What is everyone reading?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
FormerReformer said:
The Brothers Karamazov.  I can't believe I made it to thirty without reading an entire novel by Dostoyevsky.

What a great book! I read it long before I was Orthodox, and I loved it. I really need to read it again now, because I'm sure there was a lot I missed the first time I read it through the lens of Protestantism.

Selam

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Contemporary Ascetics of Mount Athos, Volume I

Hands down, one of the top 5 most interesting and beneficial books I have ever read. 

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
FormerReformer said:
The Brothers Karamazov.  I can't believe I made it to thirty without reading an entire novel by Dostoyevsky.

What a great book! I read it long before I was Orthodox, and I loved it. I really need to read it again now, because I'm sure there was a lot I missed the first time I read it through the lens of Protestantism.

Selam
Having now finished the book, I can say I greatly enjoyed it, and am disappointed that Dostoyevsky died before informing us of the later actions of Alyosha.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Working through the following right now:

The Lord Christ: Out of Egypt
by Anne Rice
Commentary on Galatians by Fr. Paul Nadim Tarazi
The Virgin Mary:  Celebration of Faith 3 by +Fr. Alexander Schmemann
The Way of the Fathers:  Exploring the Patristic Mind by Fr. John Chryssavgis

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Started "Ghosts of Cannae".  It's pretty good, for any ancient history lovers out there.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Can't remember if I mentioned it here, but I finally finished Fr. A. James Bernstein's book, Surprised by Christ.  Not a bad read, but once you've read one conversion story, you've kind of read them all!

EVOO

Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I thought "Surprised by Christ" was a unique conversion story.  I, personally, don't know of many Jews who have become Christians, not to mention, Orthodox.

I just finished "The Exiles of the Cebenna", and I'm starting "How the Irish Saved Civilization".

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
"On the cruelty of really teaching computing science" by Edsger Wybe Dijkstra
this sounds like a really great book, but I didn't find it listed on Amazon. Do you have the ISBN?

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
stanley123 said:
Nebelpfade said:
this sounds like a really great book, but I didn't find it listed on Amazon. Do you have the ISBN?
It is actually just a short paper he wrote in the late 80s.  Not sure if it has been published, but it can be found in the Dijkstra Archive:  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/ewd10xx/EWD1036.PDF

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life by Stephen LaBerge

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
stanley123 said:
Nebelpfade said:
It is actually just a short paper he wrote in the late 80s.  Not sure if it has been published, but it can be found in the Dijkstra Archive:  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/ewd10xx/EWD1036.PDF
What text do you use nowadays for intro students? I was privileged to work through an older edition of:

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
deusveritasest said:
Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life by Stephen LaBerge
One of the benefits of sleep I find is the loss of consciousness. I always find myself incredibly disappointed upon waking if I remember having dreamt.

Pedro

Archon
Reaction score
FormerReformer said:
Same here, exactly!  I'm about 200 pages from the end and loving it as I've not loved any other work of fiction.

Also reading Alaskan Missionary Spirituality (for a class this Fall), Meyendorff's book on Palamas and Palamas' sermons (ditto), and Peaceful Journey: A Hospice Chaplain's Guide to End of Life.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score

From Publishers Weekly
In the first half of the 19th century, some three million Irish emigrated to America, trading a ruling elite of Anglo-Irish Anglicans for one of WASPs. The Irish immigrants were (self-evidently) not Anglo-Saxon; most were not Protestant; and, as far as many of the nativists were concerned, they weren't white, either. Just how, in the years surrounding the Civil War, the Irish evolved from an oppressed, unwelcome social class to become part of a white racial class is the focus of Harvard lecturer Ignatiev's well-researched, intriguing although haphazardly structured book.

Very interesting little book.  Provides some insight into why this fella was so ticked off all the time...

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Nebelpfade said:
stanley123 said:
Nebelpfade said:
Thanks for this link.

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
orthonorm said:
What text do you use nowadays for intro students? I was privileged to work through an older edition of:

Intro courses are really fragmented these days I find, but you will still find the 2nd edition of the Wizard book used now and then.

How to Design Programs: An Introduction to Programming and Computing by Matthias Felleisen, Robert Bruce Findler, Matthew Flatt, & Shriram Krishnamurthi
Mathematical Logic by George J. Tourlakis
Introduction to the Theory of Computation by Michael Sipser

Those were a few of the first year books I had.  I was lucky enough to have rather theoretical professors, rather than the more applied "software engineering" (shudders) professors.