What is everyone reading?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Another one from the library...

I requested a couple Orthodox books through interlibrary loan, but they hadn't got here yet...

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Tell me you have read "The Man Who Was Thursday" by Chesterton
I've not read any of Chesterton's fiction. My wife enjoyed the Father Brown stories, but I never got into those.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Achronos said:
I've not read any of Chesterton's fiction. My wife enjoyed the Father Brown stories, but I never got into those.
Do read that story, it is simply outstanding fiction.

I love Heretics, Orthodoxy, Everlasting Man, Charles Dickens, Intro to Book of Job, etc.

http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/books/

That link has all his works avaialble online for you to read. Let me also note that when he writes about people like Thomas Aquinas he goes off in so many different tangents so its not only about who is talking about but so much more. I really liked the Aquinas work at that.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Liturgy of the Hours in East and West / Robert Taft

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Asteriktos said:
Achronos said:
Do read that story, it is simply outstanding fiction.

I love Heretics, Orthodoxy, Everlasting Man, Charles Dickens, Intro to Book of Job, etc.

http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/books/

That link has all his works avaialble online for you to read. Let me also note that when he writes about people like Thomas Aquinas he goes off in so many different tangents so its not only about who is talking about but so much more. I really liked the Aquinas work at that.
Thank you kindly for this link.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
A little piece of edifying Christian fiction, none other than High School Sweethearts.

And by reading, I mean read.

So what was high-school like for Mary and Joseph?

Always wondered?

You need no longer. (Language and some adult themes. Rated for "young teens" or older, 13+)

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8021174/1/High_School_Sweet_Hearts

You're welcome.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
-Gospel of St John
-"Assassination Vacation"
-St Cyril of Alexandria's "On the Unity of Christ"
-Will be starting "Unseen Warfare"

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Severian said:
-Gospel of St John
-"Assassination Vacation"
-St Cyril of Alexandria's "On the Unity of Christ"
-Will be starting "Unseen Warfare"
High School Sweethearts a little daunting at the moment?

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
^Are you referring to my reading of Assassination Vacation? I plan on reading the first 100 pages then just skimming through the rest of it and getting some background info about the historical events described therein.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Severian said:
^Are you referring to my reading of Assassination Vacation? I plan on reading the first 100 pages then just skimming through the rest of it and getting some background info about the historical events described therein.
No, my silly post above yours, but let me know if it is any good as I have a buddy who might love it, if it is. He probably knows everything about the events contained in the text, but he might like if it is a decent read.

Thanks.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Ignatian Way to God, by Alexandre Brou (trans. William J. Young)
Byzantine Theology: Historical Trends and Doctrinal Themes, by Fr. John Meyendorff

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Too many books and not enough time to read. Just picked up Gogol's Dead Souls but will wait until if Dante is a go.

Itching for some Tolstoy. I have been completely biased towards the Russians whom I have an immediate kinship with.

Need to read more of the Old Testament. One day I will read Genesis in one sitting without closing the book and saying this is a load of crap!

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Russian Minstrels, a short history of the skomorokhi. Not a terribly exciting or well-written read but informative enough for my purposes. This book traces the history of the skomorokhi from their murky origins as possible pagan priests to their eventual proscription by Tsar Alexei and their enduring cultural legacy in Russian folklore, music, dance, and theatre.

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Magic Words: The Tale of a Jewish Boy-Interpreter, the World's Most Estimable Magician, a Murderous Harlot, and America's Greatest Indian Chief

Young Jewish immigrant Julius comes of age surrounded by the wild world of 1867 Nebraska. He befriends the mysterious Prophet John, who saves his life when the two are captured by the Ponca Indian tribe. Living as a slave, Julius meets the noble chief Standing Bear and his young daughter,Prairie Flower, with whom he falls in love. Becoming the tribe’s interpreter—its “speaker”—his life seems safe and settled.

But Julius has reckoned without the arrival of his older cousin, Alexander—who, as the Great Herrmann, is the most famous young magician in America. Nor does he suspect the ultimate consequences of Alex’s affair with Lady-Jane Little Feather, a glamorous—and murderous—prostitute destined to become the most scandalous woman on two continents.

Filled with adventure, humor, and colorful characters, Magic Words is a riveting adventure about the nature of prejudice,the horror of genocide, and a courageous young man who straddles two worlds to fight for love and freedom.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
WillE said:
Hello Paul,
I read John 1:12 too, it had witchcraft, demonic activity, things floating in the air... you get the gist but church members and evangelist prevail at the end. I was satisfied with it.

Is this book based on historical events, or is it fiction? It sounds interesting.

