What is everyone reading?

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Adela said:
just finished:
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  It's about Louis Zamperini, an Olympian who was a POW in WWII. He and his fellow POWs were treated with the utmost of brutality. (30% of POWs in Japanese hands died as compared to only 1% dying under the Nazis.)  He managed to find peace and forgiveness through becoming a Christian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0pulc6kDsk

just started:
Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog by Borin Akunin.    About a Russian Orthodox nun who solves mysteries.   Hopefully it will be good.....

http://www.boris-akunin.com/bk_white_buldog.html

I just started Devil at My Heels by Louis Zamperini.  Costco special, purchased along with Antony Beevor's The Second World War.  I liked his book Stalingrad.  May be awhile before I get to it. +-632

That last part was the cat's input on the topic.

Just finished Mark Mazower's Inside Hitler's Greece which was a good read.  Then started The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History by John M. Barry.  It is really interesting, but I got sidetracked and will have to go back.

Other than that, the third in the series of Spiritual Counsels by Elder Paisios Spiritual Struggle.

Then a bunch of technical gobbledy-gook for work, which I actually sometimes really enjoy.  

edit: title correction

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Yesterday - finished "Frozen Solid," by James Tabor. Today - finished "Sacrifice" by S.J. Bolton.

Today - looking to start something new. It's almost time for my annual 'summer reading challenge,' in which I try to see if I can beat the 37 books I read in the summer after junior year in high school. The challenge lasts from June to the middle of September. :)

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
biro said:
Today - looking to start something new. It's almost time for my annual 'summer reading challenge,' in which I try to see if I can beat the 37 books I read in the summer after junior year in high school. The challenge lasts from June to the middle of September. :)
As long as you don't try to fit the entire Wheel of Time in there. ;)

Fotina02

Reaction score
biro said:
Yesterday - finished "Frozen Solid," by James Tabor. Today - finished "Sacrifice" by S.J. Bolton.

OT has 39 books.

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Against the Modern World: Traditionalism and the Secret Intellectual History of the Twentieth Century, by Mark Sedwick

I'm also reading the The Qur'an (translated by Tarif Khalidi), from back to front, as I read this is roughly the order in which it was allegedly received by Mohammed.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
is foucault and deleuze like completely open to interpretation here? i guess i like my thesis to be crystal clear and to see if i agree or disagree.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Wow. Everybody reads such serious stuff. I feel like building a tent just to protect my fragile IQ.  :p

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
biro said:
Wow. Everybody reads such serious stuff. I feel like building a tent just to protect my fragile IQ.  :p
i have been more inclined reading much more clear works than sophism.

i dont know, i dont claim to be intellectual or anything but some of these works are just so wide open with interpretation i feel like they are written by some smug ***hole for an academic elite to masturbate to.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
is foucault and deleuze like completely open to interpretation here? i guess i like my thesis to be crystal clear and to see if i agree or disagree.
With a lot of philosophy, simple propositions that one can take or leave are often beside the point.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Achronos said:
With a lot of philosophy, simple propositions that one can take or leave are often beside the point.
yeah unless you are feeding some kind of bs enabler.

im sorry but there are plenty ways of being literary, thought provoking and funny without being purposely opaque

ive been reading more poetry these days, you should be happy

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rebels, Traitors and Turncoats of London, by Travis Elborough. In the same vein as the Horrible Histories series, and as much fun.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Iconodule said:
Achronos said:

im sorry but there are plenty ways of being literary, thought provoking and funny without being purposely opaque
Don't get me wrong, a lot of philosophy simply seems difficult because it is badly written, or an old idea is regurgitated in a novel, gimmicky way. But also some of the most fulfilling philosophy, at least for me, is full of games and experiments that don't necessarily lead to a coherent system of principles.

Whatcha been reading?

KostaC

Elder
Reaction score
I bought Out of Africa a few days ago and tried to read it, but I can't get past the first few pages. I find the Baroness Dinesen's writing to be dry, and while I understand that by the contemporary standards of her day she wasn't being racist, it's still hard to get passed for a reader in 2013, I find. So today I was given Two Faiths, One Banner by Professor Ian Almond, and I'm loving it. I haven't really read it in order (because it doesn't really need to be since it breaks up different regions and different eras which do not necessarily connect together), so now I'm on Chapter Three and reading about Emperor John Kantakouzenos VI and his close friendship with the Emir of Aydin, Umur. I don't know why I was so fascinated by the history of the Aragonese Crown for years; the Catalan Company was so horrible that there was a saying that existed on the island where my Grandmother was born up until at the very least the 1800's--"that's so bad, not even a Catalan would do that."

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Don't get me wrong, a lot of philosophy simply seems difficult because it is badly written, or an old idea is regurgitated in a novel, gimmicky way. But also some of the most fulfilling philosophy, at least for me, is full of games and experiments that don't necessarily lead to a coherent system of principles.
its not about the writing style to me. im not saying focault doesnt have anything to say, he does, but dont make a work purposely "hard" for the sake of it.

