Putnik Namernik said:
The Journals of Alexander Schmemann 1793-1983
Wow, he must have been quite elderly when he died!  ;D

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky.
As dry and depressing as this can be, it is actually one of my favorite novels of all time. I like that Dostoevsky is honest about the depravity of which man is capable, but I also love that he is honest about the possibility of redemption. Many twentieth century novels put the depravity on full display, but ignore the reality of redemption.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Papist said:
Cyrillic said:
Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky.
As dry and depressing as this can be, it is actually one of my favorite novels of all time. I like that Dostoevsky is honest about the depravity of which man is capable, but I also love that he is honest about the possibility of redemption. Many twentieth century novels put the depravity on full display, but ignore the reality of redemption.
I like it too. I read it during lessons at school so progress isn't as fast as I would like it to be but the story is a little bit slow and some side-plots don't have much to do with the main story. But the book's pretty good, I admit.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just read a preview of Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made and now waaaaaaant the full monty! *grabbyhands*

Ioannis Climacus

High Elder
Reaction score
Irish poetry. Specifically, that of Æ (George William Russell) and Yeats (to a lesser extent).

A part of me wants to delve into Joycean literature, but the experiences of others have made me apprehensive to say the least. Not sure I am up for the challenge.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Would anyone here be interested in a literature thread? This would probably be something along the lines of mini-reviews and discussions, so a bit more in depth than what this thread usually has, but not so in depth that new threads are required or full-blown reviews are given for each text.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Asteriktos said:
Would anyone here be interested in a literature thread? This would probably be something along the lines of mini-reviews and discussions, so a bit more in depth than what this thread usually has, but not so in depth that new threads are required or full-blown reviews are given for each text.
Yeah man! Get it started! :)

Selam

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Not a bad idea.  :)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
This week:

Interpretations of Life: A Survey of Contemporary Literature, by Will and Ariel Durant
The Stolen Throne, by David Gaider

2nd time I've read both these books--both good ones.

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered this:

Horrendous Evils and the Goodness of God (Cornell Studies in the Philosophy of Religion), by Marilyn McCord Adams

The author is Catholic, and from an interview I've listened to, she seems to have developed a fairly convincing theodicy... as far as theodicies go. The gist of it, from what I've gathered so far, is this: If anyone truly and unflinchingly considers the scope and severity of suffering on earth, there is no possibility of reasonable optimism without faith in a God who is powerful and good and just enough to make all things right in the end. Or something like that. I may post more about it when I actually read the book!  ;D

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Since I have to read 11 Dutch books for my exams within 11 many days I'm now reading De Dwaas van Palmyra and Ivoren Wachters.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
One Train Later: A Memoir by Andy Summers

http://www.amazon.com/One-Train-Later-A-Memoir/dp/B001G7RF3Q

While full of the typical anecdotes of the chaos and mayhem of a rock star, the book is very well written and expressed with heartfelt honesty and introspection. I am enjoying it very much. I've always loved The Police and Andy Summers' guitar playing.

Selam

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Asteriktos said:
Consider it started! :)
The new thread, same as the old thread!
Yeah, I think that's unfortunately true. I think too many of us are reading completely different things and there's not much to talk about. Maybe a thread for a specific genre would get more discussion...

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time and the Texture of Reality, by Brian Greene

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Asteriktos said:
The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time and the Texture of Reality, by Brian Greene
Can I visit your library sometime?
My public library? Sure :)  My personal library currently contains 7 books  ;D

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Ioannis Climacus said:
Irish poetry. Specifically, that of Æ (George William Russell) and Yeats (to a lesser extent).

A part of me wants to delve into Joycean literature, but the experiences of others have made me apprehensive to say the least. Not sure I am up for the challenge.
I thought Ulysses was incomprehensible and refused to waste my time on it when there are so many other books to read.  Remember really enjoying Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.  Years later an English fellow told me that you have to hear Ulysses read in the correct accent, then it flows beautifully and makes sense.  

