What is everyone reading?

Doubting Thomas

High Elder
Reaction score
Jesus and the Victory of God by N.T. Wright is what I'm currently reading. It's good, but it's rather lengthy being over 660 pages. It's a good answer to those "jesus seminar" types, but I've just ordered a bunch of books from Amazon.com (including For the Life of the World by Fr. Schmemann) so I might take a break from JVG.

Matthew777

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Doubting Thomas said:
Jesus and the Victory of God by N.T. Wright is what I'm currently reading. It's good, but it's rather lengthy being over 660 pages. It's a good answer to those "jesus seminar" types, but I've just ordered a bunch of books from Amazon.com (including For the Life of the World by Fr. Schmemann) so I might take a break from JVG.
Jesus Before Christianity, as I understand it, is sort of a middleground between the historicists and the Jesus Seminar types. Though I do not agree with some of the opinions of the author, his assessment of how Jesus perceived the Kingdom of God and the message of the Kingdom is thought-provoking.

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
Heavy history...Giogorio Falco's The Holy Roman Republic

Got to understand where "they" came from too.

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Matthew777 said:
Has anyone read Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future?
Yup, great book...and if you take it to heart, you should understand why we are preaching to you about speaking the Truth in love and all that jazz.  BUT, And this is a BIG But (no pun intended), remember that Fr. Seraphim is AN opinion and NOT NECESSARILLY the official Orthodox opinion.  But again, a great book.

Keble

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Doubting Thomas said:
I'm been wanting to read some Wright, but perhaps I will start with something a little shorter.

I've just started My God: A reappraisal of normal religious experience by Martin Thornton. At the end of the preface it says "I have collaborated with nobody and discussed it with nobody. Nobody has even read the proofs and offered valuable suggestions."

Doubting Thomas

High Elder
Reaction score
I'm been wanting to read some Wright, but perhaps I will start with something a little shorter.
The first book in the series, The New Testament and the People of God was a little shorter, not quite 500 pages. It sets the historical background for the rest of the series. (The third is The Revelation of the Son of God.) I believe he does have some shorter books which I may read some day for review/summary. :)

Matthew777

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I am thinking about reading the Brothers Karamazov but perhaps it is a little too long for me to read right now. On the other hand, I read non-school-related books all the time. Perhaps I will check it out the the library today.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Normally I'm not much into comparitive religion (I have enough trouble learning enough about my own religion--there are so many good books out there), but I saw Encyclopedia of the World's Religions by R.C. Zaehner on the bargain table at Barnes and Noble today, so I bought it. If there was any hope that this book might be something a bit more conservative, that hope was dashed on the very first page of text, where I was informed that (supposedly) the idea that one religion is the true religion isn't believed by any "reputable theologian" anymore.* Leafing through the sections on Zoroastrianism and others, I could see that it doesn't get much better. In any event, I'll plow through it anyway. :)

I also bought a Journal today called Modern Age which seems to be an epistemological/educational publication... has anyone read this before, and if so would you mind sharing what you thought of it?

* To quote the book: "Selection, of course, is not considered to be arbitrary by those who deny that religions grow and change in major respects, and who maintain that the one true religion (ie. the one which the writer happens to subscribe to) sprang ready-made from God as Pallas from Zeus. But this view is no longer held by any reputable theologian, let alone by critical scholars." (p. 3)

irene

Reaction score
"Faith for a Lifetime" by Archbishop Iakovos!

Being fairly new to Orthodoxy, I didn't know who he was, but started the book, and couldn't put it down. 

Now, he is very close to my heart.  He writes as though he is speaking directly to you as a friend.

Now, I miss him as much as Pope John Paul II!   

ExOrienteLux

Reaction score
Rereading That Hideous Strength, then probably one of the multitude of books my girlfriend got for me, probably Les Miserables.

-Philip.

jlerms

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished reading St. Theophan the Recluse "The Spiritual Life and How to be Attuned to it " and
George S. Gabriel's Mary the Untrodden Portal of God.  Both were excellent.
I am currently re-reading Doestoevsy's Brothers Karamazov along with The Arena by Bishop Ignatius Brianchaninov, St. John Chrysostom's sermons on Wealth and Poverty and of course the New Testament

God bless you all,  Juliana

Philokalia

Reaction score
Website
catholicscot.blogspot.com
I am reading "And Quiet Flows the Don" by Mikhail Sholokhov. Re-reading I should say since I vaguely recall reading it about quarter of a century ago.

I'm also re-reading The Explanation by the Blessed Theophylact of the Holy Gospel according to St Matthew

Matthew777

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I have postponed my reading of A Way of the Pilgrim and The First-Created Man until school ends but currently, I am reading a chapter a day of the book of Exodus.

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
IC XC NIKA
Gospel of John, St. Ephrem's "Hymns on Paradise", "Jesus in Egypt"
copticorthodoxboy

Sir Sundae

Reaction score
The Way of the Pilgrim and the Pilgrim Continues His Way, The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Silmarillion, The New Testament and the People of God by N.T. Wright, On the Eight Vices by St. John Cassian, On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius, He is there and He is Not Silent by Francis Schaeffer, and After Virtue by Alasdair MacIntyre.

That's my summer reading.

--Chuck

Donna Rose

High Elder
Reaction score
Chuck - i like a lot of your summer reading! :)

lessee, i am currently reading...essays by Emerson for my American Lit class, the letters of J.R.R. Tolkien (a few per night), The Church of the Ancient Councils by Archbishop Peter L'Huillier, and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (in my rereading of the series in anticipation of the 6th book coming out in july). ;D summer is a happy time, since i have time to do my own reading again.