What is everyone reading?

michaelus

Reaction score
Right now I am reading a book series called "A Certain Magical Index" which I got from Library Genesis.
There are 50 books and right now I am on book 2.
Needless to say, the books are not very good.

Rohzek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Currently reading Memory in Augustine's Theological Anthropology by Paige E. Hochschild. The writing style is wooden and boring, and so I hope to finish it as quickly as possible.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes (Complete Collection)

Got it for the Kindle, and I just noticed it says "Doyles" on the front cover. Not a great way to start...

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes (Complete Collection)

Got it for the Kindle, and I just noticed it says "Doyles" on the front cover. Not a great way to start...
There are several editions available (or at least there were when I got my copy). It can take a bit of effort to decide which one to go for.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Vladimir Putin and Russian Statecraft / Allen C. Lunch

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Trent, J. D. (2013). Saffron Cross: The Unlikely Story of How a Christian Minister Married a Hindu Monk. Nashville, Tennessee: Fresh Air Books.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Instruction manuals on how to build a retaining wall.
Good luck!

Welsh Fairy Tales by William Elliot Griffis (my oldest chose it as our next read aloud).  I'm not sure what to think of it, honestly.  :laugh:

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Herod the Great did it 2,000 years ago.  You can do it.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I gather Herod's wall was a little bigger?  -- Maybe.  May the Lord be with your project.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Luke said:
scamandrius said:
I think Herod hired contractors. I dont have that kind of cash flow.
I've heard that Mexico will pay for walls if you're a good negotiator, just something to think about :)

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
scamandrius said:
Luke said:
scamandrius said:
I think Herod hired contractors. I dont have that kind of cash flow.
I've heard that Mexico will pay for walls if you're a good negotiator, just something to think about :)
This is a common misconception. In point of fact, you have to be the best negotiator.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty

How much of the evilness of Ty Cobb is a myth and based mostly off the opportunistic  journalist Al Stump mixed with some old tall tales?  The thesis of this book is: a lot.  I hope the thesis is more true than not, I always appreciated Ty Cobb as a player.

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
A page or two a day of someone I read in college and never suspected how very close to home I was.  Now find out she was writing about my family, not specifically named characters, but in shared tribal experience.  At least one of my cousins tied our families together, the Gourneaus to the Pelletier / Peltier. 

So starting her trilogy

The Plague of Doves

Will continue with The Roundhouse and then LaRose.  I started there then backed up to start at the beginning.  LaRose is the story of when a neighbor accidentally shoots the neighbor (also family) boy.  This is how my great uncle died Ernest died as a boy of 10, accidental shooting by a neighbor. 

After I read everything I might write her to ask about the actual history of it and from where she drew the story. 

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
McPhee, J. (1967). Oranges. New York, New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

Because of a combination of new artistic techniques and some apparently reasonable, but mistaken, assumptions about the history of citrus, oranges appeared frequently in paintings by any number of the great masters of the Italian Renaissance. In making the break from Byzantine scholasticism to the new humanism of the Renaissance, artists began setting their religious figures against naturalistic backgrounds. Not having seen the Holy Land, they glibly set their Annunciations and Resurrections in Italian villas and on Italian hills. Crusaders, among others, had long since reported that orange trees flourished in Palestine, so, as a kind of hallmark of authenticity, the painters slipped orange trees into masterpiece after masterpiece, remaining ignorant to their deaths that in the time of Christ there were no orange trees in or near the Holy Land. (McPhee, 78-79)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Velsigne said:
A page or two a day of someone I read in college and never suspected how very close to home I was.  Now find out she was writing about my family, not specifically named characters, but in shared tribal experience.  At least one of my cousins tied our families together, the Gourneaus to the Pelletier / Peltier.
Louise Erdrich is awesome, even for us that don't share tribal ties. So is Sherman Alexie.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Caught between introducing my son to The Wombles and finishing off anything half-read I have lying around, because The Asylum... is coming up and will be commanding my undivided attention.

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
A Swedish biography of William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army (Fanny Ekenstierna, William Booth, Frälsningsarméns skapare - en livsbild) that I picked off a table where people can exchange books for a friend who likes biographies but, as it turned out, doesn't read Swedish. It offers a glimpse into Victorian attitudes to religion and is interesting not least because most of the societal problems Booth was dealing with at the end of the 19th century are still with us today.

youssef

Elder
Reaction score
Seeing Islam As Others Saw It: A Survey and Evaluation of Christian, Jewish and Zoroastrian Writings on Early Islam
Robert G Hoyland

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I am finally getting a chance to read some Ancient Greek comedy:  Frogs and other plays / Aristophanes ; translated with an introduction and notes by Stephen Halliwell.  Are other Ancient Greek comedy writers as vulgar as Aristophanes was?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Luke said:
I am finally getting a chance to read some Ancient Greek comedy:  Frogs and other plays / Aristophanes ; translated with an introduction and notes by Stephen Halliwell.  Are other Ancient Greek comedy writers as vulgar as Aristophanes was?
Very little comedy has survived, but satire did become a lot tamer over time, as government became more conservative.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Luke said:
You might want to take a look at multiple translations. It's becoming fashionable for translators to put a very personal stamp on Greek plays. I'm not saying anything to condemn Halliwell. But someone like Lattimore has a better reputation for stolid accuracy.

The comedies could definitely be vulgar.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Indeed.  I thought Clouds was tolerable because the plot was funny. Women at the Thesmophoria had too much for me.  Frogs was not too bad, but I had trouble seeing as much humor in it as others would.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

It's here, it's visually gorgeous, and it's absolutely loaded with puzzles that unlock hidden goodies. This is not going to be a quick or easy read, but I love it already.