• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

What is everyone reading?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
vano.jpg

Part of the description on goodreads says that this "has cult status and the book is famous throughout Georgia, even forming part of the philosophy curriculum." Not sure what to make of that. Here is chapter 6 as a sample:

Once they said this: Vano is stupid, and Niko isn't stupid.

"What can I do? I'm stupid," thought Vano, and was still stupid.

"I'm clever!" Niko was happy.

"Ahh," sighed Niko to Vano, "what a misfortune, to be born only once and born stupid."

"Yes," Vano agreed, "to be born only once and born stupid, too. Well done to you, though, that you're not stupid but clever."

Vano was troubled that he was stupid.

Niko was happy, since he was clever.

Vano went out, and he was still stupid.

Niko did not go out, since he was clever.

Vano went out, always walking around, and was still stupid.

Niko did not go out, didn't walk around, since he was clever.

The sun was rising...

Vano was looking at how the sun was rising. He was saying "How nice!" and was still stupid.

Niko wasn't looking at how the sun was rising and wasn't saying anything, since he was clever.

...And the day came...

Vano was gazing at the day and was happy that it was day, and was still stupid.

Niko wasn't gazing at the day, since he was clever.

The sun was setting...

The sun was setting, and the west looked like a purple dream. Vano was fazing at the sunset and was saying, "How nice!" and was still stupid.

Niko was clever.

Vano loved. Vano loved and cried. Vano cried and laughed. Vano laughed and was still stupid.

Niko wasn't stupid, since he did not love.

Life was nice, and Vano was saying, "How nice!" and Niko was clever.

"Ahh," sighed Niko to Vano, "what a misfortune, to be born only once and born stupid."

"Yes," Vano answered, "to be born only once and born stupid, too. Well done to you, though, that you're clever--how good!"

Days went by, and Vano was still stupid.

Days went by, since Niko was clever.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
I'm stupid and I don't live as I should. Take that, philosophy.

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Have been on a strange kick lately -re-reading older but still useful books I found particularly mesmerizing or helpful in decades past.
Will only mention a couple -I have a lifelong tendency to converge to some 30 or more books being read at a time ("method" not recommended), but will mention only selections from the current cue...

Currently on a Kline kick with two superlative reads from the glorious 80's (probably not too ridiculous for non-math-elitists despite the seemingly foreboding titles); the former converges upon science and/or philosophy of science more -e.g. how we can so magnificently harness things like mathematics of gravity and electromagnetism though at the end of the day it ends up questionable that we have the slightest genuine idea of what the "things" behind their reliably manipulable behavior (to mind-boggling degree) actually are(!) the latter book explores the interesting question of how in God's green earth we can nevertheless construct reliably engineered skyscrapers and fly to the moon and back without dying etc. (almost all the math involved in the latter sling-shotting etc. having been known as long ago as to Newton) despite the complete, incontrovertible and most likely irremidial modern to postmodern collapse of certainty (apodictic) in mathematics.

Mathematics and the Search for Knowledge
(Oxford, 1985)
Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty (Oxford, 1980)

Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
tahar.jpg

^Set in Morocco, a Father grows frustrated after having 7 daughters, so when he has an 8th daughter he decides to raise her as a boy so she can inherit his property rather than his brothers. I'm only part way through and it's fine so far, but I've heard it takes a sharp turn in another direction at some point.

prince.jpg

^Set in medieval Constantinople during a period of iconoclasm, it's a retelling of the fairytale The Fisherman and His Wife.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK

Keva

Reaction score
Faith
catholic
Jurisdiction
zagrebs diocese
Book that everybody is talking about. They call it the haunted book. Real name is "October 30" written by Adam Medvidović. They are constantly deleting the book from the internet, so its hard to buy it , because when its published it stays just a little on the internet before they erase it again. They say everything in the book is true...
They banned the book from the big publishers, and now it appears here and there on the internet

Link to the book is below, but im not sure if its working. That is bizzare. When I try to buy it something always fails and I cant buy it. I read it already as an e-book but when I tried to buy it in paperback version something always stops me in the system. Its creepy. If somebody manages to buy the book in the paperback version let him contact me, so he can buy one for me and I will send the money in double...

Keva

Reaction score
Faith
catholic
Jurisdiction
zagrebs diocese
Book that everybody is talking about. They call it the haunted book. Real name is "October 30" written by Adam Medvidović. They are constantly deleting the book from the internet, so its hard to buy it , because when its published it stays just a little on the internet before they erase it again. They say everything in the book is true...
They banned the book from the big publishers, and now it appears here and there on the internet

Link to the book is below, but im not sure if its working. That is bizzare. When I try to buy it something always fails and I cant buy it. I read it already as an e-book but when I tried to buy it in paperback version something always stops me in the system. Its creepy. If somebody manages to buy the book in the paperback version let him contact me, so he can buy one for me and I will send the money in double...

And its also about that information coming from Catholic Marian apparitions, that Russia and the east, and the eastern orthodox church, in general, will save the western Church, the information contained in the third secret of Fatima, its interesting because its coming from the catholic side. Im just not sure is it included in this first episode or the second episode, anyway one must read first episode to understand the second...

In general, I love reading Catholic books that are talking about our Orthodox faith. Information in this book are so hartwarming and exciting for us Orthodox people. We should boast about this book everywhere because its the first time in the history that Marian aparitions and Virgin Mary reveal in their Catholic world the role of the Orthodox faith. That's why they are suppresing the third secret of Fatima...

Christos3

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Take off Your Pants!

