What is everyone reading?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Been slowly working on A Noble Task: Entry into the Clergy in the First Five Centuries
by Lewis J. Patsavos (Translated by Norman Russell)

My Canon Law professor's doctoral dissertation for the University of Athens (hence why it needed to be translated).

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
For a bit of lighter reading Installing Linux on a Dead Badger by Lucy Snyder  geek humour with a bit of the macabre (employing zombies as tech support for example)

Ebor

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Started two new books recently. One is Jesus: A Life by A.N. Wilson. It's hardly orthodox, but it is at least an engaging read (which sort of reminds me of his biography on Paul). The second book is Scripture and Tradition by Archbp. Chrysostomos and Bp. Auxentios. Of the Orthodox books on this subject that I've read, I remember this one being the most helpful, so I figured I'd buy it and read it again. Luckily I snatched it up for $5, as the only other copy now on Amazon is $153.97!

MaryCecilia

Reaction score
Website
manytwistsandturns.blogspot.com
Currently i'm finishing up reading Star Trek TNG Crossover by Michael Jan Friedman. It's alright as far as Star Trek books go. Late in May i read "7th Heaven" by James Patterson which i thought was pretty good... i have been enjoying reading murder mysteries and sci fi/star trek books lately.

mary

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Still into light reading at the moment. Just finished "Ragamuffin Gospel" and thought it a little on the unbalanced side, but a pleasant read all the same. And I've just about finished three of Paul Doherty's books about political intrigue and murder in Ancient Rome set just after St Constantine has become emperor of the west.

Murder Imperial 
The Song of the Gladiator 
The Queen of the Night 

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
Just finished "Ragamuffin Gospel"
You might like his Abba's Child.  I say might because it's been 4 years since I've read it so I don't remember much about it.  I seem to recall that I did enjoy it at the time though.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Thanks, Gabriel. I'll have a look at that. I did like the Ragamuffin, but it seemed just a little unbalanced; though I understood his need to get the point across that God is unconditional in His love and we should be, too. It was a nice read.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I'm finally starting to get some Orthodox books to read! ;D I've been reading The Orthodox Way by Met. Kallistos over the past few days (also reread this critique of it), and just today I got The Sayings of the Desert Fathers in the mail.

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
GabrieltheCelt said:
My favorite Steinbeck work is Cannery Row.  His characters are described so richly and descriptively that it's easy to 'see' them.  He understands the human condition very well and I think most people can identify with at least parts of his characters or at least his narrative.   
Hear, hear! And also "Sweet Thursday"!

Carpatho Russian

Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Heorhij said:
I just finished Vladimir Lossky's "Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church" (in Russian, http://www.wco.ru/biblio/books/lossk1/Main.htm).
I started reading Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church (in English) this weekend.
I'm about halfway through William Rosen's Justinian's Flea.  And for fun, I'm reading Noah Charney's The Art Thief.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Heorhij said:
Hear, hear! And also "Sweet Thursday"!
Can you believe that I've never read Sweet Thursday?  And here I call myself a Steinbeck fan!  Really, though, I've read a great many of his fictional work and he's honestly, thus far, my favorite American author.  As for foreign authors, well, I'm no xenophobe, but I don't know whom to begin with.  I've read The Brothers K and liked it, but I'm having a rough time with Crime and Punishment.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I've read The Brothers K and liked it, but I'm having a rough time with Crime and Punishment.
For me it was the opposite... to each his own, I suppose :)

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.muw.edu
GabrieltheCelt said:
Can you believe that I've never read Sweet Thursday?  And here I call myself a Steinbeck fan!  Really, though, I've read a great many of his fictional work and he's honestly, thus far, my favorite American author.  As for foreign authors, well, I'm no xenophobe, but I don't know whom to begin with.  I've read The Brothers K and liked it, but I'm having a rough time with Crime and Punishment.
"Sweet Thursday" is a sequel to "Cannery Row." Very much the same style, and many heroes are the same. Incredible sense of humor, humility, lightness...

_Seraphim_

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxmysteries.com
Let us begin to really belong to the Orthodox Church of Christ.  Our ‘membership’ is not enough.  Something must move within us that makes us different from the world around us… even if that world calls itself ‘Christian’ or even ‘Orthodox.’  Let us keep and nourish those qualities of the true Orthodox worldview – a living, normal attitude; loving and forgiving; not self-centered; preserving our innocence and un-worldliness; even with a full and humble awareness of our own sinfulness and the power of the worldly temptations which surround us.  If we truly live this Orthodox worldview our faith will survive the shocks ahead of us and be a source of inspiration and salvation for those who will still be seeking Christ even amidst the shipwreck of humanity which has already begun today.
-Seraphim Rose, Living the Orthodox Worldview, August 8, 1982

Veniamin

Archon
Reaction score
I just wrapped up Kushiel's Scion, by Jacqueline Carey, and have moved on to its sequel, Kushiel's Justice.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The Well-Crafted Argument  the text book for the ENG102 class that I *have* to take as they've changed the rules since I was young and now everyone has to have a class in what we used to call "Freshman Comp."  The present chapter is on "Toulmin Analysis" of arguments.

also today I read some Usagi Yojimbo  ;)

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
After watching Disney murder Prince Caspian last weekend, I started reading the Chronicles of Narnia again.  Starting with The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, of course.

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
I never believed anyone could turn Lewis' masterpiece of defeating prejudice and living the Christian life even when God seems far away into such a bloodbath. That movie is not for children at all. Fortunately, the books are still as fantastic as ever.

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
I never believed anyone could turn Lewis' masterpiece of defeating prejudice and living the Christian life even when God seems far away into such a bloodbath. That movie is not for children at all. Fortunately, the books are still as fantastic as ever.
Agreed, it was all battle scenes and none of the actual storyline.  But, that's Disney and Hollywood for you.

