• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What is everyone reading?

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A textual history of the King James Bible / David Norton.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Three Blind Mice, by Agatha Christie

I must have read this in school, and many other stories like it, but I remember almost none of them  :-X

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy, revised and expanded.

I am on page 119 at the start of the reformed churches. I learned a few things that I did not know about Roman Catholics. I got depressed between pages 99-118, so I am taking a break.

I am still trying to figure out what the underlined superscripted (o or 0) means in heterodoxy.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
The Disaster Artist
The Dictator Pope

Should be a fun weekend  :p

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Witnessing the Kingdom: Studies in New Testament History and Theology, by Fr. John McGuckin

(tip of the hat to Mor Ephrem for bringing this 3 volume collection to my attention)

Stepan

Reaction score
Just finished reading Fr. Andrew Damick's "Introduction to God". The conversational style reminds me a bit of C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. Reading it with my family now.

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Agatha Christie's first "Poirot".

I generally avoid female authors, however I read one of her later "Poirot's", and it was generally highly satisfactory. I probably won't read her Miss Marples series.

Well.... and I've yet to get into it. It isn't immediately entertaining. Somehow she managed to sell it, however, so I will continue to plod onwards!

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Before that, I read "The Apology of Socrates", by Plato.

I had some thoughts about that, also.
Did Socrates serve God? If so, could Socrates be saved? If so, how was Socrates saved?
These are all very confusing thoughts for a very Old Protestant (I'll be 42 come August 28, 2018.)

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Rich Dad, Poor Dad, by Rober Kiyosaki. The book feels a bit stupid, but I felt I had to read it.

mcarmichael said:

Did Socrates serve God? If so, could Socrates be saved? If so, how was Socrates saved?
These are all very confusing thoughts for a very Old Protestant (I'll be 42 come August 28, 2018.)
Amazing book. I believe Socrates was a very holy man, even though he was far from God's main revelation in Israel. I believe there's a saint who said Plato was the first Pagan to convert in the descent of Christ to Hades.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Do Not Judge: Understanding the Vice of Passing Judgment by Hieromonk Gregorios- a very nice little booklet in his spiritual life series.
Burning Your Boats: The Collected Short Stories by Angela Carter- amazing, sparkling, and really, really dark. A great successor of Poe.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Do Not Judge: Understanding the Vice of Passing Judgment by Hieromonk Gregorios- a very nice little booklet in his spiritual life series.
He has excellent material!

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
mcarmichael said:

Amazing book. I believe Socrates was a very holy man, even though he was far from God's main revelation in Israel. I believe there's a saint who said Plato was the first Pagan to convert in the descent of Christ to Hades.
Some of the commentary suggested that Plato may have "brightened" his (Socrates') image, somewhat.
I suppose there are other ways Socrates might be saved, however, like the common saying today is that God can commune anyone whom He would like to, or by reference to the general resurrection.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
The Disaster Artist
This turned out to be a downer. It's one of those autobiographical books where the author spends time defending himself, and often comes off like a butthole because of (rather than in spite of) his defenses. More importantly, I have to agree with several reviewers that it seems like there are some serious mental illness or brain damage issues going on with Tommy Wiseau, making it (at the very least) in poor taste to mock his work or laugh at him.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Asteriktos said:
The Disaster Artist
This turned out to be a downer. It's one of those autobiographical books where the author spends time defending himself, and often comes off like a butthole because of (rather than in spite of) his defenses. More importantly, I have to agree with several reviewers that it seems like there are some serious mental illness or brain damage issues going on with Tommy Wiseau, making it (at the very least) in poor taste to mock his work or laugh at him.
Might partly explain why he's so reticent to admit he's from Poland. Maybe got a lot of Pollock jokes when he first immigrated as a lad.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Comic book The Arab of the Future (the 1st part) by Riad Sattouf.

Nicely drawn, interesting observations of a child born from French mother and Syrian father of Libia, France and Syria (well, manily its rural areas) of the late 70s and early 80s. At first glancve it seems quite scarrying. But ten I realised that at that time in Poland there was Martial Law in Poland, and Serbian villages were probaly not so far in look and mentality to the Serian ones.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Just finished Murder on the Orient Express / Agatha Christie.  I am only now discovering that it is fun reading her mysteries.  I also wanted to read how the original story went since the movie came out recently.

Ray1

Elder
Reaction score
I began reading this book and I would appreciate any feedback from those who have heard of/read the book or the author.

As an attempt for me to see another way to read the Bible, I began reading this book called How To Read The Bible and Still Be A Christian by John Dominic Crossan.

It is interesting so far, I don't agree with everything he said, but the things I agree with or at least neutral about have opened my eyes to new ways of reading the Creation story, the "Fall", Adam and Eve, and the Flood. He will discuss Jesus Christ and compare the nonviolent Jesus portrayed in the Gospels and the violent Jesus portrayed in the book of Revelation in later chapters that I didn't get to yet, but based on the introduction, he seems to believe that the Christ of the Gospels is the real Jesus, while the Jesus of Revelation is the creation of man and their desire for revenge.

W.A.Mozart

High Elder
Reaction score
@Arachne

I love Horrible histories and Bob Hale  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Here is a video I enjoyed  / Horrible Histories - The Catholic Report with Bob Hale

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ze965

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
"The Plantagenets," by Dan Jones, "Death in the Air" by Kate Dawson, and "The Lives of Saints" by Sebastian Dabovich.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
W.A.Mozart said:
@Arachne

I love Horrible histories and Bob Hale  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Here is a video I enjoyed  / Horrible Histories - The Catholic Report with Bob Hale

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ze965
I'm missing a few of the original books, but I have all the annuals (it's always a good year when there is one out), the complete run of the TV show + specials, and even the side projects the team worked on (Yonderland and Bill). I suspect I might be a wee bit addicted to that crew.

Bah, humbug, I regret nothing. ;D

(The stupid death skits were long my favourites, until the social media came along! Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrFpHAGCkm0)

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh [Selected by Ronald de Leeuw and translated by Arnold Pomerans] Penguin Classics edition

Amazing stuff. The man's pen was as deep as his paintbrush.

Selam

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Charles Dickens, "Dombey and Son". True story.

I read at least half of it already, but I lost the book and didn't like not finishing it. It's rather good English.

I've also read:
Dombey and Son
The Pickwick Papers
Little Dorrit
Oliver Twist (including the end)
Our Mutual Friend

I don't remember if I've read any others or not. Due to my advanced age, no doubt.