What is everyone reading?

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Fear the Borg!  ;)  Seriously though, I remember reading a few books by him before I became Orthodox... something like "Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time" and something else. I disagreed with him, even then, but I thought his heart was in the right place. *shrugs*
Yes, I remember having the same impression of sincerity from him. I really do believe he is sincere. I think his research into historical/critical biblical scholarship messed him up pretty bad, and he is reaching for a way to hold it all together, to somehow save Christianity from what damage has been irreparably done through modern scholarship. I was sympathetic to his positions as I encountered them, and for a time even bought into some of them. Then Orthodoxy found me, and now I just feel sorry for him. Maybe I should read some of his books and then try to write him a letter potentially exposing him to Orthodoxy. Do you think that is a totally ridiculous idea?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea, though I suppose different people have different levels of how happy they'd be in being engaged in that way. He struck me as an affable sort of fellow, though, so I'd say, why not? What's the worst that can happen?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
God's Many-Splendored Image: Theological Anthropology for Christian Formation

http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Many-Splendored-Image-Theological-Anthropology/dp/080103471X

Scripture in Tradition: The Bible and Its Interpretation in the Orthodox Church

http://www.amazon.com/Scripture-Tradition-Interpretation-Orthodox-Church/dp/0881412260

And all the stuff I am forever reading over and over.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
theistgal said:
The official racing program at Turf Paradise in Phoenix, AZ ("Every Day's a Winner!").
:) Have fun!

I'm reading "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" by Agatha Christie. 

synLeszka

High Elder
Reaction score
Considerations sur la France Joseph de Maistre...
Call me fascist, haha

jnorm888

Archon
Reaction score
Website
ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Sounds interesting:

As if all of this weren't enough, Leithart saves the best for last. He argues brilliantly that what Constantine actually did was to "desacrifice" Rome in order to establish it upon the true sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Constantine enacted a "baptism" out of the world of Rome, and so he eliminated the competing Roman sacrifices: those associated with senatorial decisions, military victories, and the emperor. Instead, it was the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that became the founding sacrifice of the new city, the eschatological city. As with our individual baptisms, the consistent and holy implications of this baptism of the Empire would have to be worked out, imperfectly, in history.

"Through Constantine, Rome was baptized into a world without animal sacrifice and officially recognized the true sacrificial city, the one community that does offer a foretaste of the final kingdom."

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Has anyone read this book? I am thinking about ordering it on amazon.com
The Last Superstition: A Refutation of the New Atheism -Edward Feser

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
For the season, rereading St. Athanasius' De Incarnatione Verbi Dei and Fr. Thomas Hopko's Winter Pascha.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Just finished The Crusades by Thomas Asbridge.

Ebenezer

Reaction score
The Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

Fatal Purity: Robespierre and the French Revolution by Ruth Scurr.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Voodoo Histories: The Role of the Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History
http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Histories-Conspiracy-Shaping-History/dp/1594488959/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292567145&sr=8-1

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Just finished Daniel Hannan's The New Road to Serfdom: A Letter of Warning to America.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Existence of God (Second Edition), by Richard Swinburne

Fairly dry so far, but I'm not that far into it, so maybe things'll pick up...  8)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Little Big Men: Bodybuilding Subculture and Gender Construction, by Alan M. Klein

A geeky anthropologist studying hardcore bodybuilders up close, and then sharing all their deepest, darkest secrets (with a healthy dose of psychoanalysis thrown in)... what could possibly go wrong?  :p

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Ebenezer said:
The Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.
My favorite book by Dickens. Then again, it's the only book that I like by him. Anyway...  8)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I'm looking forward to this one, which just came out:

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=1557258740

"The Sign of the Cross: the Gesture, the Mystery, the History," by Andreas Andreopoulos

It's published by Paraclete Press. I think I'll be getting a copy.  :)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Teachings of the Church Fathers, compiled by John R. Willis, S.J.

A collection of patristic quotes on various subjects, from the sacraments to the gospels to the bible, church and tradition. I skimmed through it and read a good bit of it last year, but wanted to revisit certain of the passages.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Pumping Iron: The Art and Sport of Bodybuilding, by Charles Gains and George Butler

I've been a long time fan of the movie, so I figured it was about time I read the book. It's a quite interesting look into the subculture as it existed in the early 70's, especially when considering how much things have changed (and have now even begun to swing back the other direction again, IMO).

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The Devil's Delusion - Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions, by David Berlinski

Really enjoying this one.