What is everyone reading?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Camus!  8)
Any specific recommendations from him? I recently read The Fall but there was next to nothing about that kind of tex I am looking for.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much his works cultivate those things you mentioned, to be honest, I just like Camus  ;D  Besides The Myth of Sisyphus (non-fiction) I'd probably say The Stranger (fiction).

fleur-de-lys

Reaction score
Alpo said:
Asteriktos said:
Camus!  8)
Any specific recommendations from him? I recently read The Fall but there was next to nothing about that kind of text I am looking for.
If that's really what you want, then The Plague is for you. I did not enjoy it, because it has everything you mentioned.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Iconodule said:
Alpo said:
I've never been non-religious but for me an idea of being non-religious arouses some kind of feeling of anguish, emptiness and purposelessness. What should I read if I wanted to read something related to that kind of theme? Sarte? Camus? Hemingway?
HP Lovecraft
LOL. I like Lovecraft but I'm looking for something little different. Maybe something little more this wordly and little less mythic.
Another one I almost forgot about- Les Chants de Maldoror by Lautreamont. It's completely unique and mindbending.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Human Image: World Image: The Death and Resurrection of Sacred Cosmology, by Philip Sherrard

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
stavros_388 said:
Asteriktos said:
Human Image: World Image: The Death and Resurrection of Sacred Cosmology, by Philip Sherrard
I really, really want to read Sherrard!
Yeah, that's been on my radar for a while now (Iconodule has recommended it several times), looking forward to reading it.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
In the time of Aquinas and the centuries that followed such an attitude was not to be found.
Really? All of the books about the period that I have read have said to the contrary. Aquinas was translated into Greek and a number of Eastern theologians liked him but they were looked down on for it. Many of these same types that liked Aquinas joined the Latin Church soon after the Council of Florence.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Antonis said:
In the time of Aquinas and the centuries that followed such an attitude was not to be found.
Really? All of the books about the period that I have read have said to the contrary. Aquinas was translated into Greek and a number of Eastern theologians liked him but they were looked down on for it. Many of these same types that liked Aquinas joined the Latin Church soon after the Council of Florence.
St. Gennadius Scholarius, a firm opponent of the union and disciple of St. Mark Eugenikos, was one of the chief advocates for the usefulness of Aquinas.

Ioannis Climacus

High Elder
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Antonis said:
St. Gennadius Scholarius, a firm opponent of the union and disciple of St. Mark Eugenikos, was one of the chief advocates for the usefulness of Aquinas.
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't St. Gennadius pro-Union at the time of Florence? Do any of his pro-Aquinas sentiments come from writings after his "conversion" to anti-unionism?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ioannis Climacus said:
Iconodule said:
Antonis said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't St. Gennadius pro-Union at the time of Florence? Do any of his pro-Aquinas sentiments come from writings after his "conversion" to the anti-unionism?
He continued to translate and praise Aquinas well into his retirement. Here's a worthwhile article: http://eirenikon.wordpress.com/2008/05/25/a-latins-lamentation-over-gennadios-scholarios/

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I wonder whether there are any canonized Saints who have bought this Western Captivity and anti-Western hype?

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I want a recommended book list from Iconodule on Orthodoxy or anything in general. He's had some pretty nice recommendations recently that have grown my Christmas Wishlist.

Is Sherred Orthodox?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
I want a recommended book list from Iconodule on Orthodoxy or anything in general. He's had some pretty nice recommendations recently that have grown my Christmas Wishlist.

Is Sherred Orthodox?
Sherrard is Orthodox, yes. He was one of the three primary translators of the Philokalia into English. He also translated a lot of modern Greek poetry. He had ties to the "traditionalist" school of thought (represented by Guenon et al) but his conversion to Orthodoxy seems quite genuine.

One thing I noticed was that he seems to be believe that the act of creation was necessary to God, which seems to be contradictory to the general Patristic view. So (like anyone) he is not completely error-free.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Achronos said:

Is Sherred Orthodox?
Sherrard is Orthodox, yes. He was one of the three primary translators of the Philokalia into English. He also translated a lot of modern Greek poetry. He had ties to the "traditionalist" school of thought (represented by Guenon et al) but his conversion to Orthodoxy seems quite genuine.

One thing I noticed was that he seems to be believe that the act of creation was necessary to God, which seems to be contradictory to the general Patristic view. So (like anyone) he is not completely error-free.
Why wouldn't be necessary though? I mean isn't creation an act of love, and is God not love? So by that very love it was necessary for creation to happen?

Maybe that's his view, but I can sympathize with him.