What is everyone reading?

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
8,785
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
35
Location
Springfield, MO
Nebelpfade said:
Pilgrim said:
That sounds interesting to say the least. What does he say about future immortality?
Not too far into it yet, but mostly focuses on immortality of the consciousness (also calls it our soul).  Advances in parallel computing could allow our consciousness to be free of the limitations of our organic brains, ushering in not only an age of exponentially increasing intelligence, creativity and memory retention but also a non-DNA-based immortality of humanity.  It is definitely interesting in light of Prof. Stephen Hawking's Life in the Universe lecture which discusses the possibility of mechanical lifeforms replacing DNA-based life.
Nothing but Gnosticism; it won't work. The human brain and mind are not two separate things, and they cannot be divided. Besides, I've lost too many important files to computer crashes to trust my soul to Bill Gates.

That said, the Trekkie in me is desperately looking for a real-life Dr. Soong.
 

EofK

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
3,976
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
Location
Springfield, MO
Just finished The Diary of Anne Frank and Bill Bryson's Made in America.  I'm thinking of rereading Stephen King's Dark Tower series next, or perhaps check something new off of the classics list.
 
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
398
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Democracy: The God that Failed: The Economics and Politics of Monarchy, Democracy, and Natural Order  by Hans-Hermann-Hoppe

A Lion Among Men is the third novel in Gregory Maguire's The Wicked Years Series about OZ

It's Superman! by Tom DeHaven (Just finished)
 

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
4,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Nothing but Gnosticism; it won't work. The human brain and mind are not two separate things, and they cannot be divided. Besides, I've lost too many important files to computer crashes to trust my soul to Bill Gates.

That said, the Trekkie in me is desperately looking for a real-life Dr. Soong.
I have to disagree.  The brain is just a squishy, slow parallel system shooting around its own version of 1s and 0s.  :p  It has served us well, but it needs an upgrade.  Just think, we can punish criminals by uploading them into a Windows system, or a Mac, I'm not exactly sure which would be worse.  ;D

I hope, in an homage to classic sci-fi, they will at least call any synthetic brain created, a positronic brain.  :)
 

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
8,785
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
35
Location
Springfield, MO
Nebelpfade said:
I hope, in an homage to classic sci-fi, they will at least call any synthetic brain created, a positronic brain.  :)
Doubt it. We didn't get the "communicator" but the "cellular phone"; we didn't get the "hypo spray" but the "dermal injection"; we didn't get the "dilithium nacelle" but the "antimatter rocket." So we'll probably have synthetic lifeforms, but the name will unfortunately not cater to sci-fi (note the correct spelling, Universal) fans.
 

Marat

Elder
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
383
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
53
Location
Austin, TX
I feel a little silly for asking this, since everyone seems to read higher quality books than this, but here goes nothing.

Has anyone read the "Sookie Stackhouse" books by Charlaine Harris? This is the series on which the show True Blood is based. I'm a fan of the show and I'm thinking about getting the books. I am particularly interested in reviews from anyone who has read them and watched the show. Books are always better, so I am anticipating this, but I understand there are some significant differences between the books and the show. I'm wondering how they compare.
 

Schultz

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2002
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
45
Location
BaltiCORE, MD
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Marat said:
I feel a little silly for asking this, since everyone seems to read higher quality books than this, but here goes nothing.

Has anyone read the "Sookie Stackhouse" books by Charlaine Harris? This is the series on which the show True Blood is based. I'm a fan of the show and I'm thinking about getting the books. I am particularly interested in reviews from anyone who has read them and watched the show. Books are always better, so I am anticipating this, but I understand there are some significant differences between the books and the show. I'm wondering how they compare.
I haven't read them but my wife has.  She loves both the books and the television series.  She is normally a slow reader but she devours the novels in just a couple of days reading before we go to sleep. 
 

basilthefool

Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
61
I just finished: A Guide to Orthodox Psychotherapy: The Science, Theology, and Spiritual Practice Behind It and Its Clinical Applications by Archbishop Chrysostomos. At the moment I'm starting Orthodox Psychotherapy by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos.

In addition, I'm slowly reading volume one of the Evergetinos, the Spiritual Psalter of St Ephraim the Syrian (OK, this is more of a regular spiritual discipline for me since I first read it last year - now on my third go), and Out of Our Heads: Why You Are Not Your Brain, and Other Lessons from the Biology of Consciousness by Alva Noe (really just starting this one; received it as a gift!).

There are a couple of other books I'm considering to start on as well - I'm one of those people who seem to need to be reading several books at once, an unrecovered addiction from school days.
 

Marat

Elder
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
383
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
53
Location
Austin, TX
Schultz said:
Marat said:
I feel a little silly for asking this, since everyone seems to read higher quality books than this, but here goes nothing.

Has anyone read the "Sookie Stackhouse" books by Charlaine Harris? This is the series on which the show True Blood is based. I'm a fan of the show and I'm thinking about getting the books. I am particularly interested in reviews from anyone who has read them and watched the show. Books are always better, so I am anticipating this, but I understand there are some significant differences between the books and the show. I'm wondering how they compare.
I haven't read them but my wife has.  She loves both the books and the television series.  She is normally a slow reader but she devours the novels in just a couple of days reading before we go to sleep. 
Thanks for responding. I'm glad to hear someone who loves the show enjoys the books so much. Reading them right before bed could lead to some unusual dreams.  :D I think I'm going to have to get them. Now that the season is over, I need some way to get my fix.
 

Marat

Elder
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
383
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
53
Location
Austin, TX
Schultz said:
Your local library should have them, so go try out the first one and you won't be out $6 or so if you find out you don't like them :)
I was going to but they don't have the very first one. It's been stolen or something. The same thing happened at the university library too.
 

StGeorge

High Elder
Joined
Mar 18, 2005
Messages
715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Location
Pennsylvania, USA
I just finished St. Athanasios' On the Incarnation.  I've been reading some modern poetry from anthologies I used during my undergrad days.  Marianne Moore, Gertrude Stein, Hart Crane, etc.  I'm still trudging through Moby Dick.  At about 300 of 600 pages.  It may take me as long as an actual whaling voyage.  I received in the mail and have started reading William Blatty's The Exorcist.  I also received in the mail Jesuit Saints and Martyrs, and I've been reading selections from there. 
 

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 20, 2006
Messages
4,788
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Queensland, Australia
Marat said:
I feel a little silly for asking this, since everyone seems to read higher quality books than this, but here goes nothing.

Has anyone read the "Sookie Stackhouse" books by Charlaine Harris? This is the series on which the show True Blood is based. I'm a fan of the show and I'm thinking about getting the books. I am particularly interested in reviews from anyone who has read them and watched the show. Books are always better, so I am anticipating this, but I understand there are some significant differences between the books and the show. I'm wondering how they compare.
I love the books and consider them far superior to the TV series, which I have also enjoyed watching. The fact is, though, on ocassion I have wondered if the TV series is actually based on the Stackhouse books, at all. ;) Get the books; you won't be disappointed.
 
Top