What is everyone reading?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All Cloudless Glory, a two-volume biography of George Washington.  Well written and quite engaging, I loved the story the first time I read them about 12-14 years ago.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
"The Well and the Shadows" - G.K. Chersteron. Any fans of Chesterton here?

"Mary and the Fathers of the Church"

"Summa Contra Gentiles" - Thomas Aquinas

Hopefully my next big read will be Aquinas' Commentary on Aristotle's Metaphysics.

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Chesterton fan here! Here in Massachusetts you can, in lieu of political party, put down your political views on your voter registration. Instead of Democratic or Republican, I planned to put down "Distributist."  :)

-

I'm currently reading A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin, Religious Vocation: An Unnecessary Mystery, The Lord of the Rings (my annual ritual, much delayed), and The Poems of the Pearl Manuscript.

After I polish off a couple of the above, I plan to begin Brideshead Revisited.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Chesterton fan here as well, though I've only read 4 of his books. I'd say in addition to that, though, that my favorite biography that I've read is about him as well (which contained various bits of his writings like his poetry).

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Still in a fantasy mood. Just read;

The Game, Castle in the Air, House of Many Ways, by Diana Wynne Jones.

Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein,

Interview with the Vampire, by Anne Rice,

Re-reading at present, Dracula, by Bram Stoker.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The text for this semester's class which is PoliSci on Comparative Governments.  Last week was on the Russian governmental structure. This week is Hungary.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I've enjoyed some of Chesterton's more erm peculiar fiction such as The Man Who Was Thursday and The Napoleon of Notting Hill and short stories like the "Father Brown" ones, The Paradoxes of Mr. Pond and The Club of Queer Trades among others.  Then there is some of his poetry.

I read Brideshead Revisited for the first time recently.  I don't see how it is such a superior work as some say that it is, though.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
All three books borrowed from the parish library...

A Commentary on the Divine Liturgy, by St. Nicholas Cabasilas. My second time reading this one, and I'm glad I reread it. This has 53 "chapters" in it, and would be a good one to read once a week and reflect on on Sundays. There are some interesting liturgical issues in it as well, such as St. Nicholas mentioning how they kneel on Sunday, how they take the eucharist in their hands, etc. Overall a very good little book to read about the liturgy, and theology generally.

The Philokalia: Volume One, ed. by Palmer, Sherrard, Met. Kallistos. Also my 2nd time reading this one. I guess it needs no introduction. I was reading Way of a Pilgrim and he kept mentioning the book, so I had to get it again. My favorite work in it is probably On Those Who Think That They Are Made Righteous By Works by St. Mark the Ascetic.

Saint Gregory of Nazianzus: An Intellectual Biography, by Fr. John McGuckin. Again, maintaining the theme, this is the 2nd time I'm reading this book. This was one of my favorite books after my first read through, so I expect that I'll enjoy it this time around as well. He does get a bit too much into the psychoanalysis for my taste, but overall I find the book to be very enjoyable and engaging. Then again, I love Gregory the Theologian, so that's maybe to be expected.

A couple lengthy/complex books this time, that should do me for at least a couple weeks. Let's hope, anyway!

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
lubeltri said:
Chesterton fan here! Here in Massachusetts you can, in lieu of political party, put down your political views on your voter registration. Instead of Democratic or Republican, I planned to put down "Distributist."  :)

The Lord of the Rings (my annual ritual, much delayed),

After I polish off a couple of the above, I plan to begin Brideshead Revisited.
I want to be a distributist as well!!! LOL.
As for The Lord of the Rings, It is my annual ritual along with the bible. LOL

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.
Really good book.

Right now I'm reading Elder Arsenios the Cave-Dweller - Fellow Ascetic of Elder Joseph the Hesychast. I've also recently finished reading Elder Paisios' Athonite Fathers and Athonite Matters which I have to say now ranks with one of my favorite books. If anyone hasn't read it, I highly suggest you do.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
More of the text for class. This week it was the governmental structure of Hungary. Tomorrow we start on China. 

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
Current reading:
Byzantium - Greatness and Decline, Charles Diehl. Rutgers Byzantine Series.

Also: Henry David Thoreau, "On the Duty of Civil Disobedience".

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I've read The Non-Chalcedonian Heretics: A Contribution to the Dialogue Concerning the "Orthodoxy" of the Non-Chalcedonians a few times now, though I'm still not sure that I understand every charge that they are making. Most of the charges can be summed up in this paragraph on p. 17-18 though: "Severos distinguishes between essence and nature, equates nature with hypostasis, understands the hypostatic union differently from the Holy Fathers, distinguishes between hypostasis and person, ascribes will and energy to the person and not to the nature, and finally, does not have an Orthodox understanding of how the assumed Humanity of Christ is Deified." There is also an attempt to link the non-chalcedonian position with iconoclasm, that Severos is a monoenergist, to say that the Oriental Orthodox do not follow St. Cyril fully, that the Theopaschite addition to the Trisagion was a bad innovation, and so forth.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of depth to the study, presumably because of lack of materials to be used and examined by them from the Oriental Orthodox side. Generally the charges against Severos are based on one (or perhaps two) quotes alone. These quotes are then compared with one or two quotes from Orthodox Fathers, almost always at least one by St. John of Damascus. The booklet is a very interesting read, but remains largely unconvincing, because it needs to be fleshed out more. It's definitely recommended if you're wondering what christological objections orthodox traditionalists have against the talks with Oriental Orthodox Christians.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
This week, I'm reading about the governmental structure of Egypt and I started Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

edited to correct the book title

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
I'm reading "Tolkien and the Great War" by John Garth. 

Ebor said:
I started Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
I've started that book twice now and can't really get into it.  It's a shame because it appears to be right up my alley. :(

Marc Hanna

Elder
Reaction score
The Council of Chalcedon and the Armenian Church - Korekin I
On Wealth and Poverty - St. John Chrysostom
On The Unity of Christ - St Cyril of Alexandria
Η ΚΑΙΝΗ ΔΙΑΘΗΚΗ - O Θεος και οι αποστολοι
The Ante-Nicene Fathers - various