• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What is everyone reading?

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
What I've been reading over the past week

John 1, 2, 3
1st Corinthians
a little bit from St. John Cassian's Conferences.
His Life is Mine by Elder Sophrony
Beginning to Pray by Anthony Bloom

My priest suggested I read something from St. Theophan the Recluse, but I'm allergic to anything Fr. Seraphim Rose has his name attached to. I shelved the Art of Prayer book but might go back to it.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Speaking of Fr. Seraphim Rose, anyone liked reading Christ The Eternal Tao? I don't care for how accurate it may or not be to Lao Tzu. I enjoy Christian writers/theologians who appropriate from other philosophies/religions/myths/etc. in understanding them in the light of Christ. The Church Fathers did it with Plato, Aristotle and other Greek philosophers. There can be some really interesting interpretations.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I've only skimmed through it at a bookstore, I liked what I saw. I saw a talk Fr. Damascene gave some years back, about his time in China hanging out with Daoist and Buddhist monks. The Buddhist monks weren't very friendly. The best thing they could say to him was, "Well you don't eat meat, so at least you're not going to hell like the other westerners". He seemed to have more common ground with the Daoists who are at least theistic.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
I've only skimmed through it at a bookstore, I liked what I saw. I saw a talk Fr. Damascene gave some years back, about his time in China hanging out with Daoist and Buddhist monks. The Buddhist monks weren't very friendly. The best thing they could say to him was, "Well you don't eat meat, so at least you're not going to hell like the other westerners". He seemed to have more common ground with the Daoists who are at least theistic.
So, another lie from Westerners is that Daoism is atheistic?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Henry Chadwick's History of the Early Church (up to the Great Schism)

Walter Isaacson's Leonardo Da Vinci biography

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the spirit of the days:

Well. Reading it to the young one, a chapter a night. Me, with NaNo going on, I have barely enough brain cells unoccupied to follow my fanfic bookmarks.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
The Monk; A Romance, by Matthew Lewis
Deification in Christ, by Panayiotis Nellas

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
RobS said:
Speaking of Fr. Seraphim Rose, anyone liked reading Christ The Eternal Tao? I don't care for how accurate it may or not be to Lao Tzu. I enjoy Christian writers/theologians who appropriate from other philosophies/religions/myths/etc. in understanding them in the light of Christ. The Church Fathers did it with Plato, Aristotle and other Greek philosophers. There can be some really interesting interpretations.
I love it! Some parts got me a bit confused, but I'd trust Hieromonk Damascene on Taoism better than my post-Tao Te Ching intuition.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Iconodule said:
So, another lie from Westerners is that Daoism is atheistic?
Pretty much.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
St. Isaac's Homilies aren't working out to well with my prayer rule, it's not easy. I'm going to replace it with St. Gregory Palamas' Homilies for the Nativity Fast.

Still reading St. Silouan. He's like the opposite extreme of St. Isaac, deceptively simple but difficult. There some stuff in it that I don't understand what Elder Sophrony is talking about.

My Nativity Fast reading:

New Testament
Psalter
Art of Prayer
St. Gregory Palamas' Homilies
Fr. Hopko's Winter Pascha (thanks Dominika!)
St. Silouan the Athonite
St. Ephraim's A Spiritual Psalter

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Porter I need your help please. Is Robert Alter's single volume of Genesis the same translation found in his Five Books of Moses?

Also, since you agree with me that Lattimore's NT and Alter's translations are excellent do you have any other recommendations?

Seriously Lattimore's is a treasure, it's like reading the Scriptures with fresh eyes. The Gospels are so much clearer if that makes sense.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
RobS said:
Seriously Lattimore's is a treasure, it's like reading the Scriptures with fresh eyes. The Gospels are so much clearer if that makes sense.
I used to have a copy of Lattomire's NT bundled with three other less mainstream translations. It fell apart (the pages literally separated from the spine; it was a really terrible binding job) and I didn't bother to look for it again since it had just come to me through circumstance in the first place. I'm kind of wishing I had now.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I find the Lattimore translation to be roughly just-ok. I guess +1 to the already long list of times I've been oblivious to good art  8)

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I find the Lattimore translation to be roughly just-ok. I guess +1 to the already long list of times I've been oblivious to good art  8)
It's more of my preference in daily reading the Gospels as long flowing narratives, instead of it broken up by chapter/verse. For serious study I'll get some other translations. But for daily use these paragraph style Bibles are excellent.

One of my favorite things about the Lattimore is how he lets the individual voices shine through.

Agabus said:
I used to have a copy of Lattomire's NT bundled with three other less mainstream translations. It fell apart (the pages literally separated from the spine; it was a really terrible binding job) and I didn't bother to look for it again since it had just come to me through circumstance in the first place. I'm kind of wishing I had now.
Are you talking about the paperback one with the black cover? Yeah the binding is garbage lol.

What were the other 3 less mainstream translations?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
RobS said:
Porter I need your help please. Is Robert Alter's single volume of Genesis the same translation found in his Five Books of Moses?
Yes, naturally it's the same, as his The David Story is the same translation of the books of the Kings as in Ancient Israel: the Former Propehts. The different editions available is just an artifact of the publishing process: at times, as his work became ready, the publisher would release single volumes, but then later release the larger, more comprehensive volumes as originally planned. You'll also find some different covers and bindings available for some books.

Also, since you agree with me that Lattimore's NT and Alter's translations are excellent do you have any other recommendations?

I mentioned E.V. Rieu's Gospels, better than Lattimore if that were possible. However, he's been out of print for years. As the work has passed into the public domain in the U.S., I'm thinking of typing up a digital, free version and I can then link it here with administrative permission.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Yes, naturally it's the same, as his The David Story is the same translation of the books of the Kings as in Ancient Israel: the Former Propehts. The different editions available is just an artifact of the publishing process: at times, as his work became ready, the publisher would release single volumes, but then later release the larger, more comprehensive volumes as originally planned. You'll also find some different covers and bindings available for some books.
Great, thank you.

