Reaction score
MyMapleStory said:
Michał Kalina said:
Naruto and Bleach  :angel:
The First one = awesome

The second one = long drawn out fight scenes

But seriously, great manga's.
I feel ya.

Naruto is amazing right now. Bleach has gone a bit Dragonball-Z.

Reading these in Japanese hurts my brain, but I must persevere.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Asteriktos said:
Gebre, If you don't mind my asking, were you thinking about going through an Orthodox publisher, or something non-Orthodox? I was surprised when I read the Writers Market book, that Orthodox publishers (of which there are quite a few) were completely absent.
I'm self-publishing it with Author House right now. But Conciliar has expressed some interest. So, I'm trying to go through it and make sure it's as thoroughly Orthodox as possible. The potential problems I anticipate are:

1) It contains some OO Christological opinions (although I have plenty of quotes from EO Saints as well, and I have tried to emphasize that I believe our Churches hold the same doctrine regarding Christ).

2) It contains some controversial views such as my pacifist position, my view of politics, and my criticism of America.

3) I don't really have any credentials (e.g. I'm not a member of the clergy, I don't have letters behind my name, and I'm relatively new to Orthodoxy).

But, I think that the book will have something for everybody, and I have tried hard to support my opinions with plenty of Scripture and quotes from the Fathers. I truly want it to glorify God and help bring people to Orthodoxy.

Thanks for your prayers.

Selam

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Entscheidungsproblem said:
Lester Del Rey - For I Am a Jealous People

I really enjoyed this.  Just goes to show you the little gems you can stumble across now and then.
Del Ray and Cordwainer Smith... you're getting into some of the good old SF writers that I read when I was a kid.  I'm glad that you're enjoying them.  Have you read others by Smith?

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
Ebor said:
Del Ray and Cordwainer Smith... you're getting into some of the good old SF writers that I read when I was a kid.  I'm glad that you're enjoying them.  Have you read others by Smith?
For Christmas I received The Rediscovery of Man, so I've been slowly getting my way through it.  I've finished all of the "Other stories", and about 1/4 way through the rest.  So far my favourite would have to be "When the People Fell".

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
A Cloud of Witnesses, by Bishop Demetri Khoury

My Soul to Take, by Yrsa Sigurdardottir

Never End, by Ake Edwardson

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Re-reading a favorite, Slavenka Drakulic's How we Survived Communism and Even Laughed.

Haven't had too much time to read...but I'm also reading Metropolitan Kallistos' The Orthodox Way at night. It's as good as everyone else has said! I'm working through the Trinity chapter right now and I think it's a great primer for anyone considering the faith or looking to compare it to the RC beliefs on the subject.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Concise History of Greece by  Richard Clogg

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Administration for Exercise-Related Professions, by Langley and Hawkins
Administration of Physical Education and Sport Programs, by Larry Horine

Administration/management books. Zzzzzz.  :angel:

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ladder of Divine Ascent

Light reading: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I am praying to be reading more of the back of my eyelids.

Some great sleep the last couple of nights. Best reading ever.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
God's War - A New History of the Crusades - Christopher Tyerman
The Love Dare - Alex Kendrick, Stephen Kendrick
The Philokalia - St. Nikodimos and St. Makarios
Praying with Icons - Jim Forest
The Book of Enoch

And my Bible

I'm almost finished with the Book of Enoch and Praying with Icons. 

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
quietmorning said:
The Book of Enoch

And my Bible

Good for you on being able to read (and finish) multiple books at a time.  If I read more than one thing at once reading-ADHD gets the better of me.  I have taken a quick break from Street Without Joy to read the Vietnam chapter in Victor Davis Hansen's Carnage and Culture.  It is a good follow up to The Western Way of War if anyone is interested (which itself compliments The Face of Battle by Keagan).  At some point I am going to reread John Robb's excellent Brave New War and pick up a copy of The Clash of Civilizations.  The problem is if I get too many books in line I will never finish them!  I have been working through Henry Kissinger's Diplomacy for about two years now!

At some point I would like to add some good religious books to my line up.  I read Way of the Pilgrim back in high school and would like to read it again.  I read The Soul After Death and Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr. Seraphim Rose years back and may re-read those as well.  Both were very interesting though at times disturbing.  Hopefully Gebre will keep me posted so I can read his book when he gets it published?

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
vamrat said:
quietmorning said:
The Book of Enoch

And my Bible

Good for you on being able to read (and finish) multiple books at a time.  If I read more than one thing at once reading-ADHD gets the better of me.  I have taken a quick break from Street Without Joy to read the Vietnam chapter in Victor Davis Hansen's Carnage and Culture.  It is a good follow up to The Western Way of War if anyone is interested (which itself compliments The Face of Battle by Keagan).  At some point I am going to reread John Robb's excellent Brave New War and pick up a copy of The Clash of Civilizations.  The problem is if I get too many books in line I will never finish them!  I have been working through Henry Kissinger's Diplomacy for about two years now!

At some point I would like to add some good religious books to my line up.  I read Way of the Pilgrim back in high school and would like to read it again.  I read The Soul After Death and Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr. Seraphim Rose years back and may re-read those as well.  Both were very interesting though at times disturbing.  Hopefully Gebre will keep me posted so I can read his book when he gets it published?
**laughing** this is what a good memory but a very short attention span does for ya!!  My version of flipping channels, I guess. :)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Historical Jesus: The Life of a Mediterranean Jewish Peasant, by John Dominic Crossan

I tried reading this before, but just couldn't get through it all. Once more into the swamp...

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The Catacombs of Rome: And the Origins of Christianity, by Fabrizio Mancinelli
Confessions, by St. Augustine