What is everyone reading?

Cephas

Elder
Reaction score
+ Irini nem ehmot,

Finishing up the Gospel of St. John and I'll be starting the Epistle to the Romans afterwards.  Does anyone know of any good commentaries on Romans?  Any recommendations would be great.

Please pray for me.

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
suzannes said:
Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo.  For a church book-group.
I REALLY got bogged down on that book. Strange because I thought Toilers of the Sea was one of the best books I have ever read (in translation, of course).

Tsarina

Reaction score
I'm currently reading, "St. John Chrysostom- Six Books On the Priesthood."

I've only read some of the book, and it's amazing! Looking forward to the next chapter.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
That was an interesting text by St. John, though I think it's sort of funny how he rationalizes his deception of his friend. Not that I think he's wrong or did anything immoral, it's just that if someone did the same today and tried to excuse it away, the traditionalists (and even most moderate Orthodox) would be all over him as having sinned, and yet here is one of the most celebrated saints of the Orthodox Church doing that kind of thing. Anyway, the widespread and accepted use of deception in Church history is another topic altogether... maybe I'll make a thread on that, since it's not really fair for me to just let that hanging out there :)

As far as what I've been reading, it's mostly been articles here and there on the internet, with the only book that I've been giving any real time to being Critiques of God: Making the Case Against Belief in God (Ed. by Peter A Angeles). It's been a bit dry, so far. There are a couple essays by Freud and Dewey coming up though... those should be entertaining, if not totally agreeable.

Dismus

Elder
Reaction score
EkhristosAnesti said:
Mounce, Basics of Biblical Greek
Plato, The Trial and Death of Socrates
Ross, Y., Ethics in Law
Warraq, I., The Origins of the Koran
How do you like the Koran book so far?

Donna Rose

High Elder
Reaction score
kansas city said:
Angelina Jolie - Notes from My Travels
(not kidding  :) )
I actually bought that book when it came out...I started reading it, but for some reason never got drawn in. I was very into all she had done and all the personal changes it seemed to cause in her, but the book just didn't do it for me...I'd be curious as to what you think of it once you finish.

As for what I'm currently reading: I'm perpetually rereading Lord of the Rings, also rereading a fantasy series by Robert Jordan called The Wheel of Time (I'm on Crown of Swords), then there's The Mystery of Christ: Life in Death by Fr. John Behr (very good, this, if challenging at points, but worth the work it takes to get through, definitely), and Into the Wild by John Krakauer.

D

Carpatho Russian

Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Panagiotis said:
On the Dormition of Mary what did you think of the introduction and what did you think of the first writing in the text?
I had some issues though I greatly enjoyed the work.
Panagiotis,
Greeting you on the Feast of Our Blessed Mother's Dormition (and thinking of the roast turkey sandwich I'm having for lunch tomorrow!)
I also enjoyed the collection of homilies.  If I may ask, what are some of the issues you had?
As far as the first text of John of Thessalonica, it is very similar to the pious legends of the holy day I was taught in my youth.
CR

Panagiotis

Elder
Reaction score
Website
twocentphilosophist.blogspot.com
As far as the first text of John of Thessalonica, it is very similar to the pious legends of the holy day I was taught in my youth.
The issue I had was not with the legends, its was with the Primacy of Peter and his being chosen to be the "leader of the Apostles" as was stated. Whereas it was never mentioned among the others from what I remembered. Other than that, it touched my heart greatly and gave me great strength in my devotion and intercessory prayer life.

Greeting you on the Feast of Our Blessed Mother's Dormition
Thank you, good sir and may Her intercessions grant us grace from our Lord of Heaven!

Christ is in our midst,
Panagiotis

Krysostomos

Reaction score
At the moment I´m reading The Cronicles vol I by Bob Dylan. Last year it was published in Finnish translation, but I try to manage with the authors´ own words...
Bob writes, that he´s not a profet of the young/ old generation - but "the poet singer."

aserb

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
"Autobiography of Malcolm X" with Alex Haley.

Reads like a novel, the man had a fascinating life. He is one of my heroes.Strange coming from a white, ethnic working class background turned white collar professional dude, but I admire his guts not only to change himself but to try to effect change on a larger sphere. Guts to stand up to hypocrisy even at a cost to himself, his pride, his finances.

kansas city

Reaction score
As for the Angelina Jolie book..  I feel bad saying that it feels superficial and naive but... it's Angelina Jolie writing a diary on her first impressions of refugee camps, demining campaigns, generally adverse conditions and hostile environments.

Lots of redundant definitions and general statistics. 

She also keeps saying, "I feel bad complaining, these people have nothing, but..."

I guess i'm still reading hoping for a change toward an insightful, less emotive Angelina to come out with some real commentary, more interesting cameos and an interesting travelogue... She's only got a couple of chapters left though.

In other news I heard she moved out and took the kids... I really thought they'd work.  I should repost that in other topics and get a real all american thread goin

Carpatho Russian

Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Panagiotis said:
The issue I had was not with the legends, its was with the Primacy of Peter and his being chosen to be the "leader of the Apostles" as was stated.
I didn't pick up on that when reading John of Thessalonica's account of the Dormition.  However, I don't see an issue with it as the Church has no issue with the "primacy" of Peter among the Apostles.  To quote a stichera from the feast (Glory verse of the Aposticha, tone 4), "At Your departing, O Virgin Theotokos, to Him who was ineffably born of You, James the first bishop and brother of the Lord was there, as so was Peter, the honored leader and chief of the disciples, and the whole sacred fellowship of the apostles."

Reaction score
I'm finally onto a new batch of books for study:

1) Lambdin, T.O., Introduction to Sahidic Coptic

2) Varipatis, Fr. C., Marriage and the Freedom of the Human Person: Based on the Poetry of ArchBishop Stylianos of Australia

3) Breck, J., Scripture in Tradition

4) A range of commentaries on the Coptic Liturgy of St. Basil by Fr. Abram Sleman, Fr. Athanasius Iskander and Fr. James Soliman.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Sociology for my class.

"Tales of the Otori" volume 3 by Lian Hearn: "Brilliance of the Moon". The first two books are "Across the Nightingale Floor" and "Grass for His Pillow".  These are novels sent in an imagined period of Japanese history that has elements of several centuries.  One interesting aspect is a group of people called "The Hidden" which while not explicitly Christian, have some relation to the "Kakure Kirishitan" the "Hidden Christians" who were groups of believers who kept the faith as best as they could with limited resources and a danger of death if discovered following the "Closing" of Japan and the explusion of Christianity.

A biography of Tokugawa Ieyesu

and more of course.  ;)

Ebor

aurelia

High Elder
Reaction score
Just finished Hillybilly Gothic:a memoir of madness and motherhood by A. Martini.  Excellent book, especially for those of us who suffered a bout of PPD...even if not to this iextent.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Just got done reading Religions of Star Trek. It was a lot more superficial in dealing with the material than I expected, especially considering that there were three professors writing it. There was no examination of Picard's lines from Who Watches the Watchers, where he basically condemns religion as delusions and instead endorses a version of scientism. There is no examination of the fact that the Bajoran "Emissary" (and starfleet officer) Sisko is willing to commit mass-murder and/or genocide more than once, and how the Bajorans might feel about such morality. It's just your normal "Ardra represents the Devil" sort of stuff.

Just started reading Babylonian Life and History by Budge.