What is everyone reading?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Who Wrote the New Testament?: The Making of the Christian Myth, by Burton L. Mack. I've just started this book  (I'm about 33 pages in). As one might expect from the sub-title, this book tends towards more non-traditional views, such as dating certain New Testament works into the 2nd century. It was because I began reading this book that I started the thread about dating NT books, as I was curious as to what people here thought. The basic premise of the book seems to be that many of the books of the New Testament were a part of disparite traditions, and that these books were only later harmonized with each other so as to make them seem like they were all saying the same thing.

The Existence of God: From Plato to A.J. Ayer On the Question "Does God Exist?", ed. by John Hick. I read some of this book before, but lost interest in it, so now I'm going to try and start from the beginning and read it again. It's been a few years since I actually read arguments for and against God, so I figured it was time for a refresher, even if this book is a bit old (1964)and some of the argumentation will have changed since it was written.

The Desert A City, by Derwas J. Chitty. I read this back when I first became interested in Orthodoxy about about 8 1/2 years ago, and I think I was still a catechumen at the time. I remember really enjoying the book, so I bought it last Christmas, but I never got around to reading it until now. The book is about Christian monasticism in the 4th-7th centuries.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
I never thought I would say this but I am reading way too much. I don't think my brain can take much more!  Titles for this week. I'm back on a Runciman kick.

The Byzantine Theocracy
by Sir Steven Runciman
The Sicilian Vespers by Sir Steven Runciman
The Great Church in Captivity by Sir Steven Runciman
The Eastern Schism by Sir Steven Runciman
The Economics of the Tax Revolt, ed. Arthur Laffer and Jan Seymour
I love Sir Steven!

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
I've also added volume 3 of John Julius Norwich's Byzantium for some additional information while reading Runicman's various works.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I'm 70 pages into The Brothers Karamazov
What do you think of it so far? I couldn't really get into it, which is kinda odd considering Crime and Punishment and Notes From Underground are two of my favorite fictional works.

StGeorge

High Elder
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
What do you think of it so far? I couldn't really get into it, which is kinda odd considering Crime and Punishment and Notes From Underground are two of my favorite fictional works.
I read Crime and Punishment two summers ago and really liked it.  When I later read Notes from the Underground, I did not enjoy reading it, although I attempted to see its literary value. 

The first chapter or two of The Brothers Karamazov was a bit difficult to get through (all the names and inter-relations), but since mapping the characters out, the past few chapters have been good.  I still have 640 pages to go.   

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
GabrieltheCelt said:
StGeorge said:
Nebelpfade said:
Dr. Richard Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution
So, where are the clowns?
In the universities?  :)
On the streets, in stores, houses, etc. :p

Honestly, it has been pretty good so far.  Witty and arrogant as always.  ;D

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
StGeorge said:
Asteriktos said:
I read Crime and Punishment two summers ago and really liked it.  When I later read Notes from the Underground, I did not enjoy reading it, although I attempted to see its literary value. 

The first chapter or two of The Brothers Karamazov was a bit difficult to get through (all the names and inter-relations), but since mapping the characters out, the past few chapters have been good.  I still have 640 pages to go.   
Great book!

Yeah, once you get the names and characters memorized it becomes very readable.

Selam

StGeorge

High Elder
Reaction score
Papist said:
StGeorge said:
I'm 70 pages into The Brothers Karamazov.  :)
That's about where I am in the book but I'm moving slow becasue I am so busy right now.
I just finished the family meeting with the elder.  Aloysha is pondering the elder's enigmatic prostration before Dimitri. 

Reaction score
Website
www.stgeorgepa.org
I just finished "The Visionary". Quite enthralling Orthodox fiction. Available at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Visionary-Michael-Hallford/dp/0979160065 The author is a priest at the Gre...York Recommended highly. Fr. Stephen Lourie

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
I just finished White Corridor by Christopher Fowler.  If you like odd mystery/detective stories, the author's "Peculiar Crimes Unit Mystery" series are for you.

I'm about 1/4 of the way into The Hangman's Hymn by P.C. Doherty, which is part of the author's "Canterbury Mysteries," telling the stories that Chaucer didn't collect in the latter's magnum opus

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
The One and the Many; A Contemporary Thomistic Metaphysics
                                                        - W. Norris Clarke, S.J.

Reaction score
[quote
"Orthodoxy" by G. K. Chesterton.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/130
[/quote]
One of my all time favorites.
[/quote]

Since not all people who heard about this book have found time to read it could you write in brief what this book is about?