What is everyone reading?

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nyssa The Hobbit said:
Thanks.  I grew up with it, too, and Nyssa was one of my favorites.  :)  When I found out there was a St. Gregory of Nyssa, I was pleasantly surprised.
Wonderful Saint he is, one of my favourites...as though most here couldn't have guessed that ;) ;D

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
As in the Barbarian?  And mightily thewed he is, by Crom!
ANd apparantly destined to wear the jewled crown of Acquilonia upon a troubled brow.

Reaction score
Website
nyssashobbithole.com
greekischristian said:
Wonderful Saint he is, one of my favourites...as though most here couldn't have guessed that ;) ;D
I'm thinking about taking on St. Gregory of Nyssa as a patron saint, along with my namesake (Queen Esther).  I even found an icon of him.  :D  No such luck with icons of Queen Esther, however....

Back on topic, I'm now reading Steven Runciman's "The Eastern Schism."  It's very enlightening.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Ian Lazarus said:
ANd apparantly destined to wear the jewled crown of Acquilonia upon a troubled brow.
after he treads the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.
;)

Ebor

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
In between all my textbooks (sigh), I'm reading

The Ladder of Divine Ascent by St. John Klimakos

Tales from the 1001 Nights trans. by Sir Richard Burton

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Finally finished Robert Graves' I, Claudius and now I'm on to Claudius the God.  I really need to start reading more than just non-fiction.  Anyone have suggestions as to good historical fiction.  Is there anything like that for the Byzantine era?  Let me know.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Finally finished Robert Graves' I, Claudius and now I'm on to Claudius the God.  I really need to start reading more than just non-fiction.  Anyone have suggestions as to good historical fiction. 
How far back and away do you want to go?  ;D  "The Tale of Genji" is fiction and written in Heian Japan around the year 1000.  The Norse Sagas are historical and and some are ripping good stories.  I'll be glad to check my shelves for recco's if you like. 

Ebor  ("So many books, so little time")

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
scamandrius said:
Finally finished Robert Graves' I, Claudius and now I'm on to Claudius the God.  I really need to start reading more than just non-fiction.  Anyone have suggestions as to good historical fiction.  Is there anything like that for the Byzantine era?  Let me know.
If you can read Ukrainian (unfortunately, I am not sure that there were English translations), I would very highly recommend Semen Sklyarenko's historical novels "Svyatoslav" and "Volodymyr." They were published in the original Ukrainian in the USSR, in the early- to mid-1960's. Both were my favorite historical novels when I was still a pre-teen. They are about the two powerful Eastern Slavic rulers, Svyatoslav Ihorevych (a grandson of the famous Scandinavian warrior Rurik and the son of a Slavic princess Volga a.k.a. Olga, an outstanding woman who was baptized and later canonized), and Svyatoslav's son, Volodymyr (Vladimir) Svyatoslavovych, baptized, canonized and declared "equal-to-the-Apostles" by the Orthodox Church. Both novels show a lot of history not only of Rus', but also of its neighboring countries, especially Byzantium. Of course, both of these novels are not quite "objective" (Slavs are shown as mostly heroes and Greeks mostly as constantly plotting against the good, freedom-loving Slavs), but as historical fiction, they are masterpieces.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Nyssa The Hobbit said:
I'll second that recommendation.  I read that book last year.  :)
Which translation did you read?  (or should I be envious and you can read Japanese?  :) )

Ebor

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Ebor said:
How far back and away do you want to go?   ;D  "The Tale of Genji" is fiction and written in Heian Japan around the year 1000.  The Norse Sagas are historical and and some are ripping good stories.  I'll be glad to check my shelves for recco's if you like. 

Ebor  ("So many books, so little time")
Thanks for the suggestion Ebor.  No offense to Japanese Culture, but I'd prefer to stick with material about the Middle EAst or Europe.  I have read Njal's Saga though it has been a long time and I should revisit it again.  I'll have to check into the Nibelungenlied again after listening to Gotterdamerung by Wagner.  Any opera fans, out there?  I know, wrong forum.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Thanks for the suggestion Ebor.  No offense to Japanese Culture, but I'd prefer to stick with material about the Middle EAst or Europe.  I have read Njal's Saga though it has been a long time and I should revisit it again.  I'll have to check into the Nibelungenlied again after listening to Gotterdamerung by Wagner.  Any opera fans, out there?  I know, wrong forum.
We found a rather fine production of the Ring Cycle last year. Some of the staging was very cool, (Fasolt and Fafnir as HUGE structures with the singers as the head and it must have been several stage hands underneath to move the body and arms and trundle it around; the Rhine defined by laser light in billows of stage smoke/fog.)  some not as much.  But Graham Clarke as Loge in "Das Rheingold" and then as Mime in "Siegfried" was riveting and John Tomlinson as Wotan was wonderful.  Back to the books

Ebor

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
We were telling the kids a bit about Njal's Saga just last night, the part about the death of Gunnar and before that the man going to find out if he is home in Hlidarend whom Gunnar hears and thrusts his halberd though the roofing.  When the others ask if Gunnar is home he replies "I do not know if Gunnar is home, but his halberd is."  And with that he fell dead. 

Well, have you read "Egil's Saga"?  There are several fascinating bits related to that one.  A roommate of mine was studying for a Ph.D in English specializing in Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse.  One of the Profs had been to Iceland, met descendents of Egil and they could do the quirky bit with the eyebrows that Egil is described as doing.  Also, from the descriptions of Egil's old age that quote him saying things like his extremities feel cold and he's losing his hearing as well as such things as his being described as ugly and bumpy *and* that he could be struck on the head with a weapon but his skull was so thick that it didn't kill him, a doctor some while back diagnosed Paget's Disease. 
http://www.viking.ucla.edu/Scientific_American/Egils_Bones.htm

Egil was both a fearsome warrior and a fine poet, both of which were important abilities.

Oh, how about "Gilgamesh"?  That's Middle Eastern and Old.

Ebor

Veniamin

Archon
Reaction score
Right now, when I'm not busy reading cases and statutes for class, I'm working on Rick Atkinson's An Army at Dawn about the war in North Africa in 1942-43.

Mostly, though, it's the Internal Revenue Code and Texas Oil and Gas Law.  :'(

jlerms

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another amusing part in Njal's Saga is when a warrior gets his leg cut off in battle and all he says is,
"That is what I get for forgetting my shield". :p

Juliana

James

Archon
Reaction score
Getting ready to start "Unseen Warfare" from St. Vladimirs Seminary Press, one needs many resources to do battle with the enemy...

james

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
jlerms said:
Another amusing part in Njal's Saga is when a warrior gets his leg cut off in battle and all he says is,
"That is what I get for forgetting my shield". :p

Juliana
Ah. Nice to see another Saga reader here.  I sometimes wonder if Norsemen made a little list of "Things to say..." if my ship is sinking; if I am captured by an enemy:  If I'm about to go over a cliff...  that sort of thing.

Ebor

ComingHome

Elder
Reaction score
Jakub said:
Getting ready to start "Unseen Warfare" from St. Vladimirs Seminary Press, one needs many resources to do battle with the enemy...
I have just finished this one (last night).  It was very good and has much helpful "advice."

I am working on The Idiot by Dostoevsky.  It like Brothers is not the easiest book I have ever read but I am enjoying it anyway.