juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
Submission - Michel Houellebecq
Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Diego

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
AGABUS, I do not know if you finished the Tarzan book. I am reading ERB as well. The 12 Barsoom books, featuring John Carter of Mars, et al.

Anthony1986

Elder
Reaction score
I am reading Father Arseny 1893-1973 Priest, Prisoner and Spiritual Father
This book is so moving. The stories were so wonderful.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Ancient Ethiopia: Aksum, Its Antecedents and Successors, by D.W. Phillipson

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire #2), by George R.R. Martin

I wasn't going to continue reading this series, but here I am. I didn't hate the first book, it just seemed too long and uneventful, and the prospect of reading 29,403 more pages of the same didn't really have much appeal. But, as I re-watched the last season of GoT to prep for the upcoming season, and watched the recent Alt Shift X vids, I found myself wanting to give the books another shot.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
White Line Fever by Lemmy

One of the funniest books I've read. Lots of inappropriate humour. Also I kind of admire him for being so blunt in his opinions and actions. That's the way it should br.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:

One of the funniest books I've read. Lots of inappropriate humour. Also I kind of admire him for being so blunt in his opinions and actions. That's the way it should br.
You're assuming it's not an act. "Honesty" has become a synonym for offense, and the way it's done is very trendy and predictable.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Alpo said:

You're assuming it's not an act. "Honesty" has become a synonym for offense, and the way it's done is very trendy and predictable.
Read the book. He's considerably well-mannered and one of the things he complains about people nowadays is lack of politeness.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Porter ODoran said:
Alpo said:

Read the book. He's considerably well-mannered and one of the things he complains about people nowadays is lack of politeness.
That certainly jives with his reputation in life.

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Finished Book I : The Plague of Doves which was kind of surreal and difficult to follow.  The plague of doves was a device and a foil.  An actual plague and the Catholics go out to drive them off with prayers and Holy Water.  The doves are symbolic of the white skinned invaders as well.

Probably one that I can re read for better comprehension.

It may be that my reading for pleasure muscles are atrophied.

Reading The Roundhouse now.  Another old story of life on the Rez, about a Native woman who is brutally raped and nearly killed, her son telling the story as he is coming of age.  Love these coming of age stories when a writer can remember the freshness and raw detail of first impressions in life.  Many stories within stories, rich with Ojibwe lore and custom, mention of the old ways, the meaning of things.

Really enjoying this one.  The characters live and breathe through the young boy.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, by James Joyce
Now on Dubliners by Joyce, and it's a much more enjoyable read...

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
7 kummaa veljestä by Sandra Hagman

There was sale in a local bookstore a while back. Yay, cheap books!

Basically telling 7 stories of queer people and society around them from 7 different decades in Finland. Interesting to hear how recent the concept of, say, homosexuality actually is. Makes the present discussion of same-sex even more ridiculous.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Anyone read Philip K. Dick's novels? Just noticed that some of the movies I like are based or inspired by his books.  If I wanted to read something from him where I should start?

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Porter ODoran said:
RaphaCam said:
I really need some fiction, I'll do a long trip and I don't like reading philosophy, religion or law without internet connection.
Fernando Pessoa?
Funny that you mention him, my father recently bought me his English Poems. Maybe I should finally read them instead of re-reading his Portuguese-language poetry for the thousandth time.

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I just finished Chest of Bone by Vicki Stiefel in a single day a couple weeks ago.

I'm slowly working on The World Beyond Your Head by Matthew Crawford.