What is everyone reading?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Cyrillic said:
I'm reading "The Orthodox Eastern Church" by Adrian Fortescue.
Neato!
It is a great work despite its RC bias. It is very informative and witty. I was almost dying of laughter when I read this passage:

"Mr. Skarlatos Byzantios has composed a very useful Greek- French lexicon. When he comes to the preposition ἐξ, one example of its use at once occurs to him, and he illustrates the fact that it takes the genitive by this sentence: "Τὸ ἂγιου Πνεῦμα ἐκπορεύεται ἐκ μόνου τοῦ Πατρός" which he proceeds to translate for the Western student by informing him, "le Saint-Esprit procede du Pere seul." (p. 373)

Orthodox11

Archon
Reaction score
biro said:
I bet that's a lot of points in Scrabble. :)
Lots of interesting stuff in there. The author suggests, for example, that the Lenten Fast (or at least our fasting on the day of Passover) is partly for the sake of the Jews. We fast and pray that God may turn them around from the disbelief that led them to crucify Christ on that day.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Did you already post your thoughts on Human Image: World Image? I'd be interested to read them.
I didn't post anything about it, but I'll try to go back through and collect some thoughts, probably this upcoming weekend.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Finished Sharpe's Triumph and am almost done with Sharpe's Fortress.

Started "War Before Civilization".  Pretty fascinating book.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I'm going to participate in a reading program at another site, but I'm not sure what to do. It's sort of like a new years resolution, only with books, and you get to choose how you want to set it up. For instance, you can read 1 book per week, or 1 book for each letter of the alphabet, or all the books by a particular author, etc.  Any thoughts on what I could do? I want something challenging and enjoyable, but which won't be too much considering I'll also have reading from full-time college work.

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
stavros_388 said:
Just ordered: Christianity - Lineaments of a Sacred Tradition, by Philip Sherrard.

Excited.
Hope you enjoy it more than I enjoyed the book by him  :angel:
I'd say that I am! I'm just over a third of the way through, and I've been underlining on nearly every page. Whether one agrees with all of his premises or not, it makes for fascinating reading. Highly recommendable.

Ioannis Climacus

High Elder
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Ioannis Climacus said:
The Key to Theosophy and Isis Unveiled by H. P. Blavatsky.
Dude, are you becoming a theosophist?
Yes, in the truest sense of the word. I have no intention, however, of becoming a member of the Society (which became nothing short of ridiculous following H.P.B.'s death). You can PM me if you want (so as not to derail the thread).

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Right now, I'm reading:
For the Life of the World by Fr. Alexander Schmemann
The Way of the Ascetics Tito Colliander
Glories of Czestochowa and Jasna Gora. A collection of miracles attributed to the Mother of God in Czestochowa, Poland.

Orthodox11

Archon
Reaction score
J Michael said:
It only counts if played in Latin and at the Scrabbelorum.
Academia's funny that way. Greek original in Syriac translation with a Latin title.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Well since no one was interested in my last post...  :p

I'm going to do a program of reading through all the works of Albert Camus and taking notes. I expect a treasure trove of psychological and philosophical insights. (<-- I'm serious, but I figured that'd make you laugh 'norm  ;D )

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Stranger - Albert Camus
A Nietzsche Reader - Nietzsche
Is Pluto a Planet? A Historical Journey Through the Solar System - David A. Weintraub

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Asteriktos said:
Is Pluto a Planet? A Historical Journey Through the Solar System - David A. Weintraub
Please, I'm trying to forget the greatest scientific scandal and moral offense since Galileo.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
Asteriktos said:
Please, I'm trying to forge the greatest scientific scandal and moral offense since Galileo.
Hmm?

If you are speaking of him, I believe the main gist of the book is that the idea of what a "planet" is has changed throughout history. I would assume by this that he will conclude that what happened with Pluto several years ago is perfectly normal and acceptable. But I could be wrong.

