What is everyone reading?

ImperfectRose

Reaction score
Tried to get around to Macbeth but didn't want to, so now I'm reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. :D

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Just got these books in the mail, and will be starting them tonight...

Dare We Hope "That All Men Be Saved"?, by Hans Urs Von Balthasar
The Collar: A Year Inside a Catholic Seminary, by Jonathan Englert
The Rule of St. Benedict

ImperfectRose

Reaction score
Papist said:
ImperfectRose said:
Tried to get around to Macbeth but didn't want to, so now I'm reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. :D
Lol. Give Othello a go.
Is that another Shakespeare one? If it is, I sadly do not have it. But I have Hamlet, Macbeth and A Midsummer Night's Dream. :p

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
ImperfectRose said:
Papist said:
ImperfectRose said:
Lol. Give Othello a go.
Is that another Shakespeare one? If it is, I sadly do not have it. But I have Hamlet, Macbeth and A Midsummer Night's Dream. :p
Yes, another play by Shakespeare. In fact, it's my favorite play by Shakespeare.

NorthernPines

High Elder
Reaction score
Stone of Tears, by Terry Goodkind which is the second book in the Sword of Truth series of books. I'm hooked on these books now (thanks to the TV series Legend of the Seeker which was based off the books). The TV series was good, but they introduced me to the books and the books are down right fantastic. I don't think I've ever been "hooked" on a particular series of books before, until now. Some heavy duty themes and I'd say definitely not for kids, (not bedtime reading like The Hobbit or Narnia) but they are great.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCollugh, who is the same woman who wrote the "Thorn Birds."

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne" by Brian Moore.  A cautionary tale to women who remain single too long. ;)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Gnostics: History, Tradition, Scriptures, Influence, by Andrew Phillip Smith
Gnosticism: New Light on the Ancient Tradition of Inner Knowing, by Stephan A. Hoeller

Reading both for the second time, I think it's been a couple years since I read anything on the subject.

Rufus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Just finished How to Live a Holy Life by Metropolitan Gregory. Thanks to whoever mentioned this book on the forum--I've also loaned it to a friend who asked to borrow it.

Now I'm reading St. Irenaeus, On the Apostolic Preaching. It feels weird reading an actual Orthodox Church Father instead of just reading about them. I also finally get to learn the recapitulation doctrine that I've been told about for so long straight from an early source.

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Our parish is having a Q&A session coming up about the harry potter and twilight series...and the appropriateness of such. Should be interesting.

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Just finished The Rite by Matt Baglio. An excellent book, written objectively and very theologically supported. But I'm afraid the movie will disappoint.

Selam
Not if Anthony Hopkins is in it... ;)

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Just finished The Rite by Matt Baglio. An excellent book, written objectively and very theologically supported. But I'm afraid the movie will disappoint.

Selam
btw, is it a fairly quick read?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ortho_cat said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Selam
Not if Anthony Hopkins is in it... ;)
I know. It looks good, and I love Anthony Hopkins, but I'm afraid that it will be disappointing. As much as I love Anthony Hopkins, he has been in a few pretty bad movies. No critic reviews are out yet. I'm eager to see what they think.

But the book really was very good.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ortho_cat said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Selam
btw, is it a fairly quick read?
Yes. Of course I am a slow reader, because I am always underlining things and making notes in the margins. But it is very readable and does a good job balancing the true accounts of exorcism with theolgical and spiritual truth.

One thing I really wish is that there were some modern works like this written from an Orthodox perspective.

Selam

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
The Gnostics: History, Tradition, Scriptures, Influence, by Andrew Phillip Smith
Gnosticism: New Light on the Ancient Tradition of Inner Knowing, by Stephan A. Hoeller

Reading both for the second time, I think it's been a couple years since I read anything on the subject.
I used to really enjoy Hoeller.  You can find some of his audio lectures online.  He can actually be very funny!

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Is this your first time reading Dostoevsky?  What do you think?
This is my second favorite novel, next to Crime and Punishment!