What is everyone reading?

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The Heavenly Banquet : Understanding the Divine Liturgy / Fr. Emmanuel Hatzidakis.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I am a little over 1/4 way through it.  I like it.  The author sticks to the basics and leaves the allegorical and mystical interpretations to Church Fathers and scholars who have already written about it.  It is organized well, as the basic commentary is the main text, while the author gives a little more detail in footnotes and some other studies marked in a different color.  He usually leaves his own opinions in the footnotes and other studies marked in a different color, so readers can choose how much detail to take in when reading each chapter.

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Currently reading:

House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski
St Silouan the Athonite, by Archimandrite Sophrony

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
HabteSelassie said:
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

neon_knights said:
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.
Text book for US history? Zinn's isn't too bad.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
It's ok to read, but it needs a heavy balance- like almost every history book out there. I have come to understand that there is no such thing as an objectively written history book. So in order to understand history, read authors from as many perspectives as possible. Even then, as Bob Marley said, "half the story has never been told." If you really want to understand human history and human destiny, all you need to do is read the Bible. The rest is just details conveyed with political bias.

Selam

Eastern Mind

High Elder
Reaction score
It's called "Overcoming Autism."

I bought it two years ago, but never got the chance to finish it, so I am trying to now  :)

jmbejdl

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky
My wife's favourite. She eventually wore me down into giving it a go (I gave up arguing after finding out Kafka was a fan) and I loved it. It's really hard to follow who everyone is until you get your head around the patronymics, though. For some reason if you alternate between referring to someone by their surname and their father's first name according to no pattern I can discern it completely confuses my ageing brain.

James

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
jmbejdl said:
Cyrillic said:
Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky
My wife's favourite. She eventually wore me down into giving it a go (I gave up arguing after finding out Kafka was a fan) and I loved it. It's really hard to follow who everyone is until you get your head around the patronymics, though. For some reason if you alternate between referring to someone by their surname and their father's first name according to no pattern I can discern it completely confuses my ageing brain.

James

OK, the truth is I only made it half way through it. I found certain parts very profound, but most of it I thought was unnecessarily laborious. It would take fifty pages to get to something that was actually philosophical or thought provoking. The story of the horse that was beaten to death was very powerful. And there were some great quotes here and there. But too much wasted in between. I made it half way through because the good parts were great. But the good parts were too sparse and the tedious parts too long. And I really hated to give up on it, because it's not a book you can put aside for a while and then pick back up. Too many characters and names to remember.

I was disappointed, because I absolutely loved every page of The Brothers Karamazov.

Selam

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
William said:
Oooh, an Orthodox book I've actually read!
I've really been enjoying it. In fact, when I'm done with it (probably tonight) I'm gonna reread it so I can do a book review of it (I didn't take notes the first time through).  :angel:
Some Finns consider archbishop Paul to be a Saint. There are some stories him glowing with uncreated light and appearing after his death. He's not canonized though and I don't think he will be either in the near future.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Gebre on C&P, it unnecessarily dragged on way too long after the murder. It got really boring.

peacenprayer

Reaction score
Just finished Dune Messiah. Moving on to book three when I get a chance. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to read for spiritual purposes. Need to get back into Orthodoxy.  :(

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Regarding Dostoevsky, I had the exact opposite reaction. I loved Crime and Punishment, but found The Brothers K unbearably dull.  Even when I read just the excerpt of the Grand Inquisitor section I found it boring.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Flying through Everyday Saints by Archimandrite Tikhon Shevkunov. An amazing book, hard to put down.

Tommelomsky

High Elder
Reaction score
Reading catechism material (church history and how the structure were built up from year 30-350).

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Regarding Dostoevsky, I had the exact opposite reaction. I loved Crime and Punishment, but found The Brothers K unbearably dull.  Even when I read just the excerpt of the Grand Inquisitor section I found it boring.
That's very surprising. I think the Bros K is exhaustive in everything Dost wanted to say, and although it sprawls a bit, I felt the direction was better than C&P

Speaking of that, it was really exciting in the beginning with the murder, the build up was fantastic and what happened directly after that was a page turner...but then it turned into this drawn out, goes nowhere until near the end. I loved the scene of the horse getting beat to death, but I had to force myself to get through the rest of the book.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
However there is this quote:

“Nothing is admitted,” Razumihin interrupted with heat. “I am not wrong. I’ll show you their pamphlets. Everything with them is ‘the influence of environment,’ and nothing else. Their favourite phrase! From which it follows that, if society is normally organised, all crime will cease at once, since there will be nothing to protest against and all men will become righteous in one instant. Human nature is not taken into account, it is excluded, it’s not supposed to exist! They don’t recognise that humanity, developing by a historical living process, will become at last a normal society, but they believe that a social system that has come out of some mathematical brain is going to organise all humanity at once and make it just and sinless in an instant, quicker than any living process! That’s why they instinctively dislike history, ‘nothing but ugliness and stupidity in it,’ and they explain it all as stupidity! That’s why they so dislike the living process of life; they don’t and a living soul! The living soul demands life, the soul won’t obey the rules of mechanics, the soul is an object of suspicion, the soul is retrograde! But what they want though it smells of death and can be made of india-rubber, at least is not alive, has no will, is servile and won’t revolt! And it comes in the end to their reducing everything to the building of walls and the planning of rooms and passages in a phalanstery! The phalanstery is ready, indeed, but your human nature is not ready for the phalanstery—it wants life, it hasn’t completed its vital process, it’s too soon for the graveyard! You can’t skip over nature by logic. Logic presupposes three possibilities, but there are millions! Cut away a million, and reduce it all to the question of comfort! That’s the easiest solution of the problem! It’s seductively clear and you mustn’t think about it. That’s the great thing, you mustn’t think! The whole secret of life in two pages of print!”
http://www.bartleby.com/318/35.html

C&P

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Homosexuality in the Orthodox Church, an anthology compiled by Justin Cannon. $8 on Kindle.

