What is everyone reading?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Eruvande said:
I've been given a copy of the Shack, with the comment that it's an amazing book and i will love it. I haven't started reading it yet, just dipping in and out but the prose looks utterly turgid. Is there something of worth in it, because i am not really inclined to wade through the writing if not.
It is not worth it.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
William M Shirer: Rise and Fall of the Third Reich

A sentimental favorite.  I probably read this whole thing two or three times over the years at my grandparents house, so I ordered a copy for five bucks on Amazon.  This still might be the WW2 I enjoy reading most.  It's probably the one most responsible and formative for the I generally think of that war...that and the History Channel documentary I saw about how Hitler was using alien tech from Mars and occult magic.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
William T said:
the History Channel documentary I saw about how Hitler was using alien tech from Mars and occult magic.
There's no evidence that Hitler was using occult magic.
I know there is a stronger case he was using Martian tech, but I still say he was more influenced by the Occult.  After all there is no evidence he wasn't using occult magic.  And I think if you know how to read the true signs of Real History correctly; Hitler left a lot of clues he was all about magic and not just Martian technology.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The first seven ecumenical councils (325 - 787) : their history and theology / Leo Donald Davis.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
As part of research for the novel I'm currently writing...

A novel set during the Japanese rout in the Philippines in WWII (the author himself was a veteran who survived it). It was also made into an infamously grim film in 1959 by Kon Ichikawa.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Has anyone read The Field: Cultivating Salvation by St. Ignatius Brianchaninov, and if so how was it, and how does it compare (topic/content-wise) to other books like Journey to Heaven by St. Tikhon or The Path to Salvation by St. Theophan?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I very briefly flipped through the Field at St Tikhon's bookstore a few weeks ago. Content-wise it looked like Path of Salvation but I can't get more specific than that.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Silence / Shusaku Endo.  I originally did not plan to read this, but an acquaintance gave me a copy.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
I very briefly flipped through the Field at St Tikhon's bookstore a few weeks ago. Content-wise it looked like Path of Salvation but I can't get more specific than that.
Thanks for that bit, anyway; I'll probably get it eventually and find out I suppose.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Bulgakov, S. (2002). The Bride of the Lamb. (B. Jakim, Trans.). Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
Bulgakov, S. (2002). The Bride of the Lamb. (B. Jakim, Trans.). Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.

Did you read the first two volumes in the trilogy? I ask because I just finished The Lamb of God and kind of feel like jumping to this one.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Iconodule said:
Jetavan said:

Did you read the first two volumes in the trilogy? I ask because I just finished The Lamb of God and kind of feel like jumping to this one.
Not yet. Unfading Light is the next Bulgakov on my list.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Hudson, Anastasios -  Metropolitan Petros of Astoria: A Microcosm of Old Calendarist Movement in America

Based on the first chapter I'm going to need a mindmap in order to understand the alphabet soup of Greek names, abbreviations and schism of schism of schisms that Old Calendarists are. Kudos for our Webdespota for lack of apologetics or attempts of making it anyhow less crazy than it seems to have been.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Helmet for My Pillow, a beautifully written WWII memoir, by Robert Leckie

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Just finished reading Silence of the Lambs.  I haven't seen the movie in years, but if I remember right, it follows the book pretty well - more like cuts than changing anything.  The book developed Buffalo Bill a bit better, I think.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Modern Linux Administration, by Sam R. Alapati. It's a preview, but a pretty great book even so.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tabletop gaming materials. There's a good chance of me GMing a new campaign over summer break.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Tabletop gaming materials. There's a good chance of me GMing a new campaign over summer break.
Which game(s)?

I haven't GM'ed anything in years. I heard though there's a Glorantha sourcebook coming out for 13th Age, which is seriously tempting to me. 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Arachne said:
Which game(s)?

I haven't GM'ed anything in years. I heard though there's a Glorantha sourcebook coming out for 13th Age, which is seriously tempting to me.
D&D Dragonlance. I have a couple of rank beginners that I plan to transition to Ars Magica soon after.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Just got the new Beren and Luthien by Tolkien. It's going to be beautiful.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Just finished The Wind in the Willows with the kids.

I'd love to say I'm actually reading something for me, but I'm not.  I have about a dozen books started and none finished.  8)

ETA: Actually, my daughter just lent me a Nancy Drew book because she had been reading it to us earlier today, so maybe I can manage to finish that one.  :D 

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Hersey, M. D. (2011). My Work Is That of Conservation: An Environmental Biography of George Washington Carver. Athens, Georgia: The University of Georgia Press.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Forgot to say I'm enjoying the NLT, CEV, GNT used bibles I got recently. These unusual translations make me think about these texts in a different way.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
nothing said:
Forgot to say I'm enjoying the NLT, CEV, GNT used bibles I got recently. These unusual translations make me think about these texts in a different way.
How is the CEV? I've only flipped through the preview pages available online.

BTW, if you like the GNT, get a copy of the "God's Word" translation. I recently rescued one from someone's junk pile that would have gone to the curb and have enjoyed reading its renderings of the OT historical passages.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Agabus said:
nothing said:
How is the CEV? I've only flipped through the preview pages available online.

BTW, if you like the GNT, get a copy of the "God's Word" translation. I recently rescued one from someone's junk pile that would have gone to the curb and have enjoyed reading its renderings of the OT historical passages.
I'm looking at the God's Word translation on BibleGateway right now. I always start off with my favorite book in the Bible, Ecclesiastes, and so far it's very enjoyable. I'll see if I can get a cheap used copy somewhere, thanks for the recommendation.

As to the CEV, I like its simplicity, its something you would read to children. I prefer simple texts for daily reading.