• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What is everyone reading?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Interesting article about the folly of churches constantly falling all over themselves to court Millennials.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
^That is an interesting article.  I am going to send it to some I know, so that we never get to the place of over selling.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Original subtitle- "In Which a Pot Remarks Upon the Ebon Hues to be Found on the Outside of a Kettle."

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Volnutt said:
Original subtitle- "In Which a Pot Remarks Upon the Ebon Hues to be Found on the Outside of a Kettle."
Oh yeah?
I agree more with him than I do Trump, but Olbermann can be just as a unhinged in his ranting.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's a little more in-depth than the Discovery Channel shows on the same topic?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I would guess so, but I've only seen bits and pieces of that show, so I'm basing that guess more on the reputation of cable 'learning' shows in general. Having said that, I'm not sure exactly how much I trust the author yet, as he says things at times that seem like an exaggeration. For example he speaks of an 'unmanaged' forest in Eastern Europe, basically the last of its kind he says, comparing it very unfavorably to the 'managed' forests throughout the rest of Europe, and he says that "all Europe once looked like this" unmanaged forest. Thing is, I've walked through 'unmanaged' forests all my life and none of them look at all like what he described with the super-amazing-unmanaged forest looking/being like. I don't doubt that there were many more forests like he describes, but I do question the claim that pretty much every forest on the entire continent was like this super-amazing one. It just smacks of 'things were better before HUMANS screwed everything up!!!" environmental romanticism; there's enough human destruction in the realm of fact, doesn't seem like exaggerations are necessary.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I would guess so, but I've only seen bits and pieces of that show, so I'm basing that guess more on the reputation of cable 'learning' shows in general. Having said that, I'm not sure exactly how much I trust the author yet, as he says things at times that seem like an exaggeration. For example he speaks of an 'unmanaged' forest in Eastern Europe, basically the last of its kind he says, comparing it very unfavorably to the 'managed' forests throughout the rest of Europe, and he says that "all Europe once looked like this" unmanaged forest. Thing is, I've walked through 'unmanaged' forests all my life and none of them look at all like what he described with the super-amazing-unmanaged forest looking/being like. I don't doubt that there were many more forests like he describes, but I do question the claim that pretty much every forest on the entire continent was like this super-amazing one. It just smacks of 'things were better before HUMANS screwed everything up!!!" environmental romanticism; there's enough human destruction in the realm of fact, doesn't seem like exaggerations are necessary.
Makes sense.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

This? This is the book almost everyone praises to the heavens? What am I missing?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

This? This is the book almost everyone praises to the heavens? What am I missing?
I dunno. I've got a copy but I still need to read it.

Rubricnigel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Desert-Fathers-Sayings-Christian-Classics/dp/0140447318

About 60.pages through.
Some very good teachings from early.monastics and i got it for like $1.50 free s/h on ebay.....

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Modern Greece : What Everyone Needs to Know / Stathis N. Kalyvas

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Started reading A. E. van Vogt's Voyage of the Space Beagle. Three chapters in and I can already see the ways in which it influenced Alien, but it's also got so much that's totally unique to it. I love the Coeurl as a character and as a creature design, too.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Over our time away, young one and I read plenty of Rogue One backstories.

By myself, I've started on some more M:tA fiction.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Why do the Whills need guardians? I thought they were supposed to be nigh-omnipotent.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Why do the Whills need guardians? I thought they were supposed to be nigh-omnipotent.
The Whills themselves might or might not need guardians, but their Disciples likely do.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Volnutt said:
The Whills themselves might or might not need guardians, but their Disciples likely do.
Ah.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the $85 Oxford University Press book The Human Condition in Hilary of Poitiers: The Will and Original Sin between Origen and Augustine, is being sold on the Target and Kmart websites... but I certainly don't disapprove ??? ;D

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism, by Abraham Joshua Heschel

Asteriktos said:
My wariness with this subsided. Also, a lot of it is about the environment and animals in general, not just in apocalypse-like scenarios, since 'the world without us' could just as easily be about situations in which humans never existed to begin with, or didn't spread across the world and massively increase in population.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ah, interesting. I might pick that up if only to help me craft alien ecosystems for fiction, then!

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I'm not sure why the $85 Oxford University Press book The Human Condition in Hilary of Poitiers: The Will and Original Sin between Origen and Augustine, is being sold on the Target and Kmart websites... but I certainly don't disapprove ??? ;D
Kmart could do an annoying popup: "Attention Kmart shoppers, there's a Blue Light Special in the Patristics Department!" ;D

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
A lot of things. Includes Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman, and The Once and Future King by T.S. Eliot.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
This new Tiger Woods biography. He's an even bigger jerk than I realized, and yet learning about his upbringing sheds a lot of light on why. Makes me feel sorry for him in many ways. Both of his parents were real pieces of work. But still, some of the ways Tiger treated other people are simply inexcusable. He's basically always been a narcissistic, self-absorbed, spoiled brat. A very interesting read.

Selam

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
I'm reading the book of Job again. I was pretty sure that I had read it twice, but it has a different ending that I remembered.

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
How baby bats develop their dialects

https://www.nature.com/news/how-baby-bats-develop-their-dialects-1.22926

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score

Mexico has not yet paid me for this, though it was only $3 at Ollie's so it's not a big deal.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Life of St. Columba by Adomnán. As it's the Penguin Classics edition, I'm currently slogging my way through Richard Sharpe's 70-page introduction where he casts doubt on the historicity of the work and relegates it mostly to Christian and cultural "myth". Still, I'm not well-versed on the state of Scotland or the Celtic church of the time, so I've decided not to skip it.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Currently a huge manual with everything a Regional Labour Court technician should know: Portuguese, court ethics, disabled rights, administrative and labour law. It's a nice read, I'll enjoy studying to become a technician even if I don't make it.

Saxon said:
Life of St. Columba by Adomnán. As it's the Penguin Classics edition, I'm currently slogging my way through Richard Sharpe's 70-page introduction where he casts doubt on the historicity of the work and relegates it mostly to Christian and cultural "myth". Still, I'm not well-versed on the state of Scotland or the Celtic church of the time, so I've decided not to skip it.
Some folks try to apply an irrationally exaggerated rigour to study times for which sources are scarce, therefore doubting the few sources left, specially when such sources are religious.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score

About 1/3 through right now. Really engrossing. One thing making this battle interesting is the number of firsthand accounts, both by Chinese and Japanese military personnel and the wide array of foreign civilian observers- German, British, American, Russian, etc.- because both sides made a point of leaving the foreign concessions alone.

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The windover bog bodies:

http://www.ancient-origins.net/history-ancient-traditions/windover-bog-bodies-among-greatest-archeological-discoveries-ever-021007

Anthony1986

Elder
Reaction score
Father Arseny: A Cloud of Witnesses
https://www.amazon.com/Father-Arseny-Witnesses-Vera-Bouteneff/dp/0881412325/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1525382555&sr=1-2&keywords=father+arseny