Take off 2.jpg

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Book that everybody is talking about.
Never heard of it, but I looked it up, and if the author is not making up the controversy himself in order to get someone to pay £7.35 for it, I'll eat my bobble hat :giggle:

Keva

Reaction score
Faith
catholic
Jurisdiction
zagrebs diocese
Never heard of it, but I looked it up, and if the author is not making up the controversy himself in order to get someone to pay £7.35 for it, I'll eat my bobble hat :giggle:
Hahahaha...
That was my reaction also...

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Finished The Insulted and Injured by Dostoevsky. Halfway through the Lays of Marie de France.

dcommini

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
lifeofanorthodoxsoldier.blogspot.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
My brother and I were talking about reading the Lord of the Rings over Lent. He mentioned a reading plan for it, but neither of us can find an Orthodox version. I think I'll just read it all anyway and see how far it gets me.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
My brother and I were talking about reading the Lord of the Rings over Lent. He mentioned a reading plan for it, but neither of us can find an Orthodox version. I think I'll just read it all anyway and see how far it gets me.
Why would there be a specifically "Orthodox" version of LOTR? That makes no sense to me. Tolkien was a Roman Catholic. He viewed the world through a Catholic lens and that is reflected in his fiction. You can translate a book from English to Russian or Greek or Romanian or whatever, but you can't translate a book, especially fiction, from Catholic to Orthodox or vice-versa. Why would you even want to? You would lose the essence of the book.

dcommini

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Why would there be a specifically "Orthodox" version of LOTR? That makes no sense to me. Tolkien was a Roman Catholic. He viewed the world through a Catholic lens and that is reflected in his fiction. You can translate a book from English to Russian or Greek or Romanian or whatever, but you can't translate a book, especially fiction, from Catholic to Orthodox or vice-versa. Why would you even want to? You would lose the essence of the book.
Forgive me for not being clearer.

I meant an Orthodox version of a Lenten reading plan for the Lord of the Rings, not an Orthodox version of Lord of the Rings. I've found a Roman Catholic version, which I may look into.

And, before others ask, this wouldn't be replacing my normal daily readings, but just a fun way to read LotR during Lent.

dcommini

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Is there a Catholic lenten reading plan for LOTR? If so, what's the point?
Yes, see here. I don't know how "official" it is.

As to the point. My point would be to enjoy the LotR series again during Lent as I cut out all social media and TV.

I used to, years ago, read LotR starting every Easter as I was gifted it once. And I'd like to get back into that personal tradition.

Again, this isn't to replace my usual daily readings, but to have something else to read during Lent.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
Yes, see here. I don't know how "official" it is.

As to the point. My point would be to enjoy the LotR series again during Lent as I cut out all social media and TV.

I used to, years ago, read LotR starting every Easter as I was gifted it once. And I'd like to get back into that personal tradition.

Again, this isn't to replace my usual daily readings, but to have something else to read during Lent.
Seeing Christian themes in literature is nice, but can be done anytime.

dcommini

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Seeing Christian themes in literature is nice, but can be done anytime.
Yes, it can, but as I stated, my reasoning for reading the series through Lent isn't to see Christian themes in Lent, but rather to read the series for enjoyment. Because I used to read the series for enjoyment, and I rather like to think that I'd enjoy enjoying the series again.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
Yes, it can, but as I stated, my reasoning for reading the series through Lent isn't to see Christian themes in Lent, but rather to read the series for enjoyment. Because I used to read the series for enjoyment, and I rather like to think that I'd enjoy enjoying the series again.
You don't need reading plans to enjoy reading.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
Correct, but I wanted to read through Lent, and finish on Pascha, so I thought looking for a reading plan to do so would be beneficial so I can read a bit every day.
Is there a way to calculate the amount of reading based on the number of days of Lent? Or just follow the Catholic schedule and move it around a bit.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
There's a Hole in the Bucket, Dear Liza, Dear Liza. There's a Hole in the Bucket Dear Liza.

dcommini

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Is there a way to calculate the amount of reading based on the number of days of Lent? Or just follow the Catholic schedule and move it around a bit.
That's pretty much what we're doing. Just moved a few things around to get the dates to line up better

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Has anyone here read the fifth volume of the Philokalia, and if so does it have any texts that could be equally useful to the laity, or is it mostly stuff aimed at more advanced monastics?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
The Prince of Fishes, by Suzannah Rowntree. A clockpunk fairytale retelling set in Constantinople during the early days of the Iconomachy. Engrossing in a way the original never was.

Christos3

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
A journey through great lent.

Journey.jpg

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Just finished The Religion of the Apostles : Orthodox Christianity in the First Century / Fr. Stephen De Young.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
Reading "Alexander Schmorell: Saint of the German Resistance" and really liked a diary entry from Sophie Scholl -

My soul is like an arid waste when I try to pray to You, conscious of nothing but its own barrenness. My God, transform that ground into good soil so that Your seed doesn't fall on it in vain.... Do not turn away from me if I fail to hear You knock; open my deaf, deaf heart.... Receive me and do with me as You will, I beseech You, I beseech You.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
Just finished The Religion of the Apostles : Orthodox Christianity in the First Century / Fr. Stephen De Young.
What did you think of it?

(The title kind of intrigues me--"...Orthodox Christianity..."--unless I'm mistaken there was neither Orthodox nor Catholic nor Protestant Christianity in the 1st century, just Christianity. Interesting...)

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
^He has some interesting theories. I do not know if they are true or not - hard to say. He did not leave many footnotes in his book, which is the worst criticism. Others on Amazon criticized the lack of notes also. It would have been better if he did use a lot of footnotes so others could check his sources. You can get an idea of where he is coming from by listening to some Lord of Spirits episodes at the Ancient Faith website: https://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/lordofspirits