What is everyone reading?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
A couple books I just got through interlibrary loan...

Honey from Stone: A Naturalist's Search for God, by Chet Raymo
Religion Is Not About God: How Spiritual Traditions Nurture Our Biological Nature And What to Expect When They Fail, by Loyal D. Rue

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
Just finished "The Reader". Saw the film first, and I have to say that, for a change, I'm impressed with the film adaptation of the book.
Thanks. Maybe I will check it out. Der Vorleser is one of the few texts I've kept over the years. Touches on so many issues which affect my family.

Been wary of spending the time to watch the film.

synLeszka

High Elder
Reaction score
work:
Kodeks Postępowania Cywilnego - Code of Civil Procedure
for fun:
The Young Hegel Gyorgy Lukacs
My Name is Red Orhan Pamuk

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Ella E. Schneider Hilton - Displaced Person
http://www.amazon.com/Displaced-Person-Russia-Germany-America/dp/0807128783

I can't even tell you how much I love that book. I'm re-reading it for the umpteenth time. No time to pick up a new book because of work.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Reading and re-reading my own book, making countless corrections, laboring to ensure that it is faithfully Orthodox, and oh yeah, trying to spot each and every little typo. Very tedious, but I hope that when it's all said and done that God will be glorified. If you think about it, I would greatly appreciate your prayers regarding this endeavor.

Selam

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Way: The Essential Classic of Opus Dei's Founder, Josemaria Escriva

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Hanna Rosin - God's Harvard: A Christian College on a Mission to Save America

It is FASCINATING so far, and also really sad...

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Sign of the Cross: the Gesture, the Mystery, the History, by Andreas Andreopoulos

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Crazy for God - Frank Schaeffer
Moscow Women - Carola Hansson and Karin Liden

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Gebre - God be with you in your writing endeavor.  May your work add to the greater glory of God!

It looks like you all have good Orthodox books to read for Lent.  I probably ought to find something holy to read.  I have spent the last few weeks working through the first chapter of Street Without Joy.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I just finished reading Archbishop: Inside the Power Structure of the American Catholic Church by Thomas J. Reese (former editor at America), published way back in 1989.  I really wish there was an updated version on today's Catholic Church, and also a comparable book for the Orthodox Church.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Entscheidungsproblem said:
Don Pittman - Toward a Modern Chinese Buddhism: Taixu's Reforms
I'm acquainted a with a monastery founded by one of Taixu's followers (Ven. Yin Shun). I have great respect for the monks and nuns I met there. While they are "modern" in their humanistic social concerns, what struck me is that they are very much a revival of classical big-tent Chinese Buddhism in the vein of Tiantai and Huayan. I also appreciated the lack of guru/ "Zen master" worship- none of the monks, even the abbot, put on airs of being enlightened masters. There was just a straightforward teaching of Buddhism without any antics or affectation. 

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
Iconodule said:
Entscheidungsproblem said:
Don Pittman - Toward a Modern Chinese Buddhism: Taixu's Reforms
I'm acquainted a with a monastery founded by one of Taixu's followers (Ven. Yin Shun). I have great respect for the monks and nuns I met there. While they are "modern" in their humanistic social concerns, what struck me is that they are very much a revival of classical big-tent Chinese Buddhism in the vein of Tiantai and Huayan. I also appreciated the lack of guru/ "Zen master" worship- none of the monks, even the abbot, put on airs of being enlightened masters. There was just a straightforward teaching of Buddhism without any antics or affectation. 
It has been a really interesting read so far.  I have a friend who attends the local Fo Guang Shan temple and I was interested in what made them different.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Gebre, If you don't mind my asking, were you thinking about going through an Orthodox publisher, or something non-Orthodox? I was surprised when I read the Writers Market book, that Orthodox publishers (of which there are quite a few) were completely absent.