What is everyone reading?

Pedro

Archon
Reaction score
For one critical analysis paper in Iconology:

Ouspensky's two-part series, The Theology of the Icon

And for another in Patristics on "How and Why St. Cyril Proves that Christ is One":

Primary Literature:
St. Cyril of Alexandria's That Christ is One (transl. Fr. John McGuckin)

Secondary Literature:
St. Cyril of Alexandria: the Christological Controversy: Its History, Theology, and Texts by McGuckin

"Divinization in Cyril: The Appropriation of Divine Life" in The Theology of St. Cyril of Alexandria by Thomas G.Weinandy and Daniel A. Keating (the latter contributed this particular article)

Cyril of Alexandria by Norman Russell

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Just got my copy of The Ancestral Sin by Fr. John Romanides, which I've never read before. Is it as good as I've heard?

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Lots of books for my dyad class including:

"Negotiating with Iran" by Limbert
"Sorry States: Apologies in International Politics" by Lind (fascinating study of Japan and Germany in the last fifty years or so)
"The Purpose of Intervention" by Finnemore
"Paradise Lost: Haiti's Tumultuous Journey from Pearl of the Caribbean to Third World Hotspot" by Girard
"Danish Neutrality" by Holbraad
The textbook for the history part of the class

and more

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
Ebor said:
Nebelpfade said:
Octavia E. Butler's Parable of the Sower
I haven't read this yet.  Did you like it?
I've read both Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents countless times now, and I think they are both absolutely brilliant.  It is a shame a third book never came to fruition before Butler's death.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
How Are We Saved? The Understanding of Salvation in the Orthodox Tradition, by Met. Kallistos
Women and Men in the Early Church: The Full Views of St. John Chrysostom, by David C. Ford

DeathToTheWorld

Reaction score
Eternal Mysteries Beyond the Grave.

The Orthodox Study Bible.

The Evergetinos.

Our thoughts Determine Our Lives

Its very good to hear such words of wisdom from the Holy Elders of our days.

St Dorotheos tells us that the devil rejoices over those who are without guidance, because he always seeks our destruction.

The devil loves those who trust in themselves, because they are cooperate with the devil and they themselves are responsible for their fall.

The Devil even hates the desire of us to seek words of guidance which will benefit us, and reveal the criminality of the devil.

There is nothing the devil hates and fears so much as to be known.
He wants to harm us and rejoices even more over those who are with no guidance.
Because they fall like leaves, as it says in the Proverbs.

Those words were from this chapter, which you can listen to for free on this website:

http://www.philokalia.org/abba_dorotheos.htm

Lesson 5, That One Should Not Trust His Own Understanding.

I'm ordering Elder Porfyrios Wounded by Love

Rosehip

Archon
Reaction score
I'd like to read this book too ("Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives"). The Elder looks like such a saintly, gentle person.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
People of The Lie:The Hope for Healing Human Evil
by M. Scott Peck, M.D.

Very good so far. Here are some notable passages and quotes:

"It is a strange thing: Dozens of times I have been asked by patients or acquaintances: 'Dr. Peck, why is there evil in the world?' Yet no one ever asked me in all these years: 'Why is there good in the world?' It is as if we automatically assume that this is a naturally good world that has somehow been contaminated by evil. In terms of what we know of science, however, it is actually easier to explain evil. That things decay is quite explainable in accord with the natural laws of physics. That life should evolve into more and more complex forms is not so easily understandable. That children generally lie and cheat and steal is routinely observable. The fact that they sometimes grow up to become truly honest adults is what seems the more remarkable. Laziness is more the rule than diligence. If we seriously think about it, it probably makes more sense to assume this is a naturally evil world that has somehow been mysteriously 'contaminated' by goodness, rather than the other way around. The mystery of goodness is even greater than the mystery of evil."

"While science needs those innovators who will champion a single new model as the most advanced understanding, the patient who seeks to be understood as wholly as possible would be well advised to seek a therapist capable of approaching the mystery of the human soul from all angles. Science has not yet, however, become exaclty broad-minded."

"In the face of such holy mystery it is best we remember to walk with the kind of care that is born both of fear and love."

"The battle to heal human evil always begins at home. And self-purification will always be our greatest weapon."

Selam

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet, by Bill McKibben

Since he first heralded our era of environmental collapse in 1989's The End of Nature, Bill McKibben has raised a series of eloquent alarms. In Eaarth, he leads readers to the devastatingly comprehensive conclusion that we no longer inhabit the world in which we've flourished for most of human history: we've passed the tipping point for dramatic climate change, and even if we could stop emissions yesterday, our world will keep warming, triggering more extreme storms, droughts, and other erratic catastrophes, for centuries to come. This is not just our grandchildren's problem, or our children's--we're living through the effects of climate change now, and it's time for us to get creative about our survival. McKibben pulls no punches, and swaths of this book can feel bleak, but his dry wit and pragmatic optimism refuse to yield to despair. Focusing our attention on inspiring communities of "functional independence" arising around the world, he offers galvanizing possibilities for keeping our humanity intact as the world we've known breaks down.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
My reading list for the day (they're all fairly short)...

The Question of Union: A Forthright Discussion of the Possibility of Union of the Eastern Orthodox Church and Roman Catholicism, by Constantine Cavarnos
Orthodox Christianity and the Spirit of Contemporary Ecumenism, by Fr. Daniel Degyansky
The Road to Apostasy: Significant Essays on Ecumenism, by Bp. Photii of Triaditza

DeathToTheWorld

Reaction score
I was just reading the LXX Apostolic Bible, being mesmerized by the difference of the translation of the Proverbs.

If you wish, you can check it out and download it.

http://www.apostolicbible.com/

I don't even know too much about it. If anybody could tell me what they think about the Apostolic Bible, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The Old Testament Apostolic Bible seems to me to be a much more accurate translation than the KJV.

I was reading Eternal Mysteries Beyond the Grave earlier.