• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What is everyone reading?

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 17, 2012
Messages
1,198
Reaction score
0
Points
0
stanley123 said:
Cyrillic said:
stanley123 said:
An abomination is something that leads one to eternal damnation in hell.
[hyperdox] And what did you think pews do? [/hyperdox]
Pews enable one to sit down.
True, but they hinder movement, prostrations and are alien, rather like that other abomination the organ, surely?
 

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Santagranddad said:
stanley123 said:
Cyrillic said:
stanley123 said:
An abomination is something that leads one to eternal damnation in hell.
[hyperdox] And what did you think pews do? [/hyperdox]
Pews enable one to sit down.
True, but they hinder movement, prostrations and are alien, rather like that other abomination the organ, surely?
You have an argument with some of your Orthodox Churches which have both pews and organs. I asked the wife of the priest at the local Orthodox Church as to why they use the organ in Church and she said that it was only to insure that people were singing on the correct key.
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,289
Reaction score
174
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
Eh. When a church is 'inherited', ripping out the pews (and replacing them with chairs and stasidia) and organ can be too much of a bother and/or expense.

OT: Deciphering the libretto of Il Trovatore. My Italian sure is rusty. :-\
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,289
Reaction score
174
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
Cyrillic said:
Arachne said:
OT: Deciphering the libretto of Il Trovatore. My Italian sure is rusty. :-\
Verdi is good. Puccini is better, though;.
My mother-in-law would cry anathema. ;)
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,289
Reaction score
174
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
Cyrillic said:
Arachne said:
Cyrillic said:
Arachne said:
OT: Deciphering the libretto of Il Trovatore. My Italian sure is rusty. :-\
Verdi is good. Puccini is better, though;.
My mother-in-law would cry anathema. ;)
Anathematising the truth is tricky business  :)
There's no accounting for tastes... else we of the rum 'n' raisin brigade are doomed. :p
 

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
7,220
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
The Ozark Mountains
In addition to the book on the Jesus Prayer, I just picked up

1. R. E. Lee by Douglas Southall Freeman.  It's supposedly the definitive single-volume biography out there.

2. American Sphinx- The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph J. Ellis.  If David McCullough likes it, it should be good.

3. The Life of Johnny Reb- The Common Soldier of the Confederacy by Bell Irvin Wiley.  He's also got a companion book about the common Union soldier that I'd like to get sometime. 
 

augustin717

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
6,850
Reaction score
0
Points
0
A nice manual-style book on shamanism published by the university of Oklahoma. Although I also leafed through Eliade's book on the subject it seems dated.
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,289
Reaction score
174
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
Courtesy of the 'damaged stock' shelf of my local independent bookstore, an omnibus edition of Diamond Brothers adventures no 4-7, by Anthony Horowitz (The Blurred Man, The French Confection, I Know What You Did Last Wednesday, The Greek Who Stole Christmas). Much giggling is ensuing already.
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
9
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
GabrieltheCelt said:
In addition to the book on the Jesus Prayer, I just picked up

1. R. E. Lee by Douglas Southall Freeman.  It's supposedly the definitive single-volume biography out there.

2. American Sphinx- The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph J. Ellis.  If David McCullough likes it, it should be good.

3. The Life of Johnny Reb- The Common Soldier of the Confederacy by Bell Irvin Wiley.  He's also got a companion book about the common Union soldier that I'd like to get sometime.   

Interesting. I'm currently reading a 900 page tome entitled: "The Monk, the Forest, and Nathan Bedford Forrest."

OK, not really. My silliness comes out after Pascha. Sorry. ;)



Selam
 

Severian

Taxiarches
Joined
Jul 4, 2011
Messages
6,642
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
To my great shame, I still haven't finished "Fundamentals of Classical Arabic: Volume I." Memorizing all the various verb tenses is a serious pain.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,405
Reaction score
120
Points
63
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
Severian said:
To my great shame, I still haven't finished "Fundamentals of Classical Arabic: Volume I." Memorizing all the various verb tenses is a serious pain.
Then stop.
 

Severian

Taxiarches
Joined
Jul 4, 2011
Messages
6,642
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
biro said:
Severian said:
To my great shame, I still haven't finished "Fundamentals of Classical Arabic: Volume I." Memorizing all the various verb tenses is a serious pain.
Then stop.
I am not saying I want to stop. I love Arabic, it's one of my passions. It may be hard, but it is rewarding. I guess I just need to be a bit more disciplined and focused. I knew very well learning Classical Arabic (especially outside a classroom setting) would be difficult. When I start to university I'll get an opportunity to study the language in a more structured environment.
 

augustin717

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
6,850
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Morris Rossabi, Voyager from Xanadu-Rabban Sauma and the first Journey from China to the West
 

Orthodox11

Archon
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
2,994
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Not something I'm reading, but I just saw this was due for release next month and thought I should share since it's bound to be a good one:

Andrew Louth - Introducing Eastern Orthodox Theology

 

Papist

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
13,771
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
39
Location
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Cyrillic said:
Papist said:
Cyrillic said:
Plato - Gorgias and Protagoras
Cool. I'm reading Plato too: Apology and Republic.
Awesome. Those two are Plato's masterworks. The Apology is brilliant in its audacity. You might want to read Xenophon's version of Socrates' Apology alongside with it.
Great idea. This is my last semester of course work, and I'm taking a course on Plato.
 

Tommelomsky

High Elder
Joined
May 13, 2012
Messages
511
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Reading some notes about the next things to happen in my parish and just finished reading a thread where being accused of two different things.

Seems like welcome and many years has been substituted with insults and accusations.
 

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
13,710
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
26
Location
Netherlands
Papist said:
Cyrillic said:
Papist said:
Cyrillic said:
Plato - Gorgias and Protagoras
Cool. I'm reading Plato too: Apology and Republic.
Awesome. Those two are Plato's masterworks. The Apology is brilliant in its audacity. You might want to read Xenophon's version of Socrates' Apology alongside with it.
Great idea. This is my last semester of course work, and I'm taking a course on Plato.
Impressive. A few months ago I was allowed to follow an entire semester on Plato. Before students of classical languages I had to translate parts of the Symposium on the spot. Great fun.
 

Papist

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
13,771
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
39
Location
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Cyrillic said:
Papist said:
Cyrillic said:
Papist said:
Cyrillic said:
Plato - Gorgias and Protagoras
Cool. I'm reading Plato too: Apology and Republic.
Awesome. Those two are Plato's masterworks. The Apology is brilliant in its audacity. You might want to read Xenophon's version of Socrates' Apology alongside with it.
Great idea. This is my last semester of course work, and I'm taking a course on Plato.
Impressive. A few months ago I was allowed to follow an entire semester on Plato. Before students of classical languages I had to translate parts of the Symposium on the spot. Great fun.
Now that is impressive. I suppose I'll have to learn Greek eventually.
 

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
0
Points
0
just finished:
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  It's about Louis Zamperini, an Olympian who was a POW in WWII. He and his fellow POWs were treated with the utmost of brutality. (30% of POWs in Japanese hands died as compared to only 1% dying under the Nazis.)  He managed to find peace and forgiveness through becoming a Christian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0pulc6kDsk


just started:
Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog by Borin Akunin.    About a Russian Orthodox nun who solves mysteries.   Hopefully it will be good.....

http://www.boris-akunin.com/bk_white_buldog.html
 
Top