What is everyone reading?

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Just got done reading Religions of Star Trek. It was a lot more superficial in dealing with the material than I expected, especially considering that there were three professors writing it. There was no examination of Picard's lines from Who Watches the Watchers, where he basically condemns religion as delusions and instead endorses a version of scientism. There is no examination of the fact that the Bajoran "Emissary" (and starfleet officer) Sisko is willing to commit mass-murder and/or genocide more than once, and how the Bajorans might feel about such morality. It's just your normal "Ardra represents the Devil" sort of stuff.
I made the mistake of reading The Physics of Star Trek once, now I realize it's pop science, but considering the type of people actually likely to buy such a book I thought that they might at least present the basics of the theory and a few fundamental equations...not an equation throughout the book and such a basic overview of the science that many things that were said were wrong...oh, and the guy who wrote it had a Ph.D. in physics, if I recall properly...I resolved then to never read any more popular science or 'of Star Trek' books again...I'd rather read a good Journal Article any day :)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Started Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel Dennett yesterday. I've never read a book of his before, though I've seen a couple lengthy interviews. (also, fwiw, Dennett was recently in the hospital, which spurred him on to write a short letter titled Thank Goodness!)

Sloga

High Elder
Reaction score
Started a few days ago reading The Fourth Crusade and the Sack of Constantinople by Nathan Phillips. I've only read the intro so far but it's one of those descriptive and thought provoking books you think about all the time  ;).

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Sloga

We should maybe start a thread on that some time. I think you're the second or third person to mention that book on this thread, and I've read that one as well. 

PS. To whom it may concern, is there some reason that my name is a tag?  :)

Veniamin

Archon
Reaction score
I just finished The Mighty and the Almighty by Madeline Albright, which was rather disappointing.  Right now, I'm reading Active Liberty by Justice Stephen Breyer.

welkodox

Archon
Reaction score
Carpatho Russian said:
I've just started reading The Plainchant Tradition of Southwestern Rus by Joan Roccasalvo.
I'm going to have to get that.

I'm getting ready to start "Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq".  I just finished "Homestead: The Glory and Tragedy of an American Steel Town". 

I also read Diego Saves the Treefrogs tonight.

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
J. F. C. Fuller's The Second World War, 1939-1945: a strategical and tactical history

Very interesting guy, Major-General during WWI serving with distinction in His Majesty's Army, celebrated inter-war theorist, friend of Hart and Guderian not to mention close friend and ally of Sir Oswald Mosley and leading member of the British Union of Fascists, even an acquaintance to Hitler, on top of that he was an occultist and one of the earlier western authors on pagan and far-eastern mysticism...but most of all he was a brilliant military theorist and prolific historian. It's unfortunate that the liberal pc crowd dismiss him because of his political ideology, his objectivity and intelligence far surpasses his peers and as a result his insights are magnificent and unique. Some of the best analysis of latter wars, including Vietnam, out there are little more than a plagiarism of Fuller's military theory, a theory developed in the inter-war era at that (he is to military history what Goebbels is to rhetoric, the Master that everyone reads, and every aspires towards, but no one will admit to).

I'm about half way through this book and I've already come to the conclusion that an understanding of the principles presented is essential to being capable of competently discussing the second world war...it certainly forced me to re-evaluate many deeply held convictions about the war that simply wern't true.

aserb

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
"Homestead: The Glory and Tragedy of an American Steel Town"

I grew up near Homestead, PA and as a result this book has become personal to me having seen, heard and smelled first hand the steel industry.

I am also on an extended run re-reading Hansel and Gretel.  What a violent and mean spirited book, that step-mother and the old witch.  :eek:

welkodox

Archon
Reaction score
Baby Jaguar is an amazingly complex character.  Not everybody realizes that.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
For complex you should count Swiper.... After all, he will gleefully take things but is stopped cold by the triple "Swiper!  No Swiping!"  Just why would that work?

:D

Ebor

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
At the same time: Peter Anson, Bishops at Large (cautionary tales for high churchmen) and Paul Hendrickson, Seminary: A Search (pre-Vatican II RC as it really was; maybe high-school seminaries weren't such a good idea). Next: The Apostolic Fathers edited by Fr Jack Sparks.

Matthew777

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Right now, I'm reading The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James for my philosophy class (or I'm at least pretending well enough to pass my exams).

Peace.

cholmes

Reaction score
Heading down the home stretch of "The Brothers Karamazov."

AngloCatholic

Reaction score
cholmes said:
Heading down the home stretch of "The Brothers Karamazov."
Too many different books on my count :)

1.  Just downloaded Brothers Karamazov to my new Sony Reader - cool toy that my boss gave out to his leadership team - nice boss!

2.  The Road to Serfdom

3.  St. Cyril of Jerusalem

4.  Orthodox Psychotherapy (wonderful book, but I have to take it in small doses).

5.  Thinking about starting "Storming the Barricades" (Chess book)

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Last week, I read Disraeli, by Andre Maurois. This week I have opted for a most profound literary work; Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony.  ;D

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
What I worked on/ am finishing over break:
Conversations with Czeslaw Milosz
The Power of the Powerless and other Essays by Vaclav Havel et al
Dead Souls by Gogol
Fathers and Sons by Turgenev
Fear and Trembling by Kierkegaard
The Sickness unto Death by Kierkegaard

I'm taking a class on Dostoevsky next semester with this reading list:
Crime and Punishment
The Idiots
The Possed/The Demons
The Brothers Karamazov

Reaction score
Kamil, J., Christianity in the Land of the Pharoahs: The Coptic Orthodox Church.
Pelikan, J., Acts