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
They did the first one better, but I guess redemption and defeat of evil are more Hollywood-friendly themes than tolerance and perseverance.

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Currently The Isaac Play by Margaret Frazer (who also wrote the Dame Frivisse series), the first in a (relatively) new series by her about a group of English play performers in the mid-15th century.  I like the way she writes but there's WAY too much backstory going on.  The main crisis (a murder, natch) doesn't occur until almost 1/3 of the way through the book.  I'll give the next one in the series a try but if it's the same, I'll be leaving this one behind.

Anne Rice's Christ the Lord is up next.

Veniamin

Archon
Reaction score
Veniamin said:
I just wrapped up Kushiel's Scion, by Jacqueline Carey, and have moved on to its sequel, Kushiel's Justice.
Finished Kushiel's Justice a few days ago and have started on the last book, Kushiel's Mercy.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Finishing up reading The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? by F.F. Bruce, which wasn't as good as I figured it'd be. Also just started reading An Overview of Orthodox Canon Law (sorry Ozgeorge, that's the title :) ), by Prof. Dr. Panteleimon Rodopoulos.

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.muw.edu
I have just read St. John Chrysostom's "Homilies on Genesis" (in a Russian translation). It took me quite a while to get used to St. John style; at first, I was irritated because it seemed to me that he is too verbose and not really focused, that his thought jumps from subject to subject. But then, eventually, I did get used to his peculiar style. After all, we are talking about someone who lived in the late 4th century A.D. (when they definitely had different idea about what's good analytical writing), and someone who was famous for being a "rhetor," a public speaker-propagandist rather than a scholar-logocian. I think I benefited a lot from reading this book. Many interesting, deep thoughts, especially about the nature of God's so-called "punishments" (which are always, as St. John emphasizes, "therapeutic" rather than vindictive). Also, I was pretty surprised that there is almost no Platonism in this work. Chrysostom does not, for example, speak about "coats of skins" as the indication that the pre-lapsarian human body was "ethereal, light," but became "stout" after the Fall. In his mind, it seems, the consequence of the Fall was not a physical, but a psychological change in the humans, the emergence of certain wild, un-quenchable desires.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
I'm into Gore Vidal's Julian.  It is very anti-Christian (not to mention anti-Orthodox), but it is extremely well written and I'm enjoying every page of it.  I'm also counterbalancing it with G.W. Bowersock's Julian which is an actual historical biography.  I recommend both.

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Elder Zosima, Hesychast of Siberia. Its very good; almost done with it. I think next on the list is either Talks with Father Paisios or Heavenly Realm: Lay Sermons of Fr. Seraphim Rose.

aquaticus

Reaction score
Right now I'm reading "The Shape of the Liturgy" by Gregory Dix. It is an excellent book covering the development of Christian liturgical worship from penacost to the middle ages. It is a 750 page tome in small print so it should hold me a while.

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I've finished both Talks With Father Paisios and Elder Hadji-Georgis. I loved both of the books and strongly recommend them both. :) I'm reading Elder Joseph the Hesychast: Struggles, Experiences, Teachings which I'm about half way through it is very good. I've been looking at any books about monasticism especially stuff on Elder Paisios or Elder Joseph the Hesychast and other Athonite Fathers, I'm soon going to get Monastic Wisdom: The Letters of Elder Joseph the Hesychast along with Athonite Fathers and Athonite Matters by Elder Paisios.

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
Currently reading "The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time" by Mark Haddon.
It's listed as "teenage fiction", but I'm finding it quite brilliant. It's a "murder mystery" written from the perspective of 15 year old "Christopher" who has Asperger Syndrome. His concrete but logical thinking and inability to understand social cues and other's non-verbal communication both help and hinder his investigation of the "murder" of his neighbour's dog- and much more!

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
^ Interesting. I had a student with Asperger's a couple of years ago. She was a sweet kid when she had a good day, but she was so easily frustrated that I had to create a deal with her that she could sit in the hall by herself when she felt she had to be alone. This agreement helped to calm her, but she still missed out on a lot of instruction.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
At the bookstore the other day, I was thumbing through Why People Die by Suicide by Thomas Joiner.  Dr. Joiner lost his father to suicide in 1990 and the book develops a models as to why people commit suicide, one of which is the increased tolerance for pain while negating the self-preservation instinct.

I'm also waiting for the 2nd Edition of Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace by  Jo-Ellan Dimitrius & Mark C. Mazzarella.  I read the 1st Edition until I lost the book.

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.muw.edu
"New Lies for Old" and "The Perestroika Deception" by Anatoliy Golitsyn. Here's a link to full text in English (PDF file):

http://www.conspiracyresearch.org/forums/index.php?s=f5bd0e72b4cee04eb3a2afe3f5e1190b&act=attach&type=post&id=452

The books are, essentially, a compillation of memoranda sent to the CIA and other Western agencies by a former KGB officer in the years 1961-1989. Overall, might seem a bit "alarmist" or even "conspirationist," but a very interesting read. Quite a thought-provoking work.

Myrrh23

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I'm re-reading Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore, and reading for the first time LOAMHEDGE by Brian Jacques. :)

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
"Dark Lord of Derkholm", by Diana Wynne Jones.

"Emotional Vampires", by Albert J. Bernstein, Ph.D.

"Encountering the Mystery", by His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew.

The "Harry Potter" series for the umpteenth time; in preparation for the release of film #6; which, I hear, has been delayed.  :mad:

Myrrh23

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
The "Harry Potter" series for the umpteenth time; in preparation for the release of film #6; which, I hear, has been delayed.  :mad:
LOL, I haven't even read the first book.... :-X