What is everyone reading?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I just finished Nick Saban's book How Good Do You Want To Be?

Nick Saban is the head football coach at the University of Alabama. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Nick Saban's book articulates philosophies and principles that are applicable to all walks of life and all professions.

One of his main points is focusing on the process rather than the result. He says that we cannot control the outcome, but we can control our effort, our attitude, our work ethic, and our mentality. The daily details that may seem insignificant are actually the things that determine the results and the outcome. Being faithful in marriage, being honest in the workplace, doing our best with what God has given us- these are the things that separate champions from the rest.

Regardless of whether or not you are an Alabama fan, this book will benefit you. I Promise!

Selam

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Making  money by T. Pratchett, I'm taking an advantage of the fact that I've got three weeks of holidays left and I can spent some time on reading before I go to a University and I start to study.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Bono Vox said:
"Compassion: A Reflection on the Christian Life" by Fr. Henri Nouwen

Although this is book was written by Roman Catholic priests, it is very good. I would highly recommend it to everyone.
A good friend has recommended his works to me.

Catherine

Elder
Reaction score
Papist said:
Bono Vox said:
"Compassion: A Reflection on the Christian Life" by Fr. Henri Nouwen

Although this is book was written by Roman Catholic priests, it is very good. I would highly recommend it to everyone.
A good friend has recommended his works to me.
This sounds like a good read; it is definitely on my "must read" list.

Pilgrim

Elder
Reaction score
Shakedown: How our Government Is Undermining Democracy in the Name of Human Right by Ezra Levant. A look into the corruption and abuse by the kangaroo courts we call Human Rights Commissions. A book every Canadian must read. Did you know that the CHRC regularely poses as neo-Nazis on the internet, releasing private info from court cases? They have the power to take info from what should be classified info on criminals at police departments without judicial permission. On at least one proven occasion (by their own admission), they even hacked into a PRIVATE CITIZEN's computer, without warrent, using it to enter neo-nazi websites. This is unacceptable. We are long overdue for revolt in this country, and the time is now!

Liz

High Elder
Reaction score
mersch said:
The Apostolic Fathers, based on the text of the Loeb classical Library  (online edition)
There are online Loebs? That's great - how do you access them?

Thanks,

Liz.

(I am reading up on the battle of Heliopolis, and trying to nerve myself up to do some more serious study of Mary in the visual arts)

mersch

Elder
Reaction score
Liz said:
mersch said:
The Apostolic Fathers, based on the text of the Loeb classical Library  (online edition)
There are online Loebs? That's great - how do you access them?

Thanks,

Liz.

(I am reading up on the battle of Heliopolis, and trying to nerve myself up to do some more serious study of Mary in the visual arts)
Found it at Christian Classics Ethereal Library    site is www.ccel.org          I have spent a lot of time reading various articles and other stuff here at this site.  I don't know if they have all the Loebs online at this site or not, but the one I'm currently reading is here.

rwprof

Elder
Reaction score
Well, since buycotts are all the rage and there are all of these nuts boycotting Orson Scott Card, I picked up a copy of Ender's Game, which I haven't read since it came out (I also picked up a couple of novels by another author recommended to me, David Weber).

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I'm reading Carlton's "The Faith" for a 2nd time.  This book is one of the most clear, interesting, and impactful catechisms written towards the western mind I've ever encountered.

Pilgrim

Elder
Reaction score
That sounds interesting to say the least. What does he say about future immortality?

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
Pilgrim said:
That sounds interesting to say the least. What does he say about future immortality?
Not too far into it yet, but mostly focuses on immortality of the consciousness (also calls it our soul).  Advances in parallel computing could allow our consciousness to be free of the limitations of our organic brains, ushering in not only an age of exponentially increasing intelligence, creativity and memory retention but also a non-DNA-based immortality of humanity.  It is definitely interesting in light of Prof. Stephen Hawking's Life in the Universe lecture which discusses the possibility of mechanical lifeforms replacing DNA-based life.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Gilgamesh and The Iliad for a class.  Next week it's The Odyssey

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
Pilgrim said:
Not too far into it yet, but mostly focuses on immortality of the consciousness (also calls it our soul).  Advances in parallel computing could allow our consciousness to be free of the limitations of our organic brains, ushering in not only an age of exponentially increasing intelligence, creativity and memory retention but also a non-DNA-based immortality of humanity.  It is definitely interesting in light of Prof. Stephen Hawking's Life in the Universe lecture which discusses the possibility of mechanical lifeforms replacing DNA-based life.
This sounds absolutely frightening.  I hope I'm pushing up the daisy's when/if this ever comes about.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Paternal Counsels, Volume 1 by Father Philotheos Zervakos

Touching Heaven:  Discovering Orthodox Christianity on the Island of Valaam by John Oliver