so-called post-modern literature.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score

(Yes, that really is the cover of the book.)

I am about to start Slavoj Zizek and Boris Gunjevic's book God in Pain: Inversions of Apocalypse. 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:

I am about to start Slavoj Zizek and Boris Gunjevic's book God in Pain: Inversions of Apocalypse. 
That sounds awesome.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:

I may like this cover. I am undecided. Hmm...

Pan Michał

Elder
Reaction score
Achronos said:
I need some books that when reading them put you instantly to sleep.
My good friend, may I recommend you "The Latin Syntax" by prof. Samolewicz...

Pan Michał

Elder
Reaction score
In the middle column of command icons, second from left is a picture of a... picture ;) . Click on it, then you'll get this thing: (img) (/img), although in square brackets. Simply paste the link to the picture in space between middle square brackets (img)here(/img).

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:

Zizek ripped off 28% of what he writes and says from me. Of his popular material 71%.

He and Eminem took my identity and split it in half and did a lot more with the half they had than I did with the whole I had. Like a lot, lot more.

Since you are starting to read him, you have no reason to keep talking to me.

So long and enjoy my company.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just went to Barnes and Noble to check that book James Rottnek posted and read the introduction by Boris. Wow that was incredible. I was going to buy it but B&N wants 20 bucks for it when I can get it for 13 on amazon, bleh.

And I'm scared to death to read Proust at the moment.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Zizek ripped off 28% of what he writes and says from me. Of his popular material 71%.

He and Eminem took my identity and split it in half and did a lot more with the half they had than I did with the whole I had. Like a lot, lot more.

Ah I thought you had some Slim Shady resemblances.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
orthonorm said:

Ah I thought you had some Slim Shady resemblances.
It's worser than you know.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Achronos said:
I just went to Barnes and Noble to check that book James Rottnek posted and read the introduction by Boris. Wow that was incredible. I was going to buy it but B&N wants 20 bucks for it when I can get it for 13 on amazon, bleh.

And I'm scared to death to read Proust at the moment.
Let me add that I think it is very unsettling that Boris brings up the Divine Comedy when I wanted to organize an OC.net reading.