What is everyone reading?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Been slowly working on A Noble Task: Entry into the Clergy in the First Five Centuries
by Lewis J. Patsavos (Translated by Norman Russell)

My Canon Law professor's doctoral dissertation for the University of Athens (hence why it needed to be translated).

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
For a bit of lighter reading Installing Linux on a Dead Badger by Lucy Snyder  geek humour with a bit of the macabre (employing zombies as tech support for example)

Ebor

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Started two new books recently. One is Jesus: A Life by A.N. Wilson. It's hardly orthodox, but it is at least an engaging read (which sort of reminds me of his biography on Paul). The second book is Scripture and Tradition by Archbp. Chrysostomos and Bp. Auxentios. Of the Orthodox books on this subject that I've read, I remember this one being the most helpful, so I figured I'd buy it and read it again. Luckily I snatched it up for $5, as the only other copy now on Amazon is $153.97!

MaryCecilia

Reaction score
Website
manytwistsandturns.blogspot.com
Currently i'm finishing up reading Star Trek TNG Crossover by Michael Jan Friedman. It's alright as far as Star Trek books go. Late in May i read "7th Heaven" by James Patterson which i thought was pretty good... i have been enjoying reading murder mysteries and sci fi/star trek books lately.

mary

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Still into light reading at the moment. Just finished "Ragamuffin Gospel" and thought it a little on the unbalanced side, but a pleasant read all the same. And I've just about finished three of Paul Doherty's books about political intrigue and murder in Ancient Rome set just after St Constantine has become emperor of the west.

Murder Imperial 
The Song of the Gladiator 
The Queen of the Night 

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
Just finished "Ragamuffin Gospel"
You might like his Abba's Child.  I say might because it's been 4 years since I've read it so I don't remember much about it.  I seem to recall that I did enjoy it at the time though.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Thanks, Gabriel. I'll have a look at that. I did like the Ragamuffin, but it seemed just a little unbalanced; though I understood his need to get the point across that God is unconditional in His love and we should be, too. It was a nice read.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I'm finally starting to get some Orthodox books to read! ;D I've been reading The Orthodox Way by Met. Kallistos over the past few days (also reread this critique of it), and just today I got The Sayings of the Desert Fathers in the mail.

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
GabrieltheCelt said:
My favorite Steinbeck work is Cannery Row.  His characters are described so richly and descriptively that it's easy to 'see' them.  He understands the human condition very well and I think most people can identify with at least parts of his characters or at least his narrative.   
Hear, hear! And also "Sweet Thursday"!

Carpatho Russian

Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Heorhij said:
I just finished Vladimir Lossky's "Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church" (in Russian, http://www.wco.ru/biblio/books/lossk1/Main.htm).
I started reading Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church (in English) this weekend.
I'm about halfway through William Rosen's Justinian's Flea.  And for fun, I'm reading Noah Charney's The Art Thief.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Heorhij said:
Hear, hear! And also "Sweet Thursday"!
Can you believe that I've never read Sweet Thursday?  And here I call myself a Steinbeck fan!  Really, though, I've read a great many of his fictional work and he's honestly, thus far, my favorite American author.  As for foreign authors, well, I'm no xenophobe, but I don't know whom to begin with.  I've read The Brothers K and liked it, but I'm having a rough time with Crime and Punishment.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I've read The Brothers K and liked it, but I'm having a rough time with Crime and Punishment.
For me it was the opposite... to each his own, I suppose :)

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
GabrieltheCelt said:
Can you believe that I've never read Sweet Thursday?  And here I call myself a Steinbeck fan!  Really, though, I've read a great many of his fictional work and he's honestly, thus far, my favorite American author.  As for foreign authors, well, I'm no xenophobe, but I don't know whom to begin with.  I've read The Brothers K and liked it, but I'm having a rough time with Crime and Punishment.
"Sweet Thursday" is a sequel to "Cannery Row." Very much the same style, and many heroes are the same. Incredible sense of humor, humility, lightness...

_Seraphim_

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxmysteries.com
Let us begin to really belong to the Orthodox Church of Christ.  Our ‘membership’ is not enough.  Something must move within us that makes us different from the world around us… even if that world calls itself ‘Christian’ or even ‘Orthodox.’  Let us keep and nourish those qualities of the true Orthodox worldview – a living, normal attitude; loving and forgiving; not self-centered; preserving our innocence and un-worldliness; even with a full and humble awareness of our own sinfulness and the power of the worldly temptations which surround us.  If we truly live this Orthodox worldview our faith will survive the shocks ahead of us and be a source of inspiration and salvation for those who will still be seeking Christ even amidst the shipwreck of humanity which has already begun today.
-Seraphim Rose, Living the Orthodox Worldview, August 8, 1982

Veniamin

Archon
Reaction score
I just wrapped up Kushiel's Scion, by Jacqueline Carey, and have moved on to its sequel, Kushiel's Justice.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The Well-Crafted Argument  the text book for the ENG102 class that I *have* to take as they've changed the rules since I was young and now everyone has to have a class in what we used to call "Freshman Comp."  The present chapter is on "Toulmin Analysis" of arguments.

also today I read some Usagi Yojimbo  ;)