I mentioned E.V. Rieu's Gospels, better than Lattimore if that were possible. However, he's been out of print for years. As the work has passed into the public domain in the U.S., I'm thinking of typing up a digital, free version and I can then link it here with administrative permission.
I'd be glad to compensate you via PayPal for the time it would take to type it up. Let me know.

Appreciate you responding.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
RobS said:
What were the other 3 less mainstream translations?
I misspoke earlier. I did have the Lattimore translation (I remembered it because at the time I got it I lived on Lattimore Plantation Drive), but the specific four-translation volume I was thinking of had the KJV, the NASB, William Beck's NT and Charles Williams' NT. Beck's translation eventually morphed into the "God's Word" Bible.

So now is the question of where the missing Lattimore Bible is. There are only so many places 140 miles apart that it could be.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Iconodule, I found the entire Christ the Eternal Tao online:

https://azbyka.ru/otechnik/world/christ-the-eternal-tao/

Includes all the pictures from the book. The pictures of Christ's life used, for example here: https://azbyka.ru/otechnik/world/christ-the-eternal-tao/3_84 , can I call that iconography? I love them. Any other Chinese iconography in color like this?

Fascinating bit on "nothingness", but I don't have the time to read this book fully yet.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
RobS said:
Iconodule, I found the entire Christ the Eternal Tao online:
Whoever edited and formatted this thing needs to get sacked and never work again, unless they actually learn how to do it. Properly done (i.e. without each endnote on a separate page and a duplicate index), the file would have been about half as long.

Ray1

Elder
Reaction score
Why We Believe in God(s). A Concise Guide To The Science oF Faith by J. Anderson Thomson with Claire Aukofer, foreword by Richard Dawkins.

It is a short book but very good, it showed me why I still have the urge to believe in a God or Gods, regardless of all the intellectual reasons to not believe in the first place.

mcarmichael

#realmorephrem
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Ray1 said:
Why We Believe in God(s). A Concise Guide To The Science oF Faith by J. Anderson Thomson with Claire Aukofer, foreword by Richard Dawkins.

It is a short book but very good, it showed me why I still have the urge to believe in a God or Gods, regardless of all the intellectual reasons to not believe in the first place.
:snore:

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Finished volume two of the three-volume set:  Jeremiah : a new translation with introduction and commentary / Jack R. Lundbom.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Goodman, M. (2015). Maimonides and the Book That Changed Judaism: Secrets of The Guide for the Perplexed. (R.Y. Sinclair, Trans.). Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: The Jewish Publication Society.

"The prophet is a blend of saint, artist, and philosopher."

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Ray1 said:

Well then that's good.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Luke said:
Finished volume two of the three-volume set:  Jeremiah : a new translation with introduction and commentary / Jack R. Lundbom.
Sounds very interesting. Three volumes? So what's your reaction so far?

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Porter, have you picked up DBH's new translation of the NT? I didn't like it at first but I'm slowly warming to it.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
RobS said:
Porter, have you picked up DBH's new translation of the NT? I didn't like it at first but I'm slowly warming to it.
Since I consider the man a hack and unstable, no.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
RobS said:
Since I consider the man a hack and unstable, no.
I have similar suspicions but why do you consider him a hack?

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Luke said:
The author says that anyone undertaking a commentary on Jeremiah has a huge job ahead, and I believe him.  St. Jerome only made it to chapter 32 before he passed on.  Jeremiah is a big book, and there are a lot of questions about how it was put together and of course why the Masoretic text differs from the Septuagint.  It is interesting as to how Jeremiah is put together, and the author points out places that use Chiasmus.  When there are differences between the Masoretic text and Septuagint, the author usually prefers the longer readings.  The shorter readings are usually (but not always) in the Septuagint.  The author attributes most of them to haplography.  Maybe that was the case, but it leaves me wondering if there are other factors involved.  If you want to read more ideas about the differences between the Masoretic texts and Septuagint, I would read McKane or Holladay.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
The Field: Cultivating Salvation, by St. Ignatius Brianchaninov
At the Sign of the Cat & Racket, by Honore de Balzac

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Christ the conqueror of hell : the descent into Hades from an Orthodox perspective / Archbishop Hilarion Alfeyev.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Justin, what are some good texts to start reading Berdayev?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Luke said:
Porter ODoran said:
Luke said:
The author says that anyone undertaking a commentary on Jeremiah has a huge job ahead, and I believe him.  St. Jerome only made it to chapter 32 before he passed on.  Jeremiah is a big book, and there are a lot of questions about how it was put together and of course why the Masoretic text differs from the Septuagint.  It is interesting as to how Jeremiah is put together, and the author points out places that use Chiasmus.  When there are differences between the Masoretic text and Septuagint, the author usually prefers the longer readings.  The shorter readings are usually (but not always) in the Septuagint.  The author attributes most of them to haplography.  Maybe that was the case, but it leaves me wondering if there are other factors involved.  If you want to read more ideas about the differences between the Masoretic texts and Septuagint, I would read McKane or Holladay.
Fascinating. Thank you.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
RobS said:
Justin, what are some good texts to start reading Berdayev?
I'm afraid I haven't read nearly enough of him to answer that. There're a couple good sites that provide excerpts, quotes, articles and bibliographies though (such as here and here), and I'd think those would be better at giving some indication of where to start with him, based on what you're looking for. Perhaps there is a 'must read' or 'start here' text with him, but if there is I haven't yet read it or heard it described as such.