This is a must read for all Orthodox Christians, imo.

Pan Michał

Elder
Reaction score
stavros_388 said:
Homosexuality in the Orthodox Church, an anthology compiled by Justin Cannon. $8 on Kindle.

This is a must read for all Orthodox Christians, imo.
I thought so about Bible, but ok. ;)

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Metaphysics - Aristotle

Commentary on Metaphysics - St. Thomas Aquinas

Talk about dry reading... but necessary for school.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Papist, are you aware of a book of an Orthodox author going through Aquinas' work? I was just curious if there was such a thing.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Hey Papist, are you aware of a book of an Orthodox author going through Aquinas' work? I was just curious if there was such a thing.
You need to get some focus.

Pan Michał

Elder
Reaction score
Papist said:
Metaphysics - Aristotle

Commentary on Metaphysics - St. Thomas Aquinas

Talk about dry reading... but necessary for school.
My condolences for Aristotle - fortunately he's rather simple when it comes to translations, though.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
You might be interested in this thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=37982.0

Ignore the knee-jerk anti-"Western" ravings from the usual suspects.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
If you need to focus on something for longer than 72 hours it's a waste of time  :angel:

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
From what I understand, during the 20th century there were quite a few Eastern Orthodox theologians who were quite critical of Aquinas. But I don't know of any specific works.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Papist said:
Achronos said:
From what I understand, during the 20th century there were quite a few Eastern Orthodox theologians who were quite critical of Aquinas. But I don't know of any specific works.
There is definitely a knee-jerk condemnation of anything "scholastic", the same tendency that bemoans a "Western captivity" and throws a tantrum when an icon has a vanishing point; basically, we're so mystical and spooky and therefore have no need for organizing our theology in a systematic way. This is a polemically fabricated "Eastern Orthodoxy" that is not representative of the full tradition of the Church.

In the time of Aquinas and the centuries that followed such an attitude was not to be found.

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I have just finished "Too Much Magic" by James Howard Kunstler and I'm currently reading Fr. John Meyendorff's book, "The Byzantine Legacy in the Orthodox Church".

I'm debating what to start after Fr. John's book. I recently bought Church History by Eusebius and On the Divine Images by St. John of Damascus. Or I could move to another non-Orthodox work.

The current books on my shelf that I have yet to read:

Tom Clancy's Red Rabbit
Star Wars The Old Republic: Deceived by Paul S. Kemp
Star Wars Red Harvest by Joe Schreiber
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
The Grand Inquisitor by Fyodor Dostoevsky
The City in the Greek & Roman World by E.J. Owens
Beyond Oil by Kenneth S. Deffeyes
Medieval Russia 980-1584 by Janet Martin
Celtic Christianity by Timothy Joyce
A Short History of Byzantium by John Julius Norwich
1453: The Holy War for Constantinople and the clash of Islam and the West by Roger Crowley
Russia and the Russians by Geoffrey Hosking
History of Urban Form before the Industrial Revolution by A.E.J. Morris
Three Treatises on the Divine Images by St. John of Damascus
Church History by Eusebius

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Fwiw, of the books I've read in that list, Church History by Eusebius was the one I found most interesting.

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I will also say that I've read far more now that I've graduated than I did in college. Here is a list of the books I've read since May (graduation):

The Long Emergency by James Howard Kunstler
Too Much Magic by James Howard Kunstler
Russia and the Golden Horde by Charles Halperin
A Better Place to Live by Philip Langdon
The Geography of Nowhere by James Howard Kunstler
Lost to the West by Lars Brownworth
The Fall of Constantinople: 1453 by Steven Runciman

Oh and I should also add For the Life of the World by Fr. Alexander Schmemann to my "To Read" list.

I'm also reading (periodically because I have to read it closely) The Spiritual Life by St Theophan the Recluse.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Asteriktos said:
Fwiw, of the books I've read in that list, Church History by Eusebius was the one I found most interesting.
WHy?
Probably some of it has to do with it being more story telling in parts, not dry history/dialogue/etc. It was also interesting having a peek at what some of the earlier Christians whose writings are no longer extant believed and wrote about.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I've never been non-religious but for me an idea of being non-religious arouses some kind of feeling of anguish, emptiness and purposelessness. What should I read if I wanted to read something related to that kind of theme? Sarte? Camus? Hemingway?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
I've never been non-religious but for me an idea of being non-religious arouses some kind of feeling of anguish, emptiness and purposelessness. What should I read if I wanted to read something related to that kind of theme? Sarte? Camus? Hemingway?
HP Lovecraft

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Alpo said:
HP Lovecraft
LOL. I like Lovecraft but I'm looking for something little different. Maybe something little more this wordly and little less mythic.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Alpo said:
Older sci-fi: Arthur Clarke, Robert Heinlein, a good short story collection...  :)