• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What is everyone reading?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
It sort of blends the two. It straight-forwardly gives historical facts, but it does so using two frameworks: chronologically as the book moves forward, and also by following the personal lives of various characters involved. It reminds me of the older approach to history, like what would have existed in Byzantium itself, where historians weren't obsessed with 'objectivity' and were just trying to 'tell the true story' or whatever.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Is this good? I count myself as something as a Byzantium hobbyist.
I've found it enjoyable, though I can't really judge the finer points of historical accuracy as it's been a long time since I read anything about this period. It's short and reads quickly though, so not a major time investment, if that matters.

bwallace23350

Reaction score
I've found it enjoyable, though I can't really judge the finer points of historical accuracy as it's been a long time since I read anything about this period. It's short and reads quickly though, so not a major time investment, if that matters.
Time investment is not a major issue for now. Come May when the new baby gets here maybe so. I added it to my Amazon wish list. Thanks for the book.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Just finished All is Well by Dr. Rossi.

Stinky

Reaction score
The Garden of the Holy Spirit, by Elder Iakovos of Evia. Translated by S.G. Papadopoulos

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
What should I read next?

bwallace23350

Reaction score
I am reading a book by J I Packer called Knowing God. It is ok. I am not sure why he was an Anglican though. He never quotes them and seems to be a full on Calvinist

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
rainforest.png

I mean... it's interesting and all... but I find the mistaken beliefs of the people involved much sadder than the disappearance of their language. The sporadic contact with (mostly) white people over the last century has left them completely out in left field about what the rest of the world is like and how they can obtain the same life for themselves.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
death rainforest.jpg

I decided to look up on google maps the village being discussed in this book, just to sort of get an idea of where on the island it was and how remote, and when I ended up on the wiki page I read this...

"In 2018, the village was burned down and abandoned due to violence among households. The former residents fled to the nearby villages of Wongan, Watam, and Boroi."

Well that's unfortunate. 🙁

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The Flaw (Το λάθος ) / Antonis Samarakis (Αντώνης Σαμαράκης;)

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Just finished Timaeus / Plato; translated by Benjamin Jowett. I lost track as to how the triangles can combine and divide, but it was an interesting read.

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Homer and Wikipedia.
Please donate to Wikipedia. Homer is dead, so it's too late to donate to he who was indesputably a he.

Last edited:

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
There isn't a lot of information, has anyone googled the earliest reference to Homer? I'm using Mom's Nook and some books are free.

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
The Trojan War never happened because Achilles and Ulysses and a majority of the characters of Homer are fictional, in Achilles case due to his ancestry as a demigod.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
The Trojan War never happened because Achilles and Ulysses and a majority of the characters of Homer are fictional, in Achilles case due to his ancestry as a demigod.
What I'm about to admit to is supremely silly, but it's the truth: I can't hear/see "Achilles" without the "Ohhhhh Achilllllleeeeesssss" in this song popping into my head...

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Homer and Wikipedia.
Please donate to Wikipedia. Homer is dead, so it's too late to donate to he who was indesputably a he.
I never donated money for a matter a principle, given I donate a lot of my time already. I ask people to donate, though.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
35296633._SY475_.jpg

Back in 2014 I read the condensed single-volume version of this biography, but now it's time to go whole hog and read the five-volume version.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Rereading Laurus by Eugene Vidolazkin. Even better the second time.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Just started Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future. Might take it slowly. 🙂