• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What is everyone reading?

Alxandra

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score

Very lovely book. It has so many beautiful reminders of traditional family life. The chapter about nurturing siblings to have close relationships and serve each other is an important point :)

Alxandra

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Unseen Warfare by Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain and revised by Theophan the Recluse :)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Alxandra said:
Unseen Warfare by Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain and revised by Theophan the Recluse :)
Has anyone here read ^this version and the original RC book by Scupoli?  If so, are there any significant differences?  I have the latter, but not the former.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Alxandra said:
Has anyone here read ^this version and the original RC book by Scupoli?  If so, are there any significant differences?  I have the latter, but not the former.
I haven't read the Scupoli version, but from the introduction to Theophan's edition he did some major revisions (a lot more than Nicodemus did). And some of it seems fairly obvious- the chapter about the Jesus prayer, for instance.

Reaction score
How to live a Holy Life by Met. Gregory Postnikov of St. Petersburg.

Easy to read, very hard to live by. I have to start somewhere other than the cycle of Confessing and Communining. Very good tips in this book for how to be Holy for every part of the day, The couple pages on Illness was a tad bit depressing, it was saying that we should pray for a illness to get worse if we continue to sin, like what wrong with praying for it to go away?

Sam G

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The Northern Thebaid from St. Herman's Press.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
By myself, Magic & Mistletoe, a festive paranormal anthology.

With the young one, The Winter Freak Show, by Daniel Parsons, the best Victorian Santa twist I've read so far.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The closed captioning ... CC closed captions for T.V.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Yesterday finished reading A Christmas Carol / Charles Dickens.  I have seen adaptions on T. V. now & then but have never read the book.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
The Book of Psalms translated by Robert Alter. I'm enjoying this translation and the commentary is very interesting although I'm not a scholar.

For daily use I've been reading the NET translation of the Bible: https://lumina.bible.org/bible/Romans+1

I think there's about 60k notes in that translation. I posted the link if someone finds it useful/helpful, I think its a very readable translation. It's sort of in the middle of dynamic and formal equivalence, but the notes themselves are more formal.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
How to Make White People Laugh, by Negin (that's "Neh-Geen") Farsad, who--like most Iranians--enriches uranium in her spare time.

A Celtic Christology: The Incarnation according to John Scottus Eriugena, by John F. Gavin, S.J., with a foreward by John Panteleimon Manoussakis.

Reaction score
Sam G said:
What your opinion, I been thinking about getting it, yet it one of the more expensive books of Seraphim Rose.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
seekeroftruth777 said:
Sam G said:
What your opinion, I been thinking about getting it, yet it one of the more expensive books of Seraphim Rose.
Vita Patrum, when you can find it, is more expensive.  Northern Thebaid is worth getting.

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Anyone have this?  If so, would you recommend?
What exactly is this? The only description I could find was on the Jordanville website, which wasn't very helpful. Is it just what it says on the tin- the Gospel, Apostol, Psalms, and Prophets between two covers? Or is it some sort of scholarly overview of them and their use?

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Great book, I also like the one by Jim Goad

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
nothing said:
Agabus said:
Redneck Manifesto?

I'm reading this current one back-to-back with Hillbilly Elegy. While it's an OK memoir (reminded me of my hometown, LOL), I don't think it was nearly as praiseworthy as its proponents suggested.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
hecma925 said:
Anyone have this?  If so, would you recommend?
What exactly is this? The only description I could find was on the Jordanville website, which wasn't very helpful. Is it just what it says on the tin- the Gospel, Apostol, Psalms, and Prophets between two covers? Or is it some sort of scholarly overview of them and their use?
That's what I'm wondering.  Guess I'll just email their bookstore and find out.  I figured someone on the forum might have it.

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
It's not Orthodox, but I am reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

I read it one time in Grade school, enjoyed it thoroughly, and have been meaning to re-read it for some time. Good stuff.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Agabus said:
nothing said:
Agabus said:
Redneck Manifesto?

I'm reading this current one back-to-back with Hillbilly Elegy. While it's an OK memoir (reminded me of my hometown, LOL), I don't think it was nearly as praiseworthy as its proponents suggested.
Yeah that's the one, it's hilarious. Deer Hunting with Jesus is another great book too you should check out. I wish I could force coastal snobby liberal elites to read it and [...] with the shaming.

Vulgarisms are not permitted in the public fora.
Dominika, section moderator

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I like the content but the translation itself is terribly wooden IMO. It serves in my mind as a prime example of how neo-Elizabethan prose is not necessarily more musical or poetic than contemporary English.