What is everyone reading?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Finished the book on C.S. Lewis. I had read the Chronicles of Narnia and a few of his other books, but I must admit that I had a bit of an idealized notion of the man. It was insightful reading not just about his good points, but also his faults. Especially interesting was the way that Tolkien and others sometimes spoke of/to him. Anyway, got some new books from B&N:

A Brief History of the Paradox: Philosophy and the Labyrinths of the Mind, by Roy Sorensen
Whose Bible Is It? A Short History of the Scriptures, by Jaroslav Pelikan
The Problems of Philosophy, by Bertrand Russell

DavidH

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.LandscapeDallas.com
Bizzlebin said:
I just re-read "The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis. Great peice.
Me too- VERY thought-provoking.
On another note- can't wait for someone to put the Silmarillion on the Big Screen.....it should cure insomnia as we know it!

Thomas

Archon
Reaction score
Just finished the entire series of the Chronicles of Narnia and now paraphrasing the stories for my young grandchildren ages 4 to 7. My ten year old grandson and I are reading the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe aloud and discussingthe theological basis of the book.  He is really doing well at it.  I am looking for a good spiritual study  and meditation for Great Lent---any suggestions.

In Christ,
Thomas

Bizzlebin

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
DavidH said:
Me too- VERY thought-provoking.
Indeed. It's very Orthodox as well. There are some disagreements I have with it, but I wonder how many of those are due to his actual theology as opposed to the inherent limitations of the metaphor.

Marat

Elder
Reaction score
Juggler said:
The Orthodox Way
I just bought that yesterday to read after my priest recommended it. I've heard so many great things about it.

TomS

Archon
Reaction score
Listening to:

http://www.live365.com/stations/tobit

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Bizzlebin said:
Indeed. It's very Orthodox as well. There are some disagreements I have with it, but I wonder how many of those are due to his actual theology as opposed to the inherent limitations of the metaphor.
If you have time or inclination, would you please explain your thoughts here a bit?

Ebor

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Recently read "The Sword of the Prophet" by Serge Trifkovic

Next I'm probably going to read "The Crusades Through Arab eyes" by Amin Maalouf.

Sort of picking my way through "Dock in the Dock" C.S. Lewis.

Re-read the Chronicles of Narnia after seeing "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"

Just finished "Till We Have Faces" - by Lewis. What a wonderful book!

"The Inner Kingdom" by Bishop Ware - another wonderful book!

Read a couple of Roman mystery novels and some Jane Austen in between. I like diversification :)

Have a huge and rather daunting pile of reading for Lent. :eek:

Bizzlebin

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Ebor said:
If you have time or inclination, would you please explain your thoughts here a bit?
Sure. Some of the major things were the destruction of people, the fact that only some people in Heaven were "close enough" to help others, and there was one more, the biggest I think, but I can't recall what it was. Anyways, for the first, I am referring especially to the main with the mime on a chain, where he completely "poofs." I understand the point of the sin completely taking over, but it seems to be teaching that the sin "replaces" the person, whereas what actually happens is that the person is just controlled by the sin, but never gone. Also, the fact that only the "lower" citizens of Heaven were allowed/able to help newcomers, and that the holier ones couldn't even see them, was wrong; it is very backwards. Jesus Himself came to help that very type of people, and as we see in Orthodoxy, the more saintly peopel are in fact the ones that make most of an impact. (Again, sorry I can't remmeber the other problem.) But as I mentioned before, I am not sure if these are due to his actual theology of Heaven/Hell, or simply the limitations of the analogy he used.

TomS

Archon
Reaction score
I am reading this book now:

The Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195141830/103-7720416-3448648?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

It is very interesting.

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stonewall in the Valley: Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's Shenandoah Valley Campaign, Spring 1862

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811720640/sr=8-1/qid=1141088829/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-0037260-7689425?%5Fencoding=UTF8

sparrowshell

Reaction score
I'm now reading "Consoler of Suffering Hearts - The Life, Counsels and Miracles of Eldress Rachel, Visionary of Russia" by Archpriest Sergei Levedev. I haven't been able to put this book down since I received it in the mail. It is a beautiful witness of a beautiful Christian - one whom we can emulate. Eldress Rachel's absolute faith in God has really encouraged me and touched my heart. Has anyone else ever read this book?

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Bizzlebin said:
I am not sure if these are due to his actual theology of Heaven/Hell, or simply the limitations of the analogy he used.
Thank you for explaining. I think that it was due to the limits of the analogy.

Ebor

Krysostomos

Reaction score
Reading just now HH Dalai Lama & Howard Cutler: The Art of Happines. A handbook for living.
I find Dalai a very exaiting personality. Once he said beeing a marxist as much as a buddist.
His Holiness is visiting next summer even the little country of Finland...

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Bone Wars: The Excavation and Celebrity of Andrew Carnegie's Dinosaur, by Tom Rea
Lost Christianities: The Battle for Scripture and Faiths We Never Knew, by Bart D. Ehrman

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
"Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad for my class.
Just finished "Pretender" by Cherryh, the lastest in her "Foriegner" series (It's SF)

Ebor

Reaction score
To Believe or Not to Believe: Readings in the Philosophy of Religion, E.D. Klemke
The Suffering Servant: Isaiah 53 in Christian and Jewish Sources, ed. B. Junowski, P. Stuhl Macher
Greek in a Nutshell: An Outline of Greek Grammar with Brief Reading Lessons, J. Strong
Australian Federal Constitutional Law: Commentary and Materials, G. Winterton, inter alia.