Ioannis Climacus

High Elder
Reaction score
Velsigne said:
Ioannis Climacus said:

I thought Ulysses was incomprehensible and refused to waste my time on it when there are so many other books to read.  Remember really enjoying Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.  Years later an English fellow told me that you have to hear Ulysses read in the correct accent, then it flows beautifully and makes sense.  
Maybe the audio book would be the best choice for Ulysses then.

Thank you for the recommendation. I might check the Portrait out after I get through this awful week of midterms.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Defending Constantine: The Twilight of an Empire and the Dawn of Christendom by Peter J. Leithart. Absolutely fascinating.

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Ioannis Climacus said:
Velsigne said:
Ioannis Climacus said:

Maybe the audio book would be the best choice for Ulysses then.

Thank you for the recommendation. I might check the Portrait out after I get through this awful week of midterms.
I found a site with an audio performance of Ulysses.  Might be better during summertime. 

http://archive.org/details/Ulysses-Audiobook

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
The Jesus Sutras, Nestorian missionary texts in 7th century China.

Through the holy wonders of the Messiah all can escape becoming ghosts. All of us are saved by his works. You don’t need strength to receive him, but he will not leave you weak and vulnerable, without qi. (4:22-24)

You may have been taught that people cannot save themselves. This is why the Heavenly Honored One sends the spirit force to all places to save everyone. It goes to all that live and teaches the truth. This is different from what the various deities and spirits do. (7:36-39)

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dan the Man said:

It's 200 pages long. I guess that means there's a lot wrong with the world.
If you want a list of everything that's wrong with the world, you need to add a few zeros to that page count...

DuxI

Reaction score
Сјај во окото на ѕвездата - Лилјана Хабјановиќ Ѓуровиќ. ( A radiant gleam in the eye of the star - Liljana Habjanovic -Djurovic ).

More about the book and the author:

http://www.habjanovic.rs/

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
DuxI said:
Сјај во окото на ѕвездата - Лилјана Хабјановиќ Ѓуровиќ. ( A radiant gleam in the eye of the star - Liljana Habjanovic -Djurovic ).

That looks really good! I will see if I can get an English copy.

DuxI

Reaction score
biro said:
DuxI said:

I waited for this few months to come in Macedonian. My friend has nearly all her books in Serbian, but i can not read good Serbian ( i understand when someone talks to me, but i can not read books in it, because i want to understand the book 100% )

I warmly recommend to everyone the novel Petkana, it is about st. Parascheva. A book that touches the soul.

A great author, and great person, i met her today on the book fair in Skopje, she promoted the book I read now in Macedonian. ( the book was published today )

Check on the website, there you will see in which languages her novels are published

Here is link for that:
http://www.habjanovic.rs/eng/inostrana.html

Reaction score
DuxI said:
biro said:
DuxI said:

I waited for this few months to come in Macedonian. My friend has nearly all her books in Serbian, but i can not read good Serbian ( i understand when someone talks to me, but i can not read books in it, because i want to understand the book 100% )

I warmly recommend to everyone the novel Petkana, it is about st. Parascheva. A book that touches the soul.

A great author, and great person, i met her today on the book fair in Skopje, she promoted the book I read now in Macedonian. ( the book was published today )

Check on the website, there you will see in which languages her novels are published

Here is link for that:
http://www.habjanovic.rs/eng/inostrana.html

Golden Knight“ to Ljiljana Habjanovic Djurovic
http://www.spc.rs/eng/golden_knight_ljiljana_habjanovic_djurovic

I have never read her books but have hear great things about them.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
J Michael said:
Turning The Heart To God by St. Theophan the Recluse

and

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

How's that for contrast  ;D?
Ya gots yer see-saw swingin' hard! ;D

Starting on The Secret of Father Brown. At this pace, I'm going to run out of material before Lent is over.