Whatcha been reading?
baudelaire, mayakovsky, rimbaud, etc.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I bought Out of Africa a few days ago and tried to read it, but I can't get past the first few pages. I find the Baroness Dinesen's writing to be dry, and while I understand that by the contemporary standards of her day she wasn't being racist, it's still hard to get passed for a reader in 2013, I find.
It's a favourite book of mine. I get what you are saying but the baroness at least, was lucid enough, to see what she was doing in Kenya and sense the way things will turn. For the same reason I liked Berberova's short stories etc. There is nostalgia there, but enough lucidity to see that things will never be the same again.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
I bought Out of Africa a few days ago and tried to read it, but I can't get past the first few pages. I find the Baroness Dinesen's writing to be dry, and while I understand that by the contemporary standards of her day she wasn't being racist, it's still hard to get passed for a reader in 2013, I find.
It's a favourite book of mine. I get what you are saying but the baroness at least, was lucid enough, to see what she was doing in Kenya and sense the way things will turn. For the same reason I liked Berberova's short stories etc. There is nostalgia there, but enough lucidity to see that things will never be the same again.
I have it on my bookshelf. Still haven't read it.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like her short stories better. Especially the Seven Gothic Tales.

KostaC

Elder
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
Well, as long as it gets better. I guess I can't really gleam all there is about the book in 22 pages. I suppose I'll give her another go, then.

Arachne said:
I like her short stories better. Especially the Seven Gothic Tales.
May I ask, what are the Seven Gothic Tales about? I can't find an overview of those short stories online.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
KostaC said:
May I ask, what are the Seven Gothic Tales about? I can't find an overview of those short stories online.
They are not exactly what we think of as 'gothic' now; there certainly are duels, ghosts and romance galore, but the most recurrent theme is identity, especially people who are not what they appear to be. You can sample the stories here.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Sergei Hackel - Kallisarvoinen helmi (Pearl of Great Price)

A biography of St. Mary of Paris. She reminded me of Pope Francis. A Saint for sure but I didn't really understand her thoughts.

DuxI

Reaction score
Achronos said:
DuxI said:
The best educator - Zhivan m. Marinkovikj
i dont see a finnish name here.
His surname is Marinkovich, but, in Macedonia, we write "иќ" instead of "ич" at the end of Serbian surnames, and for that letter in latin we use kj. I should have written "ch" so that i will not confuse people that do not know that.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
DuxI said:
Achronos said:
DuxI said:
The best educator - Zhivan m. Marinkovikj
i dont see a finnish name here.
His surname is Marinkovich, but, in Macedonia, we write "иќ" instead of "ич" at the end of Serbian surnames, and for that letter in latin we use kj. I should have written "ch" so that i will not confuse people that do not know that.
i was making a joke here. supposedly finland has the best education in the world.

or so i have been told and soon to be corrected.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Sergei Hackel - Kallisarvoinen helmi (Pearl of Great Price)

A biography of St. Mary of Paris. She reminded me of Pope Francis. A Saint for sure but I didn't really understand her thoughts.
Is it because she was AFAIK a sui-generis leftist?

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Pope Francis... 'a Saint for sure'?   ???

As the saying goes, 'look twice before you kiss the icon'.  ;D

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Achronos said:
Iconodule said:
Achronos said:

Whatcha been reading?
How is Foucault is hard?

And the world will learn to tremble in the wake of Deleuze.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
My summer reading plan:
Victor Davis Hanson:  Carnage and Culture
Aristophanes:  The Acharnians
Boethius:  The Consolation of Philosophy ( in Latin)
Lucretius:  on the Nature of the Universe
Donald Kagan:  the Peloponnesian War
Fr. Alexander Schmemann: for the Life of the World
Anthony Everitt:  Cicero
Seneca:  the Apocalocyntosis of the Divine Claudius

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
^Nice. My summer reading is probably going to look something like this:

Quran
Sahih Al Bukhari (abridged)- Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan
501 Arabic Verbs- Raymond Scheindlin
Learn Arabic Language of the Qur'an- Dr. Izzath Uroosa
Media Arabic: A Coursebook for Reading Arabic News- Alaa Elgibali and Nevenka Korica
Introduction to Sahidic Coptic- Thomas Lambdin
So You Want To Learn Coptic- Sameh Younan
A Study in Bohairic Coptic- Nabil Mattar
Grammaire Copte- Alexander Mallon (translated into English)
College Latin
Wheelock's Latin Grammar
Familia Romana (with its "companion" book)
An American Childhood- Annie Dillard
On Writing Well- William Zinsser
In Cold Blood- Truman Capote
A Brief History of Time- Steven Hawking
Six Easy Pieces- Richard Feynman

But considering what a procrastinator I am (I am supposed to be finishing an essay as I type this), I'll be proud of myself if I finish even half of these books.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Severian said:

Quran
Media Arabic: A Coursebook for Reading Arabic News- Alaa Elgibali and Nevenka Korica
College Latin
Wheelock's Latin Grammar

But considering what I procrastinator I am (I am supposed to be finishing an essay as I type this), I'll be proud of myself if I finish even half of these books.
If you make it to the Latin and need/want some assistance, let me know.  I teach that subject for a living.  I always appreciate people reading the classics in the original.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
^Thanks for the offer. Definitely.

I decided to put off Ancient Greek and learn some Coptic and Latin instead. Plus, I also think a background in these two languages will help me learn the former.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Severian said:

Quran
College Latin
Wheelock's Latin Grammar

But considering what a procrastinator I am (I am supposed to be finishing an essay as I type this), I'll be proud of myself if I finish even half of these books.
Good Grief! And Good Luck!

If you finish half, especially if you omit the ones I struck out, you are some kinda beast!

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Severian said:
^Thanks for the offer. Definitely.

I decided to put off Ancient Greek and learn some Coptic and Latin instead. Plus, I also think a background in these two languages will help me learn the former.
Latin is a cakewalk compared to Ancient Greek.  Good luck, or bona fortuna