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
The Stranger - Albert Camus
A Nietzsche Reader - Nietzsche
I want to read Camus. What book should I start with?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Of his works of fiction, The Stranger is a short work and somewhat simple, and The Plague is a bit longer and more drawn out (in a good way). Others (and plays) are not quite as good. Fwiw I preferred The Stranger of the above two. The Myth of Sisyphus is his main non-fiction work, and details his ideas about what might be called absurdism.

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Of his works of fiction, The Stranger is a short work and somewhat simple, and The Plague is a bit longer and more drawn out (in a good way). Others (and plays) are not quite as good. Fwiw I preferred The Stranger of the above two. The Myth of Sisyphus is his main non-fiction work, and details his ideas about what might be called absurdism.
Thanks for the info. I just realized that I did read The Stranger waaay back when I was in high school. I can't remember much about it, though. Anyway, I just placed a hold on The Plague because my library has a copy. Cheers!

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Great! You'll be crying "the existentialists haven't gone far enough!" from the roof tops in no time!  ;D

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Well since no one was interested in my last post...  :p

I'm going to do a program of reading through all the works of Albert Camus and taking notes. I expect a treasure trove of psychological and philosophical insights. (<-- I'm serious, but I figured that'd make you laugh 'norm  ;D )
Strangely enough the day you wrote this, I was looking at a youtube video and the first recommended video for me was:

Albert Camus on Nihilism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rT8CunsWPY

I don't do much youtubeing, so I have no idea why this was recommended. It's really not worth looking at. You guessed correctly, I am not much of a Camus fan. The video is an interview primarily about his stage adaptation of Dostoyevsky's Demons.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
For instance, you can read 1 book per week, 
Just ONE?!?!? 

Aigggghhh. Book starvation!

;D ;)

I know.  Stop being a wiseguy

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
LOL. Well you could aim for more of course. Though with some of the theological books I don't think I'd want to do more than one a week. It'd probably take me about 12 hours to read a 150,000 word book. That'd be quite enough pleasure reading for me in a week, considering that I'd also have reading from college  ;D

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Finished Plato's Republic.

Been reading some classic weird tales:

"The Wendigo" and "The Willows" by Algernon Blackwood

"The White People" by Arthur Machen (an old favorite of mine)

Also read a children's book from the Irish renaissance, The Boy Who Knew What the Birds Said by Padraic Colum. Excellent, though not as great as his The King of Ireland's Son.

Just started St. Dionysius' On the Divine Names.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Asteriktos said:
Well since no one was interested in my last post...  :p

I'm going to do a program of reading through all the works of Albert Camus and taking notes. I expect a treasure trove of psychological and philosophical insights. (<-- I'm serious, but I figured that'd make you laugh 'norm  ;D )
Strangely enough the day you wrote this, I was looking at a youtube video and the first recommended video for me was:

Albert Camus on Nihilism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rT8CunsWPY

I don't do much youtubeing, so I have no idea why this was recommended. It's really not worth looking at. You guessed correctly, I am not much of a Camus fan. The video is an interview primarily about his stage adaptation of Dostoyevsky's Demons.
I don't know how it works either, but thanks for the link :)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Cyrillic said:
I can see you have a good taste.
There shouldn't be "a" in there. Really, really there shouldn't.  :angel:
LOL!

Still chuckling over The Republic being a very good book.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Cyrillic said:
I can see you have a good taste.
There shouldn't be an "a" in there... :angel:
Ow, ok. Thanks

orthonorm said:
Asteriktos said:
Cyrillic said:
I can see you have good taste.
There shouldn't be "a" in there. Really, really there shouldn't.  :angel:
LOL!

Still chuckling over The Republic being a very good book.
Why wouldn't it be a good book?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A Storm of Swords (Book 3 of A Song of Ice and Fire), by George R.R. Martin.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
St. Gregory of Nazianzus: An Intellectual Biography, Fr. John McGuckin

This is about the 6th time I've read this book... absolutely love it.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Reading is the spice of life for those whose life has no spice :)