What is everyone reading?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
RAVEN: The Untold Story of Jim Jones and His People
http://www.amazon.com/Raven-Untold-Story-Jones-People/dp/1585426784

A billiant and deeply disturbing portrait of politics, philosophical ideology, religion, psychology, and human nature. The author was a reporter that survived being shot as he and others tried to depart with Jonestown defectors. This is a very long book, but difficult to put down. It demonstrates the horrific ends that can result from the toxic mixture of politics and false religion.

Selam

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am dropping everything now and I'm going to read Don Quixote. After reading a brief synopsis on the narration style, I am simply blown away. I hope I was not spoiled with how

*SPOILER*
Cervantes creates himself in the story
*END SPOILER*

But man, this sounds like a work of genius that everything must wait until I read it. Trying to find the best translation cause you know, me no leer en espanol

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nevermind I think I'm going to settle with Edith Grossman's. Read the first chapter now and it's beautiful in its prose, much better than the Raffel translation by comparison.

I hate how there isn't really a definitive version of it, sure it's not possible, but I'm not a fan of reading multiple translations. Just give me the best one possible.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've read the prologue 3 times now. I love how Cervantes is self depricating himself and trying anything he can to not show as being pretentious. Also how he doesnt want to make a standard prologue but does so anyway. And the sonnet without the end syllable was hilarious. Ready to start chapter 1. I'm disappointed Grossman didn't use buckler but used "ancient shield" eh I guess it works lol.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to a Motel 6 tomorrow to be knighted. This first part is hilarious. The giants turned into windmills!

EDIT: btw those sonnets in the prologue are just gorgeously rendered. I liked to recite them outloud.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. I mean don't get me wrong this book is funny, but what just happened to the Don is really tragic. Knight of the Sorry Face, I mean that's funny but in light of what happened with the herdsmen, man...

I ended up buying the Rutherford translation now and picked up where I left off from the Grossman one. I just couldn't stand it when Sancho kept saying "your graces" over and over again. I don't even see that rendered in other translations. And her syntax is awful, just how she wrote the dialogue and she could benefit from using alot of commas.

Rutherford seems good so far, except some words are a little jarring. Like bachelor.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I think I was too harsh on Grossman. However I still prefer Rutherfords dialogue which is very fluid. Grossman tries to have beautiful prose but at the expense of her syntax.

I was hoping someone from OC.net would recommend a great translation but has nobody else read it? In an odd way it has strengthened my faith (even though I don't suffer from any doubts)

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
NightOwl said:
The Law of God by Serafim Slobodskoy.
Looks like an interesting book.  How do you like it?

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
The Gospels
St. Ignatius' Epistles
St. Polycarp's Epistle and Martyrdom
St. Paul's Epistles to the Romans
Fr. Shenouda Maher on the Original Sin
The Confessions of St. Augustine
The Divine Comedy

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
orthonorm said:
Severian said:
-Gospel of St John
-"Assassination Vacation"
-St Cyril of Alexandria's "On the Unity of Christ"
-Will be starting "Unseen Warfare"
High School Sweethearts a little daunting at the moment?
"Assassination Vacation" isn't too bad, fwiw.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Severian said:
The Gospels
St. Ignatius' Epistles
St. Polycarp's Epistle and Martyrdom
St. Paul's Epistles to the Romans
Fr. Shenouda Maher on the Original Sin
The Confessions of St. Augustine
The Divine Comedy
I like them. I only don't know Fr. Shenouda's work.