Selam

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Couple of short stories by Edgar Allan Poe. They were nice and all but annoyingly short. Just when one gets into proper mood with a cup of coffee on one hand and a pipe on the other the story ends and one has to start yet another story. Also, it seems that I'm subconsciously comparing them to H.P. Lovecraft's stories and compared to them Poe's stories seem lack climax or something. Maybe I'm just missing something or spoiled my literate taste by reading too much bad Fantasy literature.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Alpo said:
Couple of short stories by Edgar Allan Poe. They were nice and all but annoyingly short. Just when one gets into proper mood with a cup of coffee on one hand and a pipe on the other the story ends and one has to start yet another story. Also, it seems that I'm subconsciously comparing them to H.P. Lovecraft's stories and compared to them Poe's stories seem lack climax or something. Maybe I'm just missing something or spoiled my literate taste by reading too much bad Fantasy literature.

Cocain is a short high.

Selam

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Alpo said:
My mistake! I was confusing Poe with Freud. Deepest apologies for falsely maligning the poor man in such a way. Poe battled alcoholism, but not narcotics.

Selam
It's always bothered me when people lump coke in with narcotics. I can state unequivocally that coke doesn't make one sleepy. Well, I did fall asleep while having to put up with some step on nonsense now and then, but you get my point.

So please apologize to poor cocaine for maligning it.

And to Freud as well for implying he had a cocaine problem. Now his morphine addled friend, Freud gave him a terrible cocaine problem and a strong argument can be made he killed him due the general ignorance about the drug at the time.

But this was the advent of cocaine's reputation as a wonder drug.

And really they were using some low level solutions.

Pan Michał

Elder
Reaction score
It's been a year since I've read this one, but still think about it.

I recommend it, especially while listening some "melancholic" music (like the one from "The Thin Red Line") which gives it even more mood in a twisted way, it's brilliant, but I warn you that some things cannot be "un-read". Very, very dark book.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Cicero, De Amicitia sive Laelius
H.H. Scullard, From the Gracchi to Nero

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
orthonorm said:
I loaned this from local library maybe two or three days ago. This must be a sign.
In what language? I've been trying to take it easy this week after some insane weeks of work, so this has been my method of winding down a little before getting early and decent sleep all week.

Eco is a genius. The intro is pure brilliance.

Enjoy!

And Alpo, you seem like someone who wouldn't mind a little ESL help, although you hardly require it as your English is quite good.

In American English for the most part at least, we borrow books from a library which lends them to use.

Let me know what you think of the book!

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Re-reading my favourite novel (and a #1 New York Times Best Seller): Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

If you don't like this book, well I'm sorry you have horrible taste.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
In what language? I've been trying to take it easy this week after some insane weeks of work, so this has been my method of winding down a little before getting early and decent sleep all week.

Enjoy!

And Alpo, you seem like someone who wouldn't mind a little ESL help, although you hardly require it as your English is quite good.

In American English for the most part at least, we borrow books from a library which lends them to use.

Do'h! I should have noticed that. Thanks. I try not to think of grammar while writing or speaking in English since being a perfectionist I could spend ages polishing everything but the method has it's downsides.

My copy is in Finnish. I try to remember write something if I actually end up reading it.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
orthonorm said:

Enjoy!

Do'h! I should have noticed that. Thanks. I try not to think of grammar while writing or speaking in English since being a perfectionist I could spend ages polishing everything but the method has it's downsides.

My copy is in Finnish. I try to remember write something if I actually end up reading it.
No you are correct in your method. It is one I should've adopted when learning the languages I did.

It was just a friendly correction.

Let me know if the Finnish translator followed Eco's own intentionally left untranslated passages or fragments in everything that is not in Italian.

I liked the English translator's decision not to offer an English translation for the parts of the text within the text or in foot or endnotes.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score

Been a few years since I read it. I'm looking forward to certain chapters which I'd like to make some posts about (Tradition and traditions in particular).

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
celticfan1888 said:
Re-reading my favourite novel (and a #1 New York Times Best Seller): Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

I loved that book... in fourth grade.

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
celticfan1888 said:

I loved that book... in fourth grade.
Are you always so offensive? Oh wait, yes you are. I don't want to deal with it today, so stop while you're ahead.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Alpo said:
orthonorm said:

Enjoy!

No you are correct in your method. It is one I should've adopted when learning the languages I did.

It was just a friendly correction.

Let me know if the Finnish translator followed Eco's own intentionally left untranslated passages or fragments in everything that is not in Italian.

I liked the English translator's decision not to offer an English translation for the parts of the text within the text or in foot or endnotes.
Did you skip over the Latin parts or ?