What is everyone reading?

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
Riddikulus said:
It's inaccurate, untruthful and it makes unfounded claims against the author.
But as far as I know, you're making unfounded claims against this book by St. Anthony's.  :-\
Well, fortunately, I know different. ;) And why not take it up with Nebelpfade, too, who claims it's rubbish of the highest order? Isn't he making (as far as you know) unfounded claims against this book by St Anthony's - and asking you to believe him? Why make an issue with me?

soufliotiki

Reaction score
With the start of Cheesefare week I started:

'Father Seraphim Rose, His Life and Works', Hieromonk Damascene.

This will be my Great Lent book ... it is certainly large enough for me to work through his biography and get to his works in time for the more serious end of the Great Fast.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
Nebelpfade said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
How do we know it's rubbish?  I haven't read it and I don't know anyone else who has read it.  Is it rubbish if it poo poo's something we like?  I guess that would explain all the Bible's collecting dust.  :-\
http://www.philokalia.org/PDF/potter.pdf

Believe me, it is rubbish of the highest order.
Interesting.  Thanks for the link.  All I know is that an overwhelming amount of folks I know who read HP and the Twilight series don't go to church, don't believe in church and don't believe in the devil.  Read what you want, but If you lay down with dogs, you get up with flees.  :)
All I know is that all the people I know who read the HP books and the Twilight series do go to Church, do believe in God and church, and do believe in the devil. All of them are committed Christians as is Harry Potter's author. Read what you want, but if you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas. Perhaps we should warn the folks that you know. ;)

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
soufliotiki said:
With the start of Cheesefare week I started:

'Father Seraphim Rose, His Life and Works', Hieromonk Damascene.

This will be my Great Lent book ... it is certainly large enough for me to work through his biography and get to his works in time for the more serious end of the Great Fast.
A wonderful book! There are some dry spots along the way, but the majority of it is absolutely edifying.

Selam

soufliotiki

Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
soufliotiki said:
With the start of Cheesefare week I started: 'Father Seraphim Rose, His Life and Works', Hieromonk Damascene.

A wonderful book! There are some dry spots along the way, but the majority of it is absolutely edifying.
Selam
Thanks Selam, so far I am finding it awesome ... what parts did you find dry? Personally, I am finding the exposition into his early life and thoughts extremally enlightening ... there is an element of regret inside me that my own life has not taken into account so many other people and cultures around me ... having lived in a sheltered and protected culture my knowledge of other people has been limited.

It is only now that I am finding out about God's Creation ... Fr Seraphim's journey shows me into the hearts of people who are foreign to me ... it is almost awakening a desire in me to meet people other than those who I have known for the last 34 years. His progression through philosophy, Hinduism, Buddhism and all the other oriental mystical religions is inspiring! He learnt an entire language (Chinese) so as to understand the culture better!

What was your favourite part of the book (bare in mind I am only up to Chapter 10 and my rule is one chapter a day during my afternoon coffee hour) ... ?

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
Riddikulus said:
But as far as I know, you're making unfounded claims against this book by St. Anthony's.  :-\
Well, fortunately, I know different. ;)
But I don't, so you'll have to forgive me for not accepting your criticism.

Riddikulus said:
And why not take it up with Nebelpfade, too, who claims it's rubbish of the highest order? Isn't he making (as far as you know) unfounded claims against this book by St Anthony's - and asking you to believe him? Why make an issue with me?
Nebelpfade did us a courtesy by providing us with a link to the book so that we could see for ourselves.  Maybe you didn't know about such a link and that's one thing.  But it's obvious that you really enjoy the HP and Twilight books.  Fine by me, seriously.  I get upset if someone attacks my interests as well.  But, all you've done is allude to some mysterious inside knowledge the rest of us don't have by saying, "I know different."  OK, that's cool.  I just wanted you to share it with the rest of us as well.  I don't think that's asking too much.  But I will say this; when it comes to having an intimate knowledge of what is and isn't dangerous to our souls, I listen to everyone but come down on the side of our monastics.  

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
Riddikulus said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
Riddikulus said:
Well, fortunately, I know different. ;)
But I don't, so you'll have to forgive me for not accepting your criticism.

Riddikulus said:
And why not take it up with Nebelpfade, too, who claims it's rubbish of the highest order? Isn't he making (as far as you know) unfounded claims against this book by St Anthony's - and asking you to believe him? Why make an issue with me?
Nebelpfade did us a courtesy by providing us with a link to the book so that we could see for ourselves.  Maybe you didn't know about such a link and that's one thing.  But it's obvious that you really enjoy the HP and Twilight books.  Fine by me, seriously.  I get upset if someone attacks my interests as well.  But, all you've done is allude to some mysterious inside knowledge the rest of us don't have by saying, "I know different."  OK, that's cool.  I just wanted you to share it with the rest of us as well.  I don't think that's asking too much.  But I will say this; when it comes to having an intimate knowledge of what is and isn't dangerous to our souls, I listen to everyone but come down on the side of our monastics.  
I don't have any mysterious inside knowledge at all; merely knowledge of the HP books and knowledge that what the St Anthony's booklet says is rubbish of the highest order. (I had actually forgotten about the link to the booklet) And why would you assume that I'm "upset by anyone attacking my interests"? What have emotions to do with this? What I am commenting on is poor scholarship which amounts to nothing more than puerile rubbish out of ignorance or avoidance of the facts. I'm sure that you realise that there is a big difference between having knowledge of something and disagreeing with it and having no knowledge of something and using monastery status to convince people to agree with a biased position. If you wish to believe that all information provided by monastics is of merit, that is of course your prerogative. But I know piffle when I see it.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
A wonderful book!
I agree. So now you can't say that I never agreed with you on something.  8)
I also agree.  I read this last summer.  The length didn't matter.  The entire thing was really inspiring to read.  A truly holy man.  I ask for his prayers nightly!

soufliotiki

Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
I also agree.  I read this last summer.  The length didn't matter.  The entire thing was really inspiring to read.  A truly holy man.  I ask for his prayers nightly!
I have only progressed through the first ten chapters but the way he thought during his youth reminds me so much of myself ... though, I never explored Buddhism or Taoism etc, I mean I totally relate to his reclusiveness and feeling "apart" from the rest of the world.

Anyway, a great read and a recommendation from me (even though I havent even started it quite yet)

Rafa999

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I believe Harry Potter is Satanic (and can prove it) but that book by St.Anthony's left much to be desired.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
soufliotiki said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
soufliotiki said:
With the start of Cheesefare week I started: 'Father Seraphim Rose, His Life and Works', Hieromonk Damascene.

Selam
Thanks Selam, so far I am finding it awesome ... what parts did you find dry? Personally, I am finding the exposition into his early life and thoughts extremally enlightening ... there is an element of regret inside me that my own life has not taken into account so many other people and cultures around me ... having lived in a sheltered and protected culture my knowledge of other people has been limited.

It is only now that I am finding out about God's Creation ... Fr Seraphim's journey shows me into the hearts of people who are foreign to me ... it is almost awakening a desire in me to meet people other than those who I have known for the last 34 years. His progression through philosophy, Hinduism, Buddhism and all the other oriental mystical religions is inspiring! He learnt an entire language (Chinese) so as to understand the culture better!

What was your favourite part of the book (bare in mind I am only up to Chapter 10 and my rule is one chapter a day during my afternoon coffee hour) ... ?
I guess I shouldn't say that parts of it are "dry." That is disrespectful. Everything in the book has value and is included because of something it has to teach us about Father Rose and his great example. I really loved the first part of the book, because I like reading about people's spiritual journeys and their philosophical development. But I guess I found some of the sections devoted to the peripheral figures in Father Rose's life a bit distracting. I wanted to keep reading about his own experiences and his own views. But it is his biography, and thus it is absolutely necessary to discuss the influential people in his life. I apologize for saying parts of it were dry.

I really like the section on Genesis, Creation, and Early Man. Father Rose was way ahead of his time and very prophetic in his analysis and critique of the philosophy of evolutionary theory (although some others here will probably disagree).

Selam  

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
I really like the section on Genesis, Creation, and Early Man. Father Rose was way ahead of his time and very prophetic in his analysis and critique of the philosophy of evolutionary theory (although some others here will probably disagree).
You think? ;)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said: