Elder
Reaction score
Luck of the devil:the story of operation valkyrie

Niccolo's Smile: A biography of Niccolo Machiavelli

A Mighty Fortress: A New history of the German people

Testimony (by the French President).

Facing Athens

plus a whole list to get to

Does anyone else have a problem with picking up new books when they have quite a few they have yet to finish and are halfway through? I always do that. No amount of telling myself "wait until you've finished the other one" seems to help, and I find it harder to remember what I'm reading when i do it this way too.

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I recently read "The Orthodox Church" (Ware) and just finished "The Orthodox Way" (Kallistos). The two best intro books, so I've heard.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Pilgrim said:

Facing Athens

Does anyone else have a problem with picking up new books when they have quite a few they have yet to finish and are halfway through? I always do that. No amount of telling myself "wait until you've finished the other one" seems to help, and I find it harder to remember what I'm reading when i do it this way too.
I have the same problem as well. I also have two other major problems with my reading habits:

1. I avoid fiction to a fault. I feel that somehow I'm wasting time if I'm reading fiction. Even with the classics, I still feel inclined to read nonfiction. I realize this is not healthy, but I just can't break out of this mindset. This is why I'm gonna try to read another Dostoevsky novel soon.

2. I am a slow reader because I am always underlining and making notes in the margins. I could never remember all that I read, so I make copious notes in my books so I can refer back to them when I need to do so. This slows me down a lot.

Selam

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Orthodox Prayer Life: The Interior Way by Matthew the Poor
published by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press

after that, I hope to move on to reading:

The Spiritual Life and How to Be Attuned To It by St. Theophan the Recluse

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Celtic Myths and Legends by Peter Berresford Ellis.  It contains 6 or so stories from each of the various Celtic traditions of the British Isles as retold by Mr. Ellis, who does a superb job in both retelling the stories and naming his sources.  I only have time to read one story or so a night before bed, but it's well worth it.  This has sat on my shelf for a very long time without being read.  It's now getting the reading it deserves.

Pilgrim

Elder
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Pilgrim said:

Facing Athens

I have the same problem as well. I also have two other major problems with my reading habits:

1. I avoid fiction to a fault. I feel that somehow I'm wasting time if I'm reading fiction. Even with the classics, I still feel inclined to read nonfiction. I realize this is not healthy, but I just can't break out of this mindset. This is why I'm gonna try to read another Dostoevsky novel soon.

2. I am a slow reader because I am always underlining and making notes in the margins. I could never remember all that I read, so I make copious notes in my books so I can refer back to them when I need to do so. This slows me down a lot.

Selam
That happens to me as well. I always find it hard to retain what i read (which explains my biology grades :p). and I

EmperorConstantine

Reaction score
Presently finishing, "Shepherd of Souls" about Elder Cleopa of Sihastria.

After that, probably "Notes from Underground" by Dostoyevsky.

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I'm very slowly working on Life of Pi by Yann Martel.  It's a fantastic, engaging read but it's hard to get through even a page or two with a toddler running around.

Catherine

Elder
Reaction score
Orthodox Dogmatic Theology by Protopresbetyr Michael Pomazansky

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Partakers of Divine Nature, by Archimandrite Fr. Christoforos Stavropoulos (transl. by Fr. Stanley Harakas).

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
EofK said:
I'm very slowly working on Life of Pi by Yann Martel.  It's a fantastic, engaging read but it's hard to get through even a page or two with a toddler running around.
Have you reached the part with the rabbi, priest, and imam? ;D

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Just read "The Way" by Carlton, and am now reading "The Faith" by the same author.

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
EofK said:
Have you reached the part with the rabbi, priest, and imam? ;D
I'm just now getting to that chapter!  Sounds like the set up to a joke. :)

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I'm reading "Beyond the Grave: An Orthodox Theology of Eschatology" by Constantine Callinicos. So far it seems to be a very interesting read.

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Finished Life of Pi and am currently working on Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank.  Somehow I missed reading this in elementary school.

Douglas

High Elder
Reaction score
I'm now reading: Man of God; the story of St John of Shanghai and San Francisco.