• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What is everyone reading?

->Arrow

Reaction score
This book by Timothy Ware (Metropolitan Kallistos of Diocletian) is a great read.

CC31954E-9FE1-46CD-8F44-069FC5E366B5.jpeg

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
2940013851351_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

I'm only like 25% in, but I feel sort of hoodwinked.

What I was told to expect: lots of boring farming stuff
What I have read so far: lots of boring attempts to rationalize/excuse adultery

mcarmichael

#realmorephrem
Post Moderated
Reaction score
I'm only like 25% in, but I feel sort of hoodwinked.

What I was told to expect: lots of boring farming stuff
What I have read so far: lots of boring attempts to rationalize/excuse adultery
That's Dr. Zhivago, or maybe Dostroevsky.

bwallace23350

Reaction score
I am reading the Stormlight series. Pretty good if you are into fantasy. I think the Wheel of Time was better but the first one is good so far.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score

Very much a let down. Some nice turns of phrase and some points that few people would disagree with, but mixed in with a lot of dodgy argumentation. I've never been one for Stoicism, but I thought since Cicero is reputedly an eclectic and sceptic--the same as me--that the Stoic philosophy might resonate more if seen through the lens of his explanations. Guess not.

Alpo2

Elder
Reaction score
Just read this:

It's a biography of a mother and an amphetamine addict. Picked it up to have some glimpse of "lifestyle" I have zero contact with. The book was quite good but the story was really heartbreaking.

Still reading on-and-off Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Next up probably:

The first one is about witch hunts in 17th century Sweden. The latter is translation of On the Shortness of Life.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got into these through a course I'm doing. Not related, despite the similar titles.

bwallace23350

Reaction score
I am reading Mere Christianity and AD 30 right now. I am about 50 pages away from finishing AD 30 and left it in my moms car. Sad weekend.

Reaction score
Recently re-read Lord of the Rings... again. It's my all time favourite and as always I would recommend it to everyone.

I've just started The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene, it was recommended to me by one of my teachers and so far I'm liking it, although you do have to sit down and really concentrate to take everything in. I don't mind dense books as long as it's well written. It's about a... decidedly not very holy Mexican Roman Catholic priest on the run during the persecutions. The character study of this priest, his internal thoughts and motivations and (from what I've heard, haven't got to this part of the book yet) the development he goes through mentally/spiritually is fantastic. I bought this novel when I was still a practicing Catholic because I just wanted to read some Catholic fiction but it's still worth a read for me I think.

t100_novels_powerandtheglory.jpg

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Finally found the direction my MMD 2021 challenge is going to go.

Alpo2

Elder
Reaction score
I guess this thread is good as any. I wonder if Vita Patrum by St. Gregory of Tours has been published as an ebook?

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Has anyone read Aristotle East and West: Metaphysics and the Division of Christendom / David Bradshaw? I was wondering what you thought about it if you did?

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone read Aristotle East and West: Metaphysics and the Division of Christendom / David Bradshaw? I was wondering what you thought about it if you did?
Yes; have read & own; definitely worth reading if you're interested in the E/E topic on an academic level. A great deal of it is dedicated to objective historiography of requisite concepts for which reason even those who find themselves at the end opposed to Bradshaw's point of view, e.g. those committed to ADS (as distinguished from DS as such) regard the work as valuable in its detailed exporation of the history of relevant ideas.

One caveat -unless you have a fair background in academic philosophy and perhaps historiography you won't find it a light read (I have a graduate school background in Phil & Theol)

One suggestion as a supplement if you want a broad variety of opinions on the work from scholars hailing from a variety of confessional backgrounds both agreeing and disagreeing, with replies to all by Bradshaw at the end, I would also recommend C. Athanasopoulos and C Schneider, eds., Divine Essence and Divine Energies: Ecumenical Reflections on the Presence of God in Eastern Orthodoxy. One thing clear enough an all sides in the wake of academic reception and/or reply to Bradshaw's work is, whether accepting or rejecting his conclusions, no serious academic treatment forthwith can really dispense with seriously engaging them.

Last edited: