What is everyone reading?

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Nearing the end of the Ladder of St. John.  I've got further this year than I did last year and it looks like I'll finish it. :)

I'm also reading the "A Lion's Tale", the autobiography of wrestler Chris Jericho.  Once that's finished (quick, quick read!), I'll be starting "Sword Song" by Bernard Cornwell (one of my favorite authors).

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I recently finished a collection of short stories by H.P. Lovecraft and have started Made in America by Bill Bryson.  Comedy's a nice relief after terrifying myself with Old Ones. 

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
TinaG said:
R- The 12 Step program for book buying addicts means simply turning around at the door of Barnes & Noble and walking 12 paces out the door.  Tell me how you like Christ the Eternal Tao. It's one I've wanted to read for a while now since I've gotten into martial arts.  If you're like me though, you end up reading the "fun" books faster and more consistently than the "serious" church books. 
I was in Borders the other day and bought yet another Cookbook, which I need like I need a hole in my head! One positive thing about the sojourn through Border's though, I bought a disk on Tai Chi. It's so graceful and I have been meaning to incorporate it into my keeping fit programme, but darn, it's harder than it looks! Being slow to catch on, I will take awhile to learn the first few movements.

And yes, I will read all the "fun" books before the more "serious". I read the introduction of "Christ the Eternal Tao" last evening. Looks good, but now I have come upon several chapters of poetry, something I'm not really all that patient with. I'm tempted to skip it as I usually do and get to the informative stuff. :( 

God grant me patience and do it now! :p

TinaG

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
comethatmidnight.wordpress.com
Riddikulus said:
I was in Borders the other day and bought yet another Cookbook, which I need like I need a hole in my head! One positive thing about the sojourn through Border's though, I bought a disk on Tai Chi. It's so graceful and I have been meaning to incorporate it into my keeping fit programme, but darn, it's harder than it looks! Being slow to catch on, I will take awhile to learn the first few movements.

And yes, I will read all the "fun" books before the more "serious". I read the introduction of "Christ the Eternal Tao" last evening. Looks good, but now I have come upon several chapters of poetry, something I'm not really all that patient with. I'm tempted to skip it as I usually do and get to the informative stuff. :( 
I think tai chi is going to quickly catch up with yoga in the US.  I'm really glad you are enjoying it so much.  A caution about tai chi on video though - it's very hard to learn correctly, it's hard to keep motivated without a class to participate in and you quickly get bored doing one Yang 24 routine over and over.  I've been doing the kung fu internal arts (tai chi, pa kua, weapons etc..) for 2 years now and a well run class is the way to go.  I will test into 3rd brown sash in a few months and then 1st black sash by the end of the year or early next.  The school has been what's kept me in for so long.  The variety, the challenge of testing, the comraderie.  It's been the best exercise program I've ever done and I've met so many wonderful people.  The benefit of learning with a martial arts instructor, is that you learn tai chi and the other internal forms as a martial art not just as an exercise program.  I used to think it was just a pretty Chinese ballet type dance form but it is a serious martial art.  The Yang forms are slow (but oh so hard to master at the correct speed with proper balance),  but when you get into the Chen forms, the different animal pa kua forms and weapons they are fast and use explosive power (hua ching) for very hard hits and strikes.  An instructor will also teach you proper breathing and meditation techniques to use, which really make a difference in your ability to concentrate and increase your power.  Good luck with this, and please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
TinaG said:
R- The 12 Step program for book buying addicts means simply turning around at the door of Barnes & Noble and walking 12 paces out the door. 

:D :D :D  Only twelve paces?  Not far at all.... and close enough that the pull of fresh pages, the smell of paper or maybe that special dust that only seems to collect in used book shops to reach out and pull you back.

Somewhere around here I have a humourous book on Bibliophilia/Bibliomania... but at the moment I can't recall the exact title.  :D  I can see the cover in my mind though.  It has such useful bits as techniques for bringing books into the house undetected (under ones coat, in a backpack etc) and a question list to judge how back a case one has, that asks such things as have you bought a book and found that you already have copy/ies? 

Ebor

TinaG

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
comethatmidnight.wordpress.com
A woman's #1 technique for sneaking anything into the house (new clothes, books, shoes) - leave it in your trunk for a day or so, and do not bring it into the house in the plastic bag from the store.  The crinkley sound of shopping bags is a dead giveaway that you have been shopping.  Sneak the item into your closet or bookshelf and do not wear or bring it out for several days.  However, in the most cases, your husband is so clueless about anything you are wearing or reading, that unless you left the tags on, (or in the case of clothing/shoes and it is so revealing or hoochey) they are very unlikely to notice anyway (and in the case of the aforementioned clothing items, they might actually not care how much you spent on them).

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
TinaG said:
I think tai chi is going to quickly catch up with yoga in the US.  I'm really glad you are enjoying it so much.  A caution about tai chi on video though - it's very hard to learn correctly, it's hard to keep motivated without a class to participate in and you quickly get bored doing one Yang 24 routine over and over.   I've been doing the kung fu internal arts (tai chi, pa kua, weapons etc..) for 2 years now and a well run class is the way to go.  I will test into 3rd brown sash in a few months and then 1st black sash by the end of the year or early next.  The school has been what's kept me in for so long.  The variety, the challenge of testing, the comraderie.  It's been the best exercise program I've ever done and I've met so many wonderful people.  The benefit of learning with a martial arts instructor, is that you learn tai chi and the other internal forms as a martial art not just as an exercise program.  I used to think it was just a pretty Chinese ballet type dance form but it is a serious martial art.  The Yang forms are slow (but oh so hard to master at the correct speed with proper balance),  but when you get into the Chen forms, the different animal pa kua forms and weapons they are fast and use explosive power (hua ching) for very hard hits and strikes.  An instructor will also teach you proper breathing and meditation techniques to use, which really make a difference in your ability to concentrate and increase your power.  Good luck with this, and please feel free to PM me with any questions.
Thanks Tina. I'm investigating the posibilities of a group near my home, but so far, nothing.  :(

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, Great Lent is upon us again, so I guess I need to dust off and start rereading my copy of Lord of the Rings.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Have you ever read any of the "History of Middle Earth" volumes?  or "The Silmarillion", and "The Children of Hurin" came out a few months ago, too.

Ebor

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ebor said:
Have you ever read any of the "History of Middle Earth" volumes?  or "The Silmarillion", and "The Children of Hurin" came out a few months ago, too.

Ebor
I've read the Silmarillion a few times.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
As Great Lent is now around the corner, my books to (re)read are the following:

1)  The Way of the Pilgrim
2)  Confessions of St. Augustine
3)  Great Lent by Fr. Schmemann

If anyone has other Lenten favorites and meditations, please post them here.  Thanks.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I'm going to try to finish "Christ, the Eternal Tao" (which is looking very promising so far), then I'll try to finish "My Life in Christ" and hopefully start "Light from the East: Theology, Science and the Eastern Orthodox Tradition".

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
As Great Lent is now around the corner, my books to (re)read are the following:

1)  The Way of the Pilgrim
2)  Confessions of St. Augustine
3)  Great Lent by Fr. Schmemann

If anyone has other Lenten favorites and meditations, please post them here.  Thanks.
Ladder of Divine Ascent St. John Klimacos
The Path of Salvation St. Theopan the Recluse

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
Found an extremely interesting book online, titled "The [life and] Activities of the Metropolitan Petro Mohyla" (unfortunately for most of you guys, in Ukrainian - http://www.apologet.kiev.ua/content/view/70/35/), by a historian and Orthodox priest, Protopresbyter Fr. Dmytro Sadovyak. It's my spring break, so I took time savoring it.

I am fascinated by Mohyla's personality. He was, of course, a true product of his age - extremely ambitious, often ruthless... Yet, it is amazing how much he has achieved, given that he lived only 50 years (1596-1647).

Mohyla was born and lived all his life with more than just a silver spoon in his mouth. He was a son of the ruling prince ("Hospodar") of Moldova. Being still very young, he also became the brother-in-law of the powerful prince Jeremiah (Yarema) Vishnevetsky of Romny (east-central Ukraine). Having chosen a monastic path, Mohyla was made the archimandrite of the most wealthy Kyiv-Pechers'k Lavra monastery when he was not yet 31. He became Metropolitan of Kyiv and the Exarch of the Eucumenical Patriarch Cyril (Lukaris) at the age of 36.

Educated in Western Europe, Latin was his "other first" language, together with his "first first" language, which was old Ukrainian ("mova Rus'ka"). Writing, speaking, acting very much like a Polish nobleman-"shlyakhtych" of his time, and yet being Orthodox to the bone, always seeking compromise with the Polish king and princes for the sake of peace and prosperity of Orthodoxy, Mohyla wrote and published books, opened new schools and academies, appointed hierarchs, and vigorously re-organized parishes. During his tenure, hundreds of parishes and dozens of "protopopias" all over Ukraine were rid of illiterate and morally un-befitting priests and deacons (all of whom, according to Mohyla's personal orders, retained their pay for life if they collaborated in the search of their more educated and fitting replacement).

As it often happens, being a strong, somewhat dominant personality, Mohyla, unfortunately, had many enemies, including (most unfortunately) a wonderful man, his predecessor on the throne of the Metropolitan of Kyiv, Vlad. Isaiah Kopyns'kyj; Bishop Ian Popel'; prince Alexander Sangushko; the mayor of Kyiv Tyshkevych, and others. At times, he had sharp collisions with clergy, monks, and with the Kossaks who (again, very unfortunately) regarded him as a foreigner, "Westerner," "Latin" and even an undercover Catholic.

To this day, the true legacy of this most extraordinary man remains controversial and perhaps often misunderstood. No doubt, though, that he was a big blessing for Ukraine and for Holy Orthodoxy.

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I'm reading a young adult sci-fi novel: Alas, Babylon.  I originally read it in 9th grade I've spent years searching for it without knowing the title or author and *finally* found it by accident.  Yay.  It's not as gripping as I remember, though.  :( 

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
Just started:
Dimitry - Tsar and Great Prince of All Russia 1605-1606 by Philip Barbour
(Alternate title: Dimitry called the Pretender)

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I finally got my hands on a copy of Christ the Eternal Tao but have had little time to read it since I've been taking care of a 5 month old with an ear infection.