What is everyone reading?

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
The Septuagint as Christian Scripture: It's Prehistory and the Problem of Its Canon, by Martin Hengel
Would you mind giving a really minimal summary of it, like what you find on the back of books?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
deusveritasest said:
Asteriktos said:
The Septuagint as Christian Scripture: It's Prehistory and the Problem of Its Canon, by Martin Hengel
Would you mind giving a really minimal summary of it, like what you find on the back of books?
Unfortunately the back of the Hengel book just has quotes from other people about how great the book is supposed to be… e.g. “It is written with erudition but also with sufficient clarity… etc.” However, Amazon.com gives this description:

“In this work, world-renowned scholar Martin Hengel laments that so few people (including scholars) appreciate the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the Old Testament), considering it a '’mere translation.‘' By contrast, Hengel recognizes the Septuagint's historical and theological value, noting that it is the first complete and pre-Christian commentary on the Old Testament. The Septuagint as Christian Scripture focuses on a key question: How did this collection of Jewish writings in the Greek language become the authoritative Old Testament Scripture in the Christian church? In the process of answering this question, Hengel touches on the development of the canon and the relationship between church fathers and Scripture.”

Hengel actually does something interesting in that, apparently, he disagrees to some extent with the person who wrote the introduction. Hengel says in the preface: “The important introductory essay which Prof. Dr. Robert Hanhart, the great Septuagint scholar, contributed to this volume goes back to a Tubingen Oberseminar during the winter term of 1990/1. At this Oberseminar I delivered a short version of my book which on the whole has a long and complicated history. His opinion deviated from mine on several points, and this makes his contribution especially valuable. The problems of the Septuagint need open discussion.” (pp. xii-xiii)

I haven’t read far enough to discover on which points exactly their opinions diverge. There is a partial preview of the book on Google Books (if nothing else, the table of contents, can probably tell you as much about the contents of the book as the above blurb from amazon).

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Asteriktos said:
Out of curiosity, does anyone else have a specific translation that they'd recommend (I am not, of course, ignoring your suggestion Gebre :) )? I also had difficulties with The Brothers Karamazov.  The version I tried before (and still have, since I was planning on giving it another shot) is a Barnes and Noble edition translated by Constance Garnett.
Asteriktos, I recently purchased the Vintage Classics offering, translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky.  This is a new translation that came very highly recommended. 

Unfortunately, I can't personally attest to the translation's quality yet, but The New York Times Book Review wrote of Demons (I know you specifically asked about Brothers Karamazov, but these translators also recently did Demons and Crime & Punishment too) that "The merit in this edition... resides in the technical virtuosity of the translators ... They capture the feverishly intense, personal explosions of activity and emotion that manifest themselves in Russian life."
Specifically on Brothers Karamazov:
"This scrupulous rendition can only be welcomed.  It returns us a work we thought we knew, subtly altered and so made new again." -Washington Post Book World
"It may well be that Dostoevsky's [world], with all its resourceful energies of life and language, is only now--and through the medium of [this] new translation --beginning to come home to the English-speaking reader." -NY Review of Books.

Hope this helps.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Cognomen said:
Asteriktos, I recently purchased the Vintage Classics offering, translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky.  This is a new translation that came very highly recommended. 

Unfortunately, I can't personally attest to the translation's quality yet, but The New York Times Book Review wrote of Demons (I know you specifically asked about Brothers Karamazov, but these translators also recently did Demons and Crime & Punishment too) that "The merit in this edition... resides in the technical virtuosity of the translators ... They capture the feverishly intense, personal explosions of activity and emotion that manifest themselves in Russian life."
Specifically on Brothers Karamazov:
"This scrupulous rendition can only be welcomed.  It returns us a work we thought we knew, subtly altered and so made new again." -Washington Post Book World
"It may well be that Dostoevsky's [world], with all its resourceful energies of life and language, is only now--and through the medium of [this] new translation --beginning to come home to the English-speaking reader." -NY Review of Books.

Hope this helps.
Yes, thank you for the suggestion :)

chatelaa

Reaction score
Ortho_cat said:
just started reading 'the case for god' by karen armstrong.
Let us know what you think of it.  I've wanted to read it, but I keep postponing it (for some reason!).  I think it's because it might be too academic for my tastes.  But let us know.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
JLatimer said:
Rereading Homer's Odyssey.
Given your screen name, I hope it is the Lattimore translation. Or if in the Greek, God have mercy on you.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Transmission of the Text of the Holy Bible, by Constantine Siamakis
Thank you for the reminder about Hengel. He fell off my radar.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
"Faceless Killers," by Henning Mankell. It was book one of the Kurt Wallander series.

Manalive

Elder
Reaction score
The Idiot- Dostoevsky

and rereading: Fathers of the Eastern Church

Waiting list:
Moby Dick- Melville
The Reivers- Faulkner
Love in the Time of Cholera- Marquez

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works, by Hieromonk Damascene

I haven't read this new version yet, and it was probably 8 years ago that I read the Not of This World version, so I've probably forgotten quite a bit. This book has had a huge impact on my priest since he read it a year ago... maybe there'll be a similar result with me  :)

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"About Time", a collection of wonderful short stories (most dealing with time travel) by the late great +Jack Finney.  (He also wrote some great novels, like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "Time and Again".)

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
chatelaa said:
Ortho_cat said:
just started reading 'the case for god' by karen armstrong.
Let us know what you think of it.  I've wanted to read it, but I keep postponing it (for some reason!).  I think it's because it might be too academic for my tastes.  But let us know.
I thought it was an interesting journey through the history of religion, philosophy, and christianity particularly as she shows how humanity has searched for the transcendant reality. Her chapter entitled "silence" which focuses on the eastern mystical spirituality particular to Orthodoxy is worth the read, IMO. She has very liberal views about God and the Bible in general, but her message that conveyed humanities need for contemplating the transcendant in one form or another was convincing.