What is everyone reading?

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
stanley123 said:
Papist said:
Preface to Metaphysics
-Jaques Maritain
Do you think that Maritain was a modernist whose views made Vatican II possible?
And just to be clear, I have no problem with the documents of Vaticatn II themselves, but rather with the way in which the directives wre implemented.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Prayers From the East: Traditions of Eastern Christianity, edited by Richard Marsh. From what I can tell, this book consists of prayers that come from Oriental Orthodox sources (Armenian, Coptic, etc.) I've had it since last Christmas, but am just now getting to it.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Asteriktos said:
Prayers From the East: Traditions of Eastern Christianity, edited by Richard Marsh. From what I can tell, this book consists of prayers that come from Oriental Orthodox sources (Armenian, Coptic, etc.) I've had it since last Christmas, but am just now getting to it.
Cool. Sounds great. Please let us know how you like it as your progress. I may want to read it myself.

Selam

Vlad

Elder
Reaction score
On the Prayer of Jesus By St Ignatius Brianchaninov

David Young

Archon
Reaction score
Website
bradleyroadbaptistchurch.org.uk
"Fare well to Anatolia" by Dido Sotiriou (in translation, I confess) pub. Kedros, Athens, 1991. "A tale of paradise lost and of shattered innocence: a tragic fresco of the fall of Hellensim in Asia Minor... a perennial bestseller in Greece since it first appeared in 1962."

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Asteriktos said:
Cool. Sounds great. Please let us know how you like it as your progress. I may want to read it myself.

Selam
I'll give a few excerpts and an overview once I'm finished. :)

As for new books being read, I just got these for Christmas from my Father today, and hopefully I'll be able to dig into them starting tonight after Christmas Eve service (if I can resist the temptation to spend all my time on Dragon Age: Origins!)...

What is This Thing Called Science?, by A.F. Chalmers
The Life in Christ, by St. Nicholas Cabasilas
Byzantine Theology: Historical Trends and Doctrinal Themes, by Fr. John Meyendorff

Τιμόθεος

Reaction score
The Lives of the Pillars of Orthodoxy  Holy Apostles Convent

The Fellowship of The Ring  JRR Tolkien

and assorted bits from:

The Philokalia

Τιμόθεος

Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Τιμόθεος, how is your parish doing?

Alveus,

You remember!  Almost everyone is chipping in, and we had at least one month of not losing money, but our Priest is going to take up part-time secular employment and take a large pay cut.  It will not do for long term, and we will unfortunately have less services in the mean time, but it will keep us afloat.  I believe we will pull through though.  

Thanks everyone for your prayers!

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
As of late, I have been reading Saint Arsenios the Cappadocian by Elder Paisios which I will probably finish tonight. Next, I'm going to read Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence (aka Lawrence of Arabia).

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
An Agnostic's Apology: And Other Essays by Leslie Stephen. I just got done reading the first essay tonight, An Agnostic's Apology. That's probably the fourth or fifth time I've read it. Parts of it are somewhat bland, parts of it are poorly argued, but some parts really shine. And the last few paragraphs sum up quite well how I often feel. I've never read the rest of the essays in this volume, and I'm looking forward to getting to them.