• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What is everyone reading?

Christos3

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Working through three books
"Old Man and the Sea" Hemmingway.
"The Exorcist" Blatty
"The Ultimate Proof of Creation - Resolving the origins debate." Dr. Jason Lisle

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
chernobyl.jpg

With the exception of one horrific scene, it hasn't hit quite as hard for me as the HBO mini-series did, especially because of the audio-visual aspect, though I guess I didn't expect it to. It certainly makes up for it with all the extra detail of what 'regular folks' were experiencing though.

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
Some of the books I'm working through or have worked through in the last couple of months:

David Bentley Hart "The New Testament: A Translation"
David Bentley Hart "The Experience of God: Being, Consciousness, and Bliss"
David Bentley Hart "The Story of Christianity: A History of 2000 Years of the Christian Faith"
David Bentley Hart "That All Shall be Saved: Heaven, Hell, and Universal Salvation"
Milton Friedman "Capitalism and Freedom"
Walter E. Williams "All It Takes is Guts: A Minority View"
Steven Rinella "American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon"
Irving Finkel "The Ark Before Noah: Decoding the Story of the Flood"
Dario Fernandez Morera "The Myth of the Andalusian Paradise: Muslims, Christians, and Jews Under Islamic Rule in Medieval Spain"
Richard Fletcher "Moorish Spain"
Mike Tyson "Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography"
Lesley Hazelton "Agnostic: A Spirited Manifesto"
Lesley Hazelton "The First Muslim: The Story of Muhammed"
Lesley Hazelton "After the Prophet: The Epic Story of the Shia-Sunni Split in Islam"
樊锦诗 “我心归处是敦煌”
余秋雨 “文化苦旅”

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Is that just the image you grabbed, or are you actually listening to the audiobook? Seems like that one might be a tougher one, given the content. I mean, it's not terribly details, but even as it is mentioned generally.

David Bentley Hart "The New Testament: A Translation"
I've been meaning to check that out...

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
I'll admit, I'm listening to the audiobook (actually most of my English "reading" nowadays is audiobooks; Chinese books I'll actually read to maintain/improve my reading level).

I've only started the New Testament; and as I don't understand Greek it helps me better understand some of the early complaints from pagans/critics/commentators familiar with the text of the writing style.

Also, never really considered whether or not Jesus and his early followers could understand Greek but Hart (if I'm not mistaken; maybe I read/heard it from another source) argues in one of his books that they likely understood and were comfortable with the language; I found that interesting. I'd like to due more research on how well the commoner in the eastern part of the Roman Empire understood Greek.

Should also mention I wish SVS Press would offer versions of their books in audiobook format for the convenience of a lazy bum like myself.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
Is that just the image you grabbed, or are you actually listening to the audiobook? Seems like that one might be a tougher one, given the content. I mean, it's not terribly details, but even as it is mentioned generally.

That's just the image I grabbed. I'm reading a real book, not even a "digital" one :). I don't like audiobooks and wherever possible much prefer a real book to a Kindle edition. Call me old and old-fashioned!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
If anyone gets this in September, can you share a few thoughts on what you think?

I've read the description, but I'm curious about more details before I consider dropping $39.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Nicomachean Ethics / Aristotle; translated , with introduction, notes, and glossary by Terence Irwin.
The Mrs. says it looks like a real page turner.:)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Nicomachean Ethics / Aristotle; translated , with introduction, notes, and glossary by Terence Irwin.
The Mrs. says it looks like a real page turner.:)
🙃

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
armenian.jpg

This is a large, beautiful coffee table book that is sold for $65 on Amazon... and which I got at my local library used book sale for $1. I feel like I've gotten away with a crime or something.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Senior Patriarchate
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Moscow Patriarchate
Currently I am reading The Ecclesiastical History of the English People by St. Bede.

It's a great read for someone who wants to connect to some British Saints from a time when the country was Orthodox.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Has anybody read the Expanse series? I was looking for some lighter reading. The Wikipedia article about the first book seems like it is interesting.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Currently I am reading The Ecclesiastical History of the English People by St. Bede.

It's a great read for someone who wants to connect to some British Saints from a time when the country was Orthodox.
That’s a good one! I read it years and years ago.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Has anybody read the Expanse series? I was looking for some lighter reading. The Wikipedia article about the first book seems like it is interesting.
I haven't, no. Is that what the tv show The Expanse was based on? I remember a bunch of reaction channels starting to watch that a while back.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
71kjxqUyNEL.jpg

The last two I read by Ehrman were pretty good: Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth, and The Triumph of Christianity: How a Small Band of Outcasts Conquered an Empire. Those two were closer to a traditional orthodox position though, and this one, I think, is more antagonistic

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Didn't Ehrman become an atheist a few years ago? Something about not being able to reconcile evil and suffering with a loving God?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Didn't Ehrman become an atheist a few years ago? Something about not being able to reconcile evil and suffering with a loving God?
I'm not sure, but I think he did write a book about evil and the Bible/Christianity, so maybe that was about the time he broke off from whatever form of Christianity he was part of...?

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
I've made it through a few of his courses offered on the Great Courses:

Some courses I'll get to eventually:

Anyways, I seem to retain information from these lecture series more than books.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
God gives us love, and so, we can make it through this physical world.

That is my opinion, with which you are free to disagree.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Sorry to go off topic.

Anyway, I am making it through "The Silmarillion." Been one of my favorite books since junior high school. Yes, the language is a bit shiny or purple or whatever you want to call it. I still like it.

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
My daughter reads to me in the evening. We will finish this one tonight.
Screenshot_20210915-154140.png

bwallace23350

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
I got three doing on right now. The one I am most excited about is On First Principles by Origen

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Have you read Larchet's "The Theology of Illness" or Lewis' "The Problem of Pain"? Those are only 2 of a number of good books dealing with the issues of pain and suffering and death and the Christian response to them.

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
Have you read Larchet's "The Theology of Illness" or Lewis' "The Problem of Pain"? Those are only 2 of a number of good books dealing with the issues of pain and suffering and death and the Christian response to them.
Thank you so much!

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
I haven't, no. Is that what the tv show The Expanse was based on? I remember a bunch of reaction channels starting to watch that a while back.
Yes. The show is based on the novels written by James S. A. Corey, which is a pen name for two authors. I read the first novel and am currently reading the second one. There are more expletives than I like. Yes, I know. Some people talk that way, but I think one can write a good novel without using them. The first one was interesting, although I thought the authors dragged with the ending. So far, the second one is interesting.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Some seasonal chills and thrills, all for a good cause.

Christos3

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
The Church in Babylon by Edwin Lutzer.
"How do we live faithfully in a culture that perceives our light as darkness?"

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
View attachment 20781

I love him already. I would say that it's one of many cultural idolatries, and because our culture has forgotten God, we are seeing what the new paganism looks like. The god of antiracism, the god of organic food, the god of fitness, the god of veganism, the god of..., on and on, in all directions. Some of us make an idol out of church or the Bible. It's not every person decrying racism, just like not every vegan idolizes their veganism. In any given case, it's a specific, very noisy minority that the media unfortunately latches onto. Ideally, the pushback shouldn't take the